Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0397  (Read 736 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0397
« on: February 20, 2013, 05:56:45 AM »
Robservations #397

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0397

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 10:07:17 AM »
I'm going back and forth between having nothing to say on an episode, then pages to say on another.   Joan B VO.   Angelique's interrupted scream was a nice horror device (and they taped it that way twice, so it was intentional)... except that Lara seemed to have to wait for a cue to do it, I'm guessing, making for an awkward pause while Jerimiah redistributes dirt in favor of her location, and she doesn't react at all.

I can totally buy, dom, reckless Ang assuming that just because she knew how to raise the dead, having read the handbook and everything (and this may be a Miranda-free timeline, in which she hasn't tried all the big spells yet), she must have total control of said dead person.   She never concerned herself with what would happen after she's done this to him... he'll just go back where he belongs, no worries! 

Someone once said that basically people only notice other individuals if they are perceived of being "of use", on some level, in some way, this being why old and/or infirm people (and the not conventionally "attractive") are shunted aside so easily.   So Jerimiah post-usefulness wasn't even a factor in her mind (until he made it one).   She never asked anybody for a "get back to your grave" spell.   Instead, she treats Jerimiah like a bad dog, swatting him verbally on the nose with a newspaper as if that will help, which is funny to watch in itself...

There must have been a very nasty video glitch or something, because while Bland is expressing his unease to Barnabas, for a moment an image of Barnabas from a different angle and moment is spliced in.  Other glitches are left in, so it must have been major.

More later.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 03:26:49 PM »
Ben finds Angelique just after she's clawed her way out of Jeremiah's grave. Her gown is of course hopelessly ruined. You’ve done it now, haven’t you? Something’s turned on you for a change, Ben comments--and even now, his tone is not unkind.

Naomi helps Angelique, but all she can find is the plainest of plain white gowns for the wedding. After the bloody Champagne causes Angelique to rush upstairs in dismay, Naomi starts to tell Barnabas, How different it all was from what I had planned for your we-- but stops herself just in time.

This the first appearance (no doubt thanks to Jeremiah) of the music box in chronological time and also the first time we hear the new melody. Angelique is furious Barnabas meant it for Josette, and he is furious at her. Then to top it all off, Jeremiah reappears and prevents her from following Barnabas when he storms out of the room.

Furious and terrified, Angelique shouts, I call on you, Beelzebub to save me! Return this phantom to his grave! I command you to go! Jeremiah mockingly informs her, No one commands me. You will not sleep, he says, until I can sleep. You will not rest until I can have eternal rest. With that, he vanishes, leaving Angelique trembling.

And so begins the night that Angelique Bouchard Collins has dreamed of for so long--her wedding night....

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 04:24:28 AM »
Best visual- Ben: "Where is he now?" (Priceless!)

Favorite Character- Naomi - Still totally likable and getting more likable with each subsequent appearance. Gift's Angelique a family heirloom brooch and a clean dress. Attends the wedding and offers comfort when needed.

Best understatement- Bland: "Something is very wrong in this house, Mr. Collins."

Biggest lie- Barnabas: I do.

Second biggest lie- Angelique: Oh, Ben! I 'm going to change! I'm going to be different! I'm never going to  make anybody unhappy ever again! I swear!

Character most aptly named: Reverend Bland

Ugliest outfit: Ange's post wedding ensemble.

Random thought: Parker and David still acting their pants off!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 05:02:03 AM »
The moment Naomi gave Ang that piece of jewelry for the wedding I thought, "Does Willie sell that later?"

Jerimiah knocks over two chairs, and Barnabas's reaction is to walk up to one and then the other, peering closely at them, as if he thinks the chairs did it to themselves.  You'd think he'd look around the room for the ghost he already knows exists.   This reminded me of the time I tried to teach our family dog to look in the direction I was pointing my finger, when all she'd ever do was look at my finger and sniff it.......

Blood martinis!!  Why so squeamish?  Get used to 'em, Barn!!!   ***   Naomi thinks Jerimiah's haunting is a mystery.   They should all be taking it for granted that it's because Barnabas shot him dead.  That would certainly piss me off.

Music box:  Strange time and place for its introduction.  I wonder if someone thought, "Hey, we should have shown the music box earlier when Barnabas and Josette were in love and everything.  Oops.   Well, better late than never."   You could look at its appearance now as ironic? foreshadowing on the part of a time-transcendant ghost; since Sarah could transcend time, why not Jerimiah?

Barnabas shutting the bedroom doors on Ang and immediately being replaced by Jerimiah was well handled, though we do see a stagehand's hand pulling one of the doors clear.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 09:13:10 AM »
I'm still waiting for Josette's portrait. Maybe once they realized they had forgotten the music box, they figured they'd better get the portrait on the wall. Why it was ever put up at all is strange in the context of the story-line when you think about it, but I guess that will be explained soon enough.

I thought the same thing about the chairs, MT. This was one of those times when the stupidity of it all was more than I was willing to experience more than once. 

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 04:42:50 PM »
Don't worry, dom. The portrait will show up very soon, I believe, in a blaze of ironic glory.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 03:00:47 AM »
Naomi replaces the ruined wedding gown and Angelique replies she will never forget her kindness. WInd blows through the house and the camera used for the close ups had a blur and bluish tint in contast to the good color from the long shots. Its almost as bad as the kinescopes.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times