Author Topic: 8 Worst Soap Opera Re-casting Decisions  (Read 862 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
8 Worst Soap Opera Re-casting Decisions
« on: March 12, 2017, 10:26:40 PM »
Hmmm - how could they forget Alexandra Moltke to Betsy Durkin?!  [wink2]

8 Worst Soap Opera Re-casting Decisions

Probably because no one on the site was even born back then!!  ::)  But they don't even have when Geoffrey Scott was a recast as Billy Lewis on Guiding Light. As I've mentioned before, back in the '90s the soap press repeatedly ripped Scott a new one over how awful they thought he was on that show - and Soap Opera Digest even celebrated when he was eventually fired. It really can't get much worse than that when it comes to any other recast!!

And I don't know why something that's over a year old just showed up today as a link on Entertainment Weekly's Web site...

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: 8 Worst Soap Opera Re-casting Decisions
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 09:40:45 PM »
Hi MB I remember guiding light my aunt used to watch it I did once in awhile .
Love Anne 😊
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 01:02:58 AM »
It's interesting how most of the other re-castings on DS worked.  The actors appeared quite capable of making the characters their own instead of trying to follow the method of the originals.  Sam Evans, Matthew Morgan, Burke Devlin, Willie Loomis.  Even when their portrayals were sometimes (and often) night-and-day, they pulled it off.  I don't know why Ms. Durkin's crashed-and-burned so horrifically.  Maybe she didn't know what to make of the character.  Most of the time she just screamed and cried.  Even Fake Carolyn, in her one-time-only appearance, did a better job.

Gerard

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 01:48:46 AM »
Betsy came to DS with some decent stage credits (Cactus Flower on Broadway) but very little TV work. She was thrust into an ongoing story with little, if any, preparation for the job. She needed a director or coach to help her modify some of her mannerisms. Whether she could have made it as Vicki long-term is something we'll never know.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 02:10:55 AM »
the ill-fated Ms Durkin stepped into the role at an impossibly difficult moment for the character and the show in general. i believe someone here once called the period "ultra-phantasmagorical".

an extremely strange 4 or 5 week period where most of the 1968 plots were flaming out spectacularly and there was about to be an abrupt shift to an entirely different storyline and new set of characters. i haven't seen this particular set of episodes in ages but wasn't Vicki kidnapped, attacked and tortured on an almost daily basis during Durkin's brief tenure? to say nothing of the death throes of the Peter Bradford plot. i just recall her screaming A LOT. who knows how Alexandra would have handled the same preposterous material but she always underplayed nicely. at the very least the audience was used to her.

perhaps she would have eventually mellowed into the role. but in a lot of ways she was in a no-win situation.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 11:00:30 AM »
It seems there were various reasons why Moltke left the show.  The big one, of course, was the she "spectin'."  Apparently, she was also tired of playing only little-goodie-two-shoes-Vicki and wanted to sink her teeth into the opportunity to play a different (and even darker) character like all the other performers did.  Didn't she also state later that she was willing to return (particularly if she got to play a another character here or there)?  I wonder if, let's say, DC had negotiated with her (maybe there was an attempt - who knows?) and she had been allowed to temporarily leave the show (at that time, quite necessary since she was pregnant), how it all would've turned out.  Of course, she would've been gone for months and they could've explained her departure on just going somewhere like they did with all the rest who took sabbaticals.  Maybe, because she was not yet obviously showing, they could've sped up the marry-Jeff-he-then-vanishes story and Liz sends her away for a long rest and vacation to get over her "grief."  Maggie could've still stepped in as the governess, go through the whole Quentin/Beth haunting, and then the 1897 plot with later during it Moltke returns but as another character during that time.  Maybe Lady Kitty?  Or another Gypsy?  Then back to 1969 where she returns as Vicki and they resolve the Liz/Vicki mother/daughter thing as a subplot during the whole Leviathan thing.  In PT70, she could still be Victoria Winters, but working as a maid and an evil henchwoman to evil housekeeper Hoffman.

Gerard

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 04:58:08 PM »
Maternity leaves were not usual back then. Sometimes they were written into the story. Sometimes not. But I think that they show needed Alexandra more than Alexandra needed the show.  I wondered if Amanda Harris or Joanna Mills had been offered to her before the other actresses were cast. DC was probably happy that he didn't have another actor's salary in the budget.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2017, 02:12:48 AM »
Uncle Roger, if DC had decided to re-hire Moltke, after her giving birth and maternity leave, as Amanda Harris would've been brilliant.  What a shock to the audience!  Not that I'm one of those friends who didn't like you-know-who playing her; I never had a problem, even to this day.  I don't see what the issue was.  You-know-who didn't annoy me as much as Peterjeffetc.  Okay, I didn't think he was that bad, either.  He just had problems doing live-on-tape (but had his moments).  But Moltke as Amanda to bring her back into the series?  That would've been brilliant.  But then, they'd have to re-shift the whole Leviathan-Quentin-returns-subplot since Vicki would've returned to 1969 fresh from her missing-Jeff "vacation."  Maybe instead of Amanda still being alive, Vicki could've been her reincarnation and somehow work that in.  Sounds convoluted, but when was DS not convoluted? 

Gerard