Author Topic: Which actors will be attending the 06 fest  (Read 7535 times)

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
Re: Which actors will be attending the 06 fest
« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2006, 08:23:38 PM »
okay folks i live in NYC and a few things for those who haven't or don't visit often.  This is NOT the NYC of the 1970s; its safe to ride the subway and cheap .. you can go from the Brooklyn Marriott to Times Square in 10 mins on the subway.   My recommendation would be getting a 3-day subway/bus pass then you can ride to your heart's content and visit various other spots in the City. . i.e. catch the A train to Times Square and then walk over 2 Avenues to the old studio. .  or east to Carnegie Deli (near Carnegie Hall).  There are things to do in Brooklyn but it's not as easily apparent to out of town visitors.

Yeah, I don't see why ppl are buggin!  Brooklyn kicks ASS!  Some very cool entertainment types come from Brooklyn--Lou Gossett Jr., Eli Wallach, Neil Sedaka, Neil Diamond, Al Lewis, Barry Manilow, Richard Lynch, Marissa Tomei not to mention our very own Johnny Karlen--just to name a few.  Besides, the hotel is literally 2 stops from Manhattan and probably only a dozen or less to Times Square!  Do you guys REALLY want to pay $200 or more for a hotel room at a mid-town Fest?  Because that's what it would cost!  That's prime real estate baby!  Why should any hotel charges less than that if they can get that, or more?  Besides, when they used to have these things in Newark it was a longer ride into the city.  Be grateful it's NOT in Tarrytown!   8)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2006, 07:14:13 AM »
This is NOT the NYC of the 1970s;

Funny you should say that.  I caught part of the movie DEATH WISH, which is set in NYC in the 1970s, and features Charles Bronson as a vigilante who encounters a criminal on every street corner.  I found myself thinking, "Was New York really like that?"  I went to school there in the late 1980s, went out at all hours of the night (love those 24-hour delicatessens!), and never felt that I was ever in any sort of danger.

I'm really looking forward to this year's Fest...

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
  • It's an Orbach's, darling...
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2006, 10:11:21 AM »
okay folks i live in NYC and a few things for those who haven't or don't visit often.  This is NOT the NYC of the 1970s; its safe to ride the subway and cheap .. you can go from the Brooklyn Marriott to Times Square in 10 mins on the subway.   My recommendation would be getting a 3-day subway/bus pass then you can ride to your heart's content and visit various other spots in the City. .

thanks for adding your 2 cents J99...  8)
Even though I reside in a comparatively smaller city, The idea of commuting would not necessarily intimidate me since I use public transportation every dang day...as long as I had a map and schedules, I'd be good to go...

[book_study]

W: http://hrh22.home.comcast.net

In case you didn't realize....Julia rules!  :-*

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 15, 2006, 04:58:32 PM »
We don't live in NYC, but we've been letting our daughter go there by herself since she was 15 years old. She's always been able to find her way all over Manhattan by subway, and never once came home with a horror story.

Just don't try to ask for directions from a person who's running like hell for their commuter train.  [lghy]
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 15, 2006, 11:46:48 PM »
I have lived in NY my whole life, first The Bronx and then Queens.  There was a lot of crime back in the 70's and 80's and places like Times Square back then weren't  places youwent alone, especially at night, it was a far cry from the Disney like athmosphere today..  You couldn't take the IRT subway after 10pm, especially to the Bronx.  I was in college in the mid 80's and didn't have a car, which meant I couldnt go anywhere in Manhattan at all for the nightlife.

I remember a situation in Chelsea in the late 80's where a couples phone did not work and the husband went outside to use the pay phone and was shot and killed.  That was the type of threats faced by New Yorkers.