Author Topic: Joe Haskell  (Read 1851 times)

Offline Amy Jennings Fan

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Joe Haskell
« on: July 15, 2005, 01:52:08 AM »
I have  always wondered if Joel Crothers had decided to stay with the show until it's end, if the show would have lasted longer.

Please answer the following questionarre.....

1. What is your favorite Joe storyline or time period?

2. What would you have wanted for Joe if the character had stayed until the end, or what do you see what the writers could have done?

3. Who would Joe ultimately end up with if it was your choice?

4. Would the show have lasted or been better in its final years had Joe been present?

Thanks for answering!

Konnie
No Jesus, no peace. Know jesus ,know peace.

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
Re: Joe Haskell
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2005, 03:42:51 AM »
I really haven't seen enough of the early years of the show to comment, however my favorite character of Joel Crother's was Nathan Forbes. I absolutely loved to hate him.

2. What would you have wanted for Joe if the character had stayed until the end, or what do you see what the writers could have done?
I've never really given it much thought, but somehow [spoiler]he could have been released from the sanitarium, having gotten over his shock about Chris, and either helped Chris out or taken Amy in to save her from Chris' eventual self-destruction.[/spoiler]

Definitely not Sabrina, I don't think I could stomach her much more.

4. Would the show have lasted or been better in its final years had Joe been present?
So many of the original actors were gone by this point that I think it would have been a good tie to the beginning.

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2005, 02:26:57 PM »

I think JH was the only present day (or 1960 character) that improved as things progressed. As much as I prefer early DS Joel Croethers was great and affecting when he got vampire slammed by Angelique. I think this must have been right before he left the show. I liked the dark circles under his eyes and that he always seemed to be sweating. It must have been the actor's decision and it worked well for this campy story.

If the writers had not ventured into monster camp territory cause I can't watch DS at that point - such an intelligent, balanced and handsome young man should have gone to college or graduate school (was he a fisherman?) gotten a profession of some sort. I never liked Joe and Maggie so I would have eventually broken em up but kept them as friends. Sadly, this is the kind of character that should have moved away into the big city so maybe I might have him leave and come back periodically to witness the Colinwood madness.

As they were Maggie and Joe were too bland for me. I can't think of anyone that was on the show, possibly a new character but I would have experimented with different women. Actually, now that I think about it I might have put Maggie and Joe back together again after a long separation perhaps 10 years later or so. That might have been cool.

I consider Joe and Joel Croethers to be one of the most normal and least campy of all the characters and actors. More Joe would have meant less camp and I'm all for that. They needed more people like this to balance items like Barnabas, time travel, Josette, Angelique and all that stuff. Dark Shadows might have lasted longer if they had moved the show into two different directions - 1) just normal folks getting along and coping with the mysteries around them and 2) tragic larger than life types like Barnabas and how they affected their environment.

Offline Satan

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2005, 05:22:15 AM »

Joe was a bit boring for me. I am just judging on the Barnabas years. I haven't seen the episodes without Barnabas just yet. I did however love Joel as Nathan. He was great in that part.

I would have wanted anything for him but his last few episodes on DS. Joe was written out of the show badly. I did not care for him especially when he [spoiler]learned Chris was a werewolf[/spoiler]

Victoria. I couldn't stand Peter and I thought Victoria and Joe would have been great together.

Once Jonathan wanted out of the Barnabas role and they kept using time traveling for stories, this show was done. Nothing or no one could have saved it.

Offline Amy Jennings Fan

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2005, 06:59:20 PM »
I would have liked for Joe to be released from the sanitarium, having gotten over his shock about Chris and either helped Chris out or adopted Amy to save her from Chris' suicide. since he is her cousin. I would have also like for Joe to get back with Maggie and get married.

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2005, 11:20:32 PM »
I would have liked for Joe to be released from the sanitarium, having gotten over his shock about Chris and either helped Chris out or adopted Amy to save her from Chris' suicide. since he is her cousin. I would have also like for Joe to get back with Maggie and get married.

Those both sound nice.  I think I'm with you on that!!
Josette

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2005, 02:06:00 PM »
He was good but i don't think anything would have save the show unless
Frid had come back as Barnabas and a new twist was added
i also liked him as Nathan but would have liked to see Joe with a new and improved Maggie

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Maybellique

• Full Poster
  • To HELL with canon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2005, 01:43:41 AM »
Here are MY answers. Mind you, Konnie, I'm not a huge Joe fan... I'm more into Willie than anything else, as my avatar suggests. But DS in general (and all questions within) are fun for me. :) So, here goes:

1. What is your favorite Joe storyline or time period? I'm not sure. Probably the one where he actually has more to do than just sit around and play the bland boyfriend (no offense). I loved it when he was [spoiler]bitten by Angelique.[/spoiler]

2. What would you have wanted for Joe if the character had stayed until the end, or what do you see what the writers could have done? I'd have wanted what Joel Crothers wanted for the character. They should have sent him whirling off in a naughty direction. He needed more to do. He was way underutilized for a main character on the series. Had he been bad, he'd have probably been a lot more appealing to me.

3. Who would Joe ultimately end up with if it was your choice? I agree with Stefan. Anyone but Maggie. They were a very bland couple. Can't see anything happening between them except a normal, boring relationship that would be unsuitable for a soap opera-- meaning: dog, house, 2-3 kids... Boring, boring, boring.

4.Would the show have lasted or been better in its final years had Joe been present? Wouldn't have made a difference. They needed better writers, that's what they needed.

Thanks. That was fun. ;) ~DJ

Offline Amy Jennings Fan

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2005, 01:24:54 AM »

Those both sound nice.  I think I'm with you on that!!

They sure do. The last time Amy lost a brother, she suffered a breakdown and had to be sent to Windcliff. Joe was in the hospital and Chris was far away.

Offline Julianka7

• Senior Poster
  • Collinwood casts a long shadow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2005, 02:25:42 PM »
When Barnabas arrived . When Joe and Maggie were dating.

For Joe and Maggie to get out of Wyndcliffe. Joe comes in as Cannery mgr.

Carolyn. Then he would be in the thick of things.

Hopefully  [hall2_cheesy]

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2006, 03:21:51 PM »

1.My favorite Joe period is when he and Maggie first got together. [spoiler]Carolyn really burned him[/spoiler] and Maggie was just what he needed to heal his broken heart.

2.To be honest I wouldn't have [spoiler]had Angelique attack him, for that was the beginning of the end of him and Maggie.[/spoiler] I would have had Nicholas put Maggie under a spell, making her fall for him and break it off with Joe, Joe realizing what Nicholas had done and set out to destroy him. And then he and Maggie could get married.

3.Joe and Maggie were a cute couple and belonged together. As I say I would have had them marry at some point in the show. Of course [spoiler]Maggie couldn't have replaced Vicki as governess[/spoiler] but that doesn't really bother me.

4.Since ratings had been dropping since the post-1897 story, I doubt that any one person could have saved the show.
Still it would have been nice to see Joel Crothers pop up just to give Joe and Maggie the happy ending they deserved.