Author Topic: "Stranded" in Seaview Terrace on the Syfy channel  (Read 1271 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
"Stranded" in Seaview Terrace on the Syfy channel
« on: March 07, 2013, 05:58:24 AM »
This week's episode of "Stranded" on the Syfy channel, titled "Seaview Terrace," airs tonight and repeats March 7, 11/12 and 13.  "Three New Yorkers travel to Newport, RI, where they're stranded in a haunted mansion."  Check your listings for the times.

Episode clip:  http://www.syfy.com/videos/Homepage/vid:2629024

Offline patrickm

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
Re: "Stranded" in Seaview Terrace on the Syfy channel
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 04:09:38 PM »
Well, I know all us Dark Shadows fans have a genuine warm spot for Seaview Terrace - but this show was awful! Aside form the fact it was very hard to sit thru for an hour, the entire setup was ludicrous and badly overacted. The girl behaved like she was auditioning for Paranormal 16 - or however far they take these movies. I've seen more believable episodes on Scooby Doo. Still, whatever money the Careys got goes for a good cause - repairing Seaview.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 07:23:48 PM »
Well, at least the cause was noble.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 05:22:37 AM »
does this have anything to do with that event that kathy cody and sharon smyth lenz are doing out at seaview in may?

it's some sort of "ghost hunt" type thing i believe with a bunch of people from syfy.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 03:20:05 PM »
The whole thing was ludicrous.  I'm sure most of you know this, but in case a few are not aware.
1. There is power in the house.
2. The house is not abandoned. I'm not sure if they actually stated it wasn't but that's the impression I received.  The residents had to move to the gatehouse for the duration.
3. All modern electronics were either not shown or moved. In the sunroom, above the fireplace, there's usually a high def TV. That was taken out. In the ballroom, there's a projection video system for watching movies. You can kind of glimpse it for a split second in one shot.
4. The "old time radio" Mrs. Bradley was broadcasting on is a CD player/radio combo. The implication I perceived was that it was some antique they'd stumbled upon. They'd actually moved from a table in the sunroom into the ballroom.

Many people have claimed to have seen and heard things in that house. These are people I respect and find credible. However, I have spent about 60 days in that house over tha past couple of years. I've never seen or heard anything out of the ordinary. I remaine open-minded but unconvinced.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 09:59:19 PM »
does this have anything to do with that event that kathy cody and sharon smyth lenz are doing out at seaview in may?

it's some sort of "ghost hunt" type thing i believe with a bunch of people from syfy.

I wasn't sure so I looked up the individuals involved.  The guests at the May event (that's open to the public) have all shown up in SyFy's Ghost Hunters franchise, and there are other events like it in other cities.

Behind the Stranded series are the producers of SyFy's Destination Truth and another channel's Finding Bigfoot.  [The other prod. co. behind Stranded made a bunch of paranormal/scifi movies.]

So I guess my best answer to your question is that the people involved are associated with different paranormal "reality" TV crap.  My apologies if that offends fans of their shows.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 10:43:37 PM »
i thought that salve regina college currently occupied the house...

is that not correct? why are people carrying on as if it is abandoned? and given the house's history as the exterior location for DS wouldn't claims that it was "haunted" have emerged decades ago? i've never heard a peep about that until very recently. [snow_rolleyes]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 11:20:53 PM »
No, Salve no longer rents the property. Denise Carey, daughter of the owners lives there along with a few boarders.

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 11:23:27 PM »
Several people who I know and respect, including my daughter have experienced strange things there. My daughter left some objects in locked room. The next day, they were moved. Another friend felt something in one of the rooms, a presence. Again, she's a level headed, intelligent person.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 12:21:38 AM »
The whole thing was ludicrous.

That's putting it kindly. I finally got around to watching it today and couldn't get over the whole thing.  [snow_rolleyes]  And beyond the things that you mentioned, they also played fast and loose with with some of the areas of the house, inferring/implying they're on one floor of the house when they're on another and turning the lights on in one room but from the outside showing lights going on in a totally different room. But then those are the tricks of editing, I suppose. And anyone who isn't aware of the interior of the house, which would be the vast majority of the people watching, wouldn't have been aware of most of that - though some of the tricks they pulled were pretty glaring.

As for the supposed supernatural elements uncovered on the show, well, the way they depicted them was an insult to people who've actually experienced odd things there. But then SyFy is hardly above producing insulting material, now are they? I mean, just look at how the thankfully shelved DS edition of Sciography turned out.  [snow_angry]

Anyone wanting to watch a paranormal investigation of the house should stick to the Ghost Hunters installment. Sure, it had its flaws - but it's an Academy Award winning documentary in comparison to what Stranded subjected its audience to.