Author Topic: (Another) Vintage DS Book  (Read 927 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
(Another) Vintage DS Book
« on: August 09, 2011, 06:51:49 PM »
SewingLoves Hilary
Dark Shadows vintage book http://etsy.me/qQ8mQ3 #etsy #vintage #book #darkshadows #1960s
51 minutes ago

If you don't have that Marilyn Ross book, that is a tremendous deal! I've seen copies (and have been lucky enough to sell a copy) for a hell of a lot more than $2.50!

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
Re: Vintage DS Book
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 07:52:44 PM »
i used to have that and maybe still do somewhere.

the last time i moved i sold a bunch of ross novels(and most of my DS vhs tapes)to this funky used book/record/video store in portland called "strange maine".

i honestly don't think i got more than a couple dollars each for them but i just needed to unload. i think i sold that ghastly barnabas "joke" book too(breathtaking in it's unfunniness)but now i wish i still had it.

i don't think i ever paid more than six or seven dollars for a ross novel and some i even got for three or four bucks.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 04:25:53 PM »
Believe it or not, back in the '90s I sold a copy of that book on eBay for $15.50. Not that I set that as the price. I set it at $2 - but people just bid and bid and bid. But that was back when selling DS merchandise brought in insane amounts on eBay. I mean, people were paying like $10-$15 a card for some of the Philadelphia Chewing Gum pink and green card sets - and as nice as it must have been for the people who sold them to make that sort of money, that was just ridiculous!  [ghost_shocked]  I sold a green set for $430, which seems insane as well - but at least that was just about $6.50 per card. And again, I didn't set the price at $6.50 per card. I think I listed the whole set for $100, which would have been about $1.50 per card, but people just bid and bid and bid...

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 09:11:33 PM »
Didn't buy the joke book or the collection of werewolf and vampire short stories personally selected by Quentin and Barnabas. But I did buy the entire Ross series. Still have them and the cookbook around someplace.

Eggs Barnabas anyone?
Fade Away and Radiate

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 02:36:53 AM »
My local library had a paperback swap rack, where people could take or leave books for free.  One night, I went in and found several of the Ross DS novels, so I grabbed them and, on a hunch, asked the librarian if they happened to have any others that they hadn't put out yet.  She went into an office and came out with a bag containing nearly all of the titles and handed it to me.

Another day, I was looking in a thrift shop at some books and saw, much to my surprise and pleasure, a copy of the HODS novelization, being sold for ten cents.

I eventually completed my collection through eBay, which at times was a bit pricey, but offset by getting the majority of the books for a dime.

Offline Robot_Quentin

• Senior Poster
  • Born during episode #566...... For Real!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 04:33:47 PM »
I mean, people were paying like $10-$15 a card for some of the Philadelphia Chewing Gum pink and green card sets

Uh yeah, that was me... a green one with Julia and Quentin 1897. Couldn't on a bet tell you where it is now. Probably stuck in a book somewhere. Someday it'll turn up!
Robot_Quentin: "I've never watched the last episode, so the show never ended for me."

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: (Another) Vintage DS Book
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 04:03:42 PM »
SewingLoves Hilary
Dark Shadows Paperback Book Remember this?? #Etsy #darkshadows #vintage #books http://etsy.me/qHOKIW via @Etsy
16 hours ago

This time it's The Foe of Barnabas Collins.  [ghost_smiley]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: (Yet)(Another) Vintage DS Book
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, 12:02:06 AM »
SewingLoves Hilary
Dark Shadows Paperback Book Just listed! #Etsy #books #darkshadows http://etsy.me/mSBxWd via @Etsy
1 hour ago

This one is Barnabas, Quentin and the Serpent.