Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0820  (Read 616 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0820
« on: October 28, 2014, 04:40:00 PM »
Robservations #820

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0820

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 05:24:43 PM »
Don Briscoe VO.  Tate owns Amanda in his imagination already.  Petofi should really pose for his Hand "portrait"... Magda actually goes to Petofi for help.  Suddenly he's the guy you swallow your pride with and beg for help.  Yesterday he was the mosat evil man in the world who had to be stopped at all costs. 

Oh no! thinks Magda... the gypsies have made the Old House look like it was when Sandor and she lived their on their own!  Gold turtleneck on Johnny.  Well, what do you know, the Hand must have leapt off of Petofi's arm, and obligingly nestled itself back into its convenient carrying case, and hidden under an overturned chair.  End.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 04:06:50 AM »
You've got to be kidding, the hand is back to being solo?! Huh?!?!?! [hall_shocked]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 09:10:12 AM »
Yeah, ain't that a kick in the head?  It's great when they show you something impossible, then you have to go through bizarre scenarios in your head to try to account for it...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 03:12:48 PM »
Petofi visits Charles, who is busy sketching--something. We learn that Charles stayed up all night wondering what the count did to Charity. The count assures him, She's now a thoroughly happy person. When can you start? Petofi asks, shoving the alligator bag in Charles’s face. Don’t be so squeamish, Petofi says impatiently as he forces the bag into Charles’s hands. I’ll be back at one o’clock, and I expect you to be finished. He leaves. Charles glances into the bag, then hastily shuts it with revulsion. [Once again a character played by Roger Davis is forced to do something squeamish that involves a body part in a box. (Remember Jeff Clark robbing graves for Dr. Lang?)]

Tim puts the moves on Amanda so that she'll agree to visit Petofi.

Once again we see the beautiful details of the count's music stand when Magda coms to see him. She wants him to protect her against the gypsies, but he refuses--especially because they don't know he's in Collinsport. He orders her out because he's expecting another visitor. I hope it's King Johnny himself! Magda snarls as she storms out.

Having seen Charles's portrait of Amanda, Petofi is astounded when she arrives. You are very beautiful--one might say almost ideal, he tells her. Have you ever had your portrait painted? No, she replies. Sit down, he says, then asks, When did you first meet Charles Delaware Tate? I don’t even know the name, she replies. Even more astounded and with more than usual interest, he asks, Where are you from? New York, she replies. You were born and brought up there? he asks. Yes, she replies. You must have been seen there by Tate, Petofi says half to himself. What are you so interested in my origins? she asks. I have only half an hour, he tells her, having solved the mystery to his own satisfaction. Kindly state your business. You’re a strange man, Amanda comments, then says, I need your help. I’m in love with Tim Shaw-- Then he is a fortunate man, Petofi comments, what else could he want? I want to get him away from Collinsport, Amanda replies. He came to get revenge on someone, and I’m afraid for him--he might get hurt or killed. What does all of this have to do with me? Petofi asks without much interest. Tim told me that you have a talisman of great power, Amanda explains. That talisman is the only thing that can ensure revenge: I beg you to let him use it just once, she says. I’m so afraid of the danger. Help me get Tim away from here! You must indeed be in love with him, Petofi observes. Has Mr. Shaw told you anything about this “talisman” of mine? Has he told you what it is? No? he adds as she shakes her head. It is this! he declares, and takes his glove off the Hand. As she recoils, he gloats, It has great power--too much power to be meddled with by the likes of Tim Shaw. I’m not surprised by this clumsy attempt. I once congratulated him on his choice of enemies. I now congratulate him on his taste in women. But his conception of strategy is pathetically inadequate. As Amanda heads up the stairs in defeat, he adds with a polite bow, Good afternoon, my dear. I hope we shall meet again sometime.

Welcome, Paul Michael, who plays King Johnny with lots of appropriate swagger. He isn't above doing his own house-trashing, as Magda finds out when she returns to the Old House. He announces that she will go on trial because of Julianka's death. Kill me now, she pleads, knowing that (1) he won't find the hand; and (2) that the sentence will be death. But he decides to look for the hand again after putting his knife to her throat to remind her (as if she needs it) what the stakes are.

Amanda has told Tim what happened at the old mill. What are we going to do? she asks. I don’t know, Tim answers, but I have to stay here. You can leave anytime you want, she argues. I prefer to stay, he insists. Why is it so important to get revenge on Trask? Amanda wonders. For once Tim actually answers her question: He’s responsible for the deaths of two people, one of whom happened to be very close to me. I loved her very much. As he says this, Tim gets up and walks around the bed, then sits by Amanda’s other side. A woman? Amanda asks. Seeing her expression, Tim explains, I was not in love as you’re thinking, but it was a kind of love. I understand, Amanda says gently. You’d better pack, he concludes quietly. But Amanda says, I’m going to stay a little longer. You refuse to recognize the danger you’re in. I can’t protect you, but maybe I can convince you to leave for your own good. Promise me you won’t have anything to do with Petofi, she pleads suddenly. He’s the most frightening man I’ve ever met. He kept asking me questions about the past, she says, but the way he asked gave me the feeling he was seeing deep inside me. Now we can see that she is even afraid. Petofi’s questions weren’t unusual, Tim says. But she stuns him by saying, Before two years ago, I don’t remember anything about my past.

Wringing her hands very much as Barnabas would do, Magda waits for King Johnny to finish his second search. She walks around the trashed drawing room at the Old House, then straightens the candles in the standing candelabrum. She knows what’s coming and knows she can’t escape it: King Johnny won’t find the hand, and there’s no way she can get it for him. Sure enough, he comes downstairs empty handed--and angrier than ever. I see nothing but a lying, thieving gypsy, he sneers. Johnny, she pleads-- That’s _King_ Johnny! he reminds her. I ain’t got the hand, Magda insists. Then who does? he asks. Magda tries, but can’t say Petofi’s name: I can’t say! she bursts out in frustration and rage. You can’t say, King Johnny mocks her. You are Magda, who can say anything--anything you want to say! Maybe you need some help in remembering, he suggests. I will give you that help. He strikes her face first with his palm, then with the back of his hand. How about that? he taunts her. Do you remember the name? Or do you need more help? he asks as he takes out the knife again. Suddenly Magda spots the casket, which has suddenly appeared under a knocked-over chair. He turns the chair over and picks up the box. You finally realized going against your people was a little too dangerous, he says. She shakes her head silently, but King Johnny continues, You were clever, as always. You slipped it there while I was upstairs. I swear I didn’t, Magda says, because I don’t have it! She’s more terrified than ever. With his back to her, he opens the casket. It’s empty, she predicts glumly. He closes the box, then moves aside. See for yourself, he says. She opens the box--and is horrified to see a hand inside. It’s even wearing a ruby ring like Petofi’s!....

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 03:30:15 PM »
Oh, yeah, that explains it!