Author Topic: Flubbing common?  (Read 1338 times)

Offline Bj

• Junior Poster
  • I've always been quite fond of you, Liz...
    • View Profile
Flubbing common?
« on: June 24, 2002, 10:55:39 PM »
Was it common during DS's era for other soaps to do the "one-pass videotape no editing" gig?  Did other soaps at the time air with a lot of flubbed dialogue?  Or was ABC simply too cheap with DS?
Jason: "There's just one thing I don't understand..."
Willie: "I didn't do it -- I swear!"

Offline scout75

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • "Sociopathic spinster!" "Histrionic fop!"
    • View Profile
Re: Flubbing common?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2002, 07:24:51 AM »
I think it was fairly standard for soaps to do the one-take thing.  Soaps weren't thought of then as they are now and didn't get the respect they should have from the networks.  After all, in its time, Dark Shadows was thought of as little more than a kids' show. :P

The videotape process was also still very new and fairly expensive at the time as well.

And even during this time, soaps like Edge of Night (where Joel Crothers ended his career) were still done live most days, barring preemptions--which led to some major flubs; the biggest I remember from that show was an actor's toupee coming off during a fight scene! :o

BARNABAS: Here at Collinwood, old hates don't die. They lie in wait for the innocent and unsuspecting...

QUENTIN: We're guaranteed to make you believe (spells) exist. Our entire family can be explained in no other way...

Offline Ben

• Full Poster
  • That night must go ... nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2002, 04:14:14 PM »
And even during this time, soaps like Edge of Night (where Joel Crothers ended his career) were still done live most days, barring preemptions--which led to some major flubs; the biggest I remember from that show was an actor's toupee coming off during a fight scene! :o

LOL!  Now I wonder how many wigs might have been flying, had Cassandra and Mrs. Johnson gone to the mat.   :D

Ben

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2002, 09:53:32 PM »

LOL!  Now I wonder how many wigs might have been flying, had Cassandra and Mrs. Johnson gone to the mat.   :D

ROFL!  Now there's an image.

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2002, 11:24:34 PM »

LOL, I just bet Mrs. Johnson was tougher than her. My money would be on her!  8)
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline scout75

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2002, 11:42:34 PM »

LOL, I just bet Mrs. Johnson was tougher than her. My money would be on her!  8)

You wouldn't be saying that just 'cause she's Harry's mom, would you now...? ;)
BARNABAS: Here at Collinwood, old hates don't die. They lie in wait for the innocent and unsuspecting...

QUENTIN: We're guaranteed to make you believe (spells) exist. Our entire family can be explained in no other way...

Offline scout75

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2002, 08:31:47 PM »
When Cassandra questions , she tells him to go back to Collinwood; trouble is that they're standing in front of Collinwood!