Author Topic: ShadowGram #159 / merged w/ ShadowGram's Obituary for Craig...What is up here?  (Read 16532 times)

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
Re: ShadowGram #159 / merged w/ ShadowGram's Obituary for Craig...What is up her
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2006, 12:09:58 AM »
Yes, it is sad when anyone has to pretend to be something else he or she is not for the sake of a career or, in some parts of the country and world, just to not get beaten up or killed.  In any obituary the family should be mentioned and certainly in the case of a homosexual couple, the surviving partner.  This strays a bit from DS but does anyone remember the All in the Family episode where Edith and Archie travelled somewhere to visit a cousin's home - the cousin had recently died.  Anyway, the cousin had a "special friend" and Edith and Archie soon found out that the "special friend" was in fact the cousin's longtime lover.  Archie wigged out, of course, Edith reminded him that "you ain't God" and a special family heirloom Edith was planning on taking home with her was instead given to the girfrlend of the cousin. "I think you should have this instead," Edith said, something like this.  As  a teenager watching the show, it was a lesson to me as I had not much exposure to what gays have to endure at times and it taught me something.  It's that lesson that causes me to be sad Joe was not mentioned in the obit.   I learn other lessons from my friends and my brother who have had many trials to face because of their sexuality.

If someone has a problem with homosexuality, DS fandom is a really bad place for him or her to be. ::)

Nancy

And I saw "Boys In The Band" with Craig when he first moved to NYC. I will speak only for myself here I knew Craig Hamrick very well. I loved him, most of alll I respected him. For the way he lived and died. He felt sad that men had to pretend to be something they weren't for the sake of there careers. He wrote about this in "Big Lou" He was told many stories about hidden love affairs. But those stories took place in the 60's. This is 2006 and you delete a post I wrote about someone being gay? Next time you are at a fest take a long look around you you meant see some gay people.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: ShadowGram #159 / merged w/ ShadowGram's Obituary for Craig...What is up her
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2006, 12:13:52 AM »
I agree with what the posters are saying about the neglect in mentioning Craig's partner Joe, but lets not get lost, a wonderful person has passed away and we should stop the bickering and concentrate on Craig and his legacy.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I believe there are quite a few people with this problem, Janet.  There isn't anything stupider in my mind than being jealous over someone's friendship with an actor or any celebrity.  As if being friends gets your taxes paid for free or makes life wonderful.

Nancy

Also Craig not alone befriended Nancy Barrett it was him that convinced her to come to a fest. He organized all her performances at the fest and in other areana's. Craig was very close to some actor's that appeared on DS maybe this didn't sit will with other people.

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2006, 12:30:08 AM »
Yes, it is sad when anyone has to pretend to be something else he or she is not for the sake of a career or, in some parts of the country and world, just to not get beaten up or killed.  In any obituary the family should be mentioned and certainly in the case of a homosexual couple, the surviving partner.  This strays a bit from DS but does anyone remember the All in the Family episode where Edith and Archie travelled somewhere to visit a cousin's home - the cousin had recently died.  Anyway, the cousin had a "special friend" and Edith and Archie soon found out that the "special friend" was in fact the cousin's longtime lover.  Archie wigged out, of course, Edith reminded him that "you ain't God" and a special family heirloom Edith was planning on taking home with her was instead given to the girfrlend of the cousin. "I think you should have this instead," Edith said, something like this.  As  a teenager watching the show, it was a lesson to me as I had not much exposure to what gays have to endure at times and it taught me something.  It's that lesson that causes me to be sad Joe was not mentioned in the obit.   I learn other lessons from my friends and my brother who have had many trials to face because of their sexuality.

By the way, the episode Nancy's referring to is from Season 8, which is not on DVD yet.

A little bit of a sidebar, but I'm sure Craig, author of Classic TV Quiz books would not mind. ;)

Offline Phoebe

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2006, 12:51:57 AM »
 Hey Darren, Craug and I had a running joke about who was the first married couple to sleep in the same bed? does anyone want to take a guess before I write it here?

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2006, 12:58:29 AM »
Carol and Mike Brady?

Hey Darren, Craug and I had a running joke about who was the first married couple to sleep in the same bed? does anyone want to take a guess before I write it here?

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2006, 01:01:59 AM »
How come I wrote a post quoting the NY Times about how the actoris who were in the original play "Boys In The Band"
died deleted?

Don't know what you're talking about.  The only posts deleted from these boards in the past 2 weeks were duplicates.  And quoting the NY Times, as long as it's on topic, is not contrary to any board guideline.

Are you sure that the post was submitted?

This is 2006 and you delete a post I wrote about someone being gay? Next time you are at a fest take a long look around you you meant see some gay people.

To whom are you speaking?  Like I said, I don't know what post you could be referring to.

The Forum guideline is as follows:  7. These boards are not forums for the spreading of gossip or innuendo, or the defaming of the DS actors' private lives. Comment on their public behavior, whether it be a personal appearance or in the course of some other form of public exposure (i.e. a talk show, Fest appearance, etc.) is perfectly acceptable, however.

Posting published information is accepted on the boards.  Innuendo and hearsay are not.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
i have tried to stay out of this conversation because i didn't know craig personally.

but the lack of mention of one's life partner in an obituary is a signifigant slight to say the least.when a heterosexual person dies you can bet his or her spouse and children will get words of condolence.

connie,
i'm sorry to hear that you find the subject under discusion here to be "disturbing" and "in poor taste".
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Phoebe

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2006, 01:08:10 AM »
Are you sure that the post was submitted?

Half of it was, the half that quoted the Times about what the actors died from that were in the play "Boys in The Band"
and it is a fact that shadowgram has something againtest gay people also. How many years is it going to say Keith died from Cancer when we know he died of Aids. And the Anthong George thing that was posted before. Why not say he had a life partner. ?

David

Connie~~please wake up
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2006, 01:08:39 AM »
Who should this board & the Fests be safe for Connie?
How about everyone?

Connie, please go back & read my post about how I was accused of child molestation & prostitution
simply because I was openly gay~~an incident my good friend joe integlia remembers.

Thanks in part to Craig Hamrick, and in part to this board, DS Fandom is now safe for me!

Thank you Craig, and Joe Salvatore.
God Bless you both!!!!!!!

I urge more people in fandom, not just gay men, but lesbians, bisexuals, and transgenders to stand up proudly and be who you are.
That is the best way you could honor Craig Hamrick's memory, and the work that he & Joe did together.

Around 1988, I knew somene who was thinking of making an AIDS quilt for Joel Crothers. He didn't go through with it because people on the Fest committe asked him not to out of respect to Joel's wishes.

Come out, come out, wherever you are!
Honor Craig, Louis by being honest about who you are.
In doing so, you'll honor yourself!

David

Offline johnpeternyc

• Junior Poster
  • Hi kids!
    • View Profile
    • Our NEW Web Page
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2006, 01:09:43 AM »
I love you!  This is a perfect summation of my feelings.  Well said and thanks for the visual..I can hear Edith in my head now.

Warmly,
Jojm

If someone has a problem with homosexuality, DS fandom is a really bad place for him or her to be. ::)
Dr. John "DJ" Schaefer
johnschaefernj@aol.com

David

If I may, I'd like to point people to the Michael Korda thread started by Julia99.
There you'll see a link to Craig's obit in San Francisco's
Bay Area Reporter, published today.

Shadowgram, take note!!!!

David

Offline Phoebe

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2006, 01:19:05 AM »
 Yo Connie, answer me this one. Why did shadowgram say Dana Elcar left behind a woman but when it came to Anthony George nothing was said. hummmmmm. And I knew Craig so please don't assume what he would have thought of this thread.  I know what he would have thought of it. And if you want to know read "Big Lou"

Offline johnpeternyc

• Junior Poster
  • Hi kids!
    • View Profile
    • Our NEW Web Page
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2006, 01:19:20 AM »
Trust me Janet we are focused on his legacy.  That is the point here.  Why shouldn't a fan of any age read ShadowGram or any document that speaks about Craig and not get to see the full picture?  What if a fan read this and was so compelled because they loved Craig's work to actually feel confident he to could be successful as an out gay man.  

Let me give you an example of the amazing power of words.  Last night I mentioned earlier Frank De Caro (TV's Ive Got A Secret) was in the audience supporting us.  A young man read Frank's book that he wrote ten years ago.  The book is called "A Boy Named Phyliss".  It is his autobiography about growing up in a homophobic part of NJ to Italian Immigrant parents.  A young mand named Jim Colucci also lived in a homphobic community in NJ nd was conflicted due to also being gay and from Italian immigrant parents.  He read the book.  He found comfort in knowing he was not alone.  It changed his life.  He was able to come out and is now himself a succssful author.  His TV books have sold thousands of copies.  He tracked Frank down to let him know about the amazing impact he had on his life.  He and Frank are also now a couple so that is also a nice bow on the package.  

I agree with what the posters are saying about the neglect in mentioning Craig's partner Joe, but lets not get lost, a wonderful person has passed away and we should stop the bickering and concentrate on Craig and his legacy.
Dr. John "DJ" Schaefer
johnschaefernj@aol.com

Offline Karlenfan

• No..sleep..til..BROOKLYN!
    • View Profile
I am so offended that someone who didn't know Craig would assume anything.... Craig would be the first person on this board defending what he felt was right.  Craig lived his life open and free.  Accepting of those who accepted him.  Everything that SG wrote about Craigs life was true...yet the most important thing...the thing that helped him live for the past 4 years with this horrible disease was left out... How can anything (his writing, his career, his publications) be deemed more important than mentioning the man who held him when he was sick.  

John, you know I love you and Peter very much.... Janet, you are a true friend for my entire life.... and BuzzH....you rock my good friend.... I love you all so much....

Anna

"There's nothing I can do about it!!? Nothing!! NNNNOTHING!!!"