Author Topic: David Selby on SciFi Zone Radio Show  (Read 1495 times)

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
David Selby on SciFi Zone Radio Show
« on: April 29, 2005, 08:10:17 PM »
The official Selby site reports that David Selby will appear on the June 4 broadcast of the SciFi Zone radio show. (This is the same program that featured members of the Central Florida DS Fan Club earlier this year.) The program airs live between 10 pm and midnight ET on AM stations in Missouri and Florida. You can also listen live via their web site. After the initial live broadcast, you can listen to an archived version on the site.

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline LdyAnne

• Full Poster
  • DS fan since 1967- run home from school kid
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
Re: David Selby on SciFi Zone Radio Show
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2005, 11:23:16 PM »
Great News MsCriseyde! I know that the Central Florida DS Fan Club located in Orlando is very excited about this and his book signing the following Friday June 10 in Orlando. Patrick and the club (including your truely) will be out in force.

LdyAnne

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2005, 12:57:02 AM »
wow !! I sure would love to be the one on the radio shoe interviewing the man!!
YUMMY!!             Love Anne :P :P :P ;D
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2005, 03:02:40 AM »
Some additional info . . .

I've been told that the interview should air approximately a half hour into the show (10:30 PM ET) and should last approximately a half hour.

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2005, 02:14:57 AM »
There's been a change in the way SciFi  Zone handles their online broadcasts. The live broadcast is no longer available directly from their site. Instead, the link will now send you to the AM 540 WFLA web site where you will need to register (for free) before you can access live material.

Thought I'd mention this now so that anyone who plans to listen live can get the registration business taken care of in advance and also so that there's a direct link to the broadcast in this thread.  :)

Criseyde

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
Selby on Radio show did anyone listen?
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2005, 12:10:06 PM »
I meant to try and listen over the internet but i got distracted. . how did that happen?  Did anyone happen to listen?
Julia99

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: Selby on Radio show did anyone listen?
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2005, 04:33:00 PM »
Hi Julia i didn't hear it either don't know if we had the station where i live.
                            Take Care Love Anne
:-*
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Selby on Radio show did anyone listen?
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2005, 06:39:47 PM »
Quote from: Julia99
I meant to try and listen over the internet but i got distracted. . how did that happen?

Heresy!  ;)

Did anyone happen to listen?

Yes.  It was conducted via phone from earlier in the week, but he came through loud and clear.  He of course is coming to that state soon for the two readings and signings at Barnes & Noble bookstores.  And he said he's been very busy ("when it rains, it pours").  Then he talked about how "My Mother's Autumn" came about; that he wrote it (39 poems that come together as a story) as a way of dealing with his mother's passing and is very glad he did because it helped him reconnect with her.  Friends suggested he perform and get them out there, but he stayed away from that for a couple of years because it was too close to him emotionally.  He hopes the poems will hopefully speak to some who understand that situation.  He also called them very accessible.

His official site was plugged by the interviewer, who had only high praise for it, at least 3 times.

Of his 4 TV series, Falcon Crest was the longest, and (since the radio show caters to a SciFi crowd) he added, laughing, that some would call it SciFi, since it was a fantasy world.  ("It was a great character.")  He has 3 movies coming out-- the one he just finished ("Unknown") that will be out in 2006 with Jim Caviezel and Greg Kinnear ("wonderful actors") in which he plays a police captain; the 2nd independent film is "End Game" with Cuba Gooding, Jr. in which he has a small character role that he loved playing; also "Black Hole" that isn't yet on the schedule for the SciFi channel.

He hasn't done any radio work in about a year and a half, but he's getting ready for a couple of tours of college campuses with a radio show.  One would be "The Caine Mutiny," which he did for MPR.  He mentioned LA Theater Works, and that he did some radio for the BBC.  He said he loves radio, and it's a terrific medium because you get to play other roles that you may not be able to play on camera.

The time after the break was devoted to DS.  (Selby:  "We're talking a few years ago.  We don't necessarily have to say how many.")  The interviewer mentioned that the local fan club was listening and will be present at his appearances.  He said DS was his first TV work, but he had done theater and continued on stage the whole time he was shooting DS.  "It was a busy time then."  And the show is still holding in there.  He mentioned this year's convention and said he's been told it's expected to be well attended.  He said many of the people working on the show managed to stay in touch, and the Fests allow them to say hello and to thank the fans who have held in there over the years.  He feels grateful and blessed that his fans have followed him from show to show.

DS was successful in creating its own time; it wasn't dependent on computers or high tech.  They used blue screen.  A lot of the things they came up with back then are still utilized today.

So June 8 he'll be in the Miami area and Friday night in the Orlando area.  And in closing, he said thank you to the DS fans down there.

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2005, 04:29:14 AM »
Thanks, Midnite.  ;)

Because they wound up recording the interview in advance, it aired a little bit later in the program than originally anticipated. One of the hosts also referred to David as "David Shelby" during the opening.  >:(

They're rather behind on archiving the broadcasts on the SciFi Zone web site. At the rate they're going, it will probably be another week before they get it online for anyone who missed it.

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2005, 10:53:21 PM »
At the rate they're going, it will probably be another week before they get it online for anyone who missed it.

This is what I get for shooting off my mouth.  ;D

The archived version of the show is now available online. You'll need Windows Media Player to listen. Go to this URL:

http://www.scifizoneradio.com/listen.html#archives

Click on June 4, 2005. (Don't ask me why they didn't list Selby as part of this show. Who the heck is John Coker, and why should I care?  >:D)

Some of the original advertising has been edited out, so David's interview starts at about 25 minutes into the program.

I haven't listened to the archived broadcast all the way through, but, if it's like the original, there will be a lengthy interruption for a movie ticket giveaway.