Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #1008  (Read 2229 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #1008
« on: May 26, 2010, 09:38:14 PM »

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Discuss - Ep #1008
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 06:14:06 AM »
Ang VO-- "The night continues toward a darker hour than this Collinwood of another, yet concurrent time."   A sentence fragment if I didn't write that down wrong.   A strange yet likeable sentence.  And I know, those were sentence fragments too.

I had occasion last night to try "Hoffman House" tartar sauce again.   It's okay if you aren't all that obsessed with what things taste like.   Anyway, with Hoffman back from the vacation she enjoyed so much, to fill all of Collinwood with her snooty presence, I took note of the name.
http://www.bayvalleyfoods.com/products/retail/sauces.html

Why'd Hoff hang the Barn portrait in the foyer?   Is everyone on a Barn-caused telepathic buzz now?    Quentin should suspect "Alexis" of being behind the RT room.    She hangs out there after all.    Daniel hears the heartbeat... but do vampires' hearts beat?    Why are PT people suddenly seeing RT?    Something to do with Barnabas finally having had enough?   Lots of close-ups of eyes and lips.  

I like Q puzzling over Barnabas, just as Barnabas puzzled over the presence of Quentin's ghost in RT.    Great to see Barnabas as a source of mystery.   This was needed to reinvigorate and revalidate the character.  

PT makes more sense to me in DS than it did in Star Trek ("Mirror, Mirror").   Opposite personalities is more of a magical concept than a science-fiction concept.   There may be other universes, but I don't think physics cares about our idea of good and evil, or opposite personalities...

A seance!  Yes, they've always worked out in the past!   This is just such a classic sort of DS idea, that you get in no other show anywhere!   They're calling on a spirit of a man long dead in their world, but a visiting undead version from a universe next door is visiting, so....  You wonder, what could possibly happen here?   What an intriguingly confused supernatural mess!

And... who's that?  I don't remember!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 11:15:23 PM »
Angelique clearly loves her son, in a good way.  She had a lovely smile on her face as Daniel talked about hearing his mother whispering in the conch shell.  What did she want for him?  He's a very nice kid around her, but he wasn't a very nice kid at all around Maggie.  He's got some of his mother's meanness.  Is that something Angelique would encourage in him?

I spent some time just now wondering if Horace Gladstone had threatened to tell Daniel about Angelique's involvement in the murder of Dameon Edwards, but decided that couldn't be the basis for Gladstone's blackmail of Angelique.  I have no doubt Horace could piece the truth together on very little evidence, but I don't think he could build up a strong enough case to persuade Daniel.

Daniel hears the heartbeat... but do vampires' hearts beat?
I was wondering why, all through the 1800s, there was no heartbeat from the portrait.  Is this a vampiric power that takes over a century to develop?  And if so, what vampiric powers might there be that take over a millennium to develop?

Angelique really shouldn't consent so readily to take part in a séance.  She just murdered her sister!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 07:46:26 PM »
The screen captures have finally been added to the Robservations for this ep.  [ghost_smiley]

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 01:52:27 AM »
The heart beat and portrait. Well maybe the portrait wasn't always on the wall

[spoiler]I 1840 it was in Ben's room[/spoiler]

it would seem that the people learned Barnabas' secret It would give them reason
to not have the picture hanging in the foyer.

In Parallel time they really moved around the portrait's. Maybe they had the
portraits in storage and moved them around when people are bored. In DS
they didn't rearrange furniture just the portraits.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 03:03:14 AM »
I like Q puzzling over Barnabas, just as Barnabas puzzled over the presence of Quentin's ghost in RT.   Great to see Barnabas as a source of mystery.   This was needed to reinvigorate and revalidate the character.

Nice observation Magnus.  I really enjoyed your post! :)

5/6/70

The sound sounds very treble with no bass on my copy.  It's great to have GH back.  As Magnus has mentioned the colors are so bright.  Take Angelique's yellow short for example! I love David H's leather jacket!  I wonder if I could find one in my size?
Hmm….perhaps at a retro store! 

The portrait and Barnabas seem to have some sort of strange connection and I wonder too why there is a heart beat!  I smell a back story fan fiction!  LOL—David Selby is molesting the cup he is drinking from! 

Finally it's nice to see the Loomis House again!  I like the fact that in this time it has electricity! 

Well now someone besides PT Quentin has seen the room!   Lord poor David H! His pants look uncomfortably tight. UGH!  Hoffman knows who Angelique really is. 

Convenient way of getting Grayson off for the next day!  Wonder who the spirit is the doorway is???

If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 03:14:41 AM »
Nice observation Magnus.  I really enjoyed your post! :)

Thanks T.   I wonder if they were also using the mysterious build-up to psych JF up for his big return, because [spoiler]once he's back a bit later, he seems much more stimulated and involved than he seemed before, including in the film, to me anyway.[/spoiler]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 04:04:58 AM »
I agree with you on the spoiler part M! 
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 02:40:29 PM »
I had occasion last night to try "Hoffman House" tartar sauce again.   It's okay if you aren't all that obsessed with what things taste like.

Is the flavor of the sauce that bad or is it that it overpowers the seafood or both?
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 12:02:35 AM »
The sauce tasted sort of cheap and unpleasant.   In fact that's how I'm going to put it if they approach me to do an endorsement.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 05:52:39 AM »
You sure it is not what Dr. Julia and Dr Cyrus came up with to pay for their
experiments.  I wonder where they got all their money?
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2010, 08:10:20 AM »
I would say Julia had earned a nice amount of money by the time she met up with Barney. However Cyrus was younger but he still could have made a nice bundle considering he looks 30-35 in my opinion!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2010, 08:55:52 PM »
Wow, it appears Julia really did decide to stay in the empty PT room forever.

Angelique clearly loves her son, in a good way.  She had a lovely smile on her face as Daniel talked about hearing his mother whispering in the conch shell.  What did she want for him?  He's a very nice kid around her, but he wasn't a very nice kid at all around Maggie.  He's got some of his mother's meanness.  Is that something Angelique would encourage in him?

Based on the dream Daniel had in which he kept begging his mother to not laugh at him (#991), I'm assuming that he was the target of some of her meanness while she was alive.

Ah, so that's where Jeremiah's portrait has been-- hanging over the fireplace in Loomis House.  We know that PT Jeremiah and Josette didn't marry, but since his painting doesn't have the preeminent location it had in RT (over the drawing room fireplace), does this mean that Jeremiah also had absolutely nothing to do with building Collinwood?

Okay, taking advantage of the closeup of the new portrait, here is a screen capture of the missing painting from late in Leviathans next to a cap from this episode:

I think the original resembles JF more.

Hoffman:  "I can't!" (before fleeing the seance)
I thought that was a clever way to remove the character from the cliffhanger since she doesn't appear in the next ep.

Anthony Sacco played the caped guest at the seance, though his full head of hair did not match the actor he was standing in for.  I think he also stood in as Peter Bradford's ghost; maybe they should have put a sombrero on him in this ep too.  ;)

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2010, 09:36:17 PM »
Thanks for the information Midnite. I love the little tidbits you through at us about stand in etc.  Since I am a knowledge junkie I love it! ;)

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2010, 05:38:51 AM »
Based on the dream Daniel had in which he kept begging his mother to not laugh at him (#991), I'm assuming that he was the target of some of her meanness while she was alive.
I had forgotten about that dream, so I went back and read about it in the Robservations.  Between episode 991 and this one, there's some food for thought.