Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0485  (Read 749 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0485
« on: June 22, 2013, 04:20:16 PM »
Robservations #485

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0485

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 04:24:48 PM »
Parker is not the greatest at the OVO but she’s nowhere near the worst. Okay, I’ll ask the question if no one else will – Who the hell is Addison Powell sleeping with or related to, to keep this stint? Julia shows up at Lang’s. He tells her the dream (good lord what a ghastly performance). Lang feels the dream made it clear that the experiment will fail. Julia offers to be his assistant (I figured – or maybe vaguely remembered). Willie seems to have regained his snarkiness – upon hearing the howling dogs he barbs Barn with the comment that perhaps Barn hasn’t really changed that much. Barn issues a nice little speech to Willie regarding his present condition and the experiment and it’s implications. Willie voices his concerns (pretty much, the risks he himself faces if things don’t go as planned). Barn asks Willie to deliver a note to Elizabeth stating he will be gone and a cousin, Adam, from England will be staying at the Old House in his Absence, but she is not home and Willie gets to chat with Cassandra and she gets enough info out of him (but not the note – interesting that she didn’t just cast a spell on him) to screw things up as per usual. Barn shows up for the experiment and we finally see the creature’s/Adam’s face. He looks pretty hunky. As the experiment awkwardly (thanx to Powell’s acting and the hokey set) proceeds, Cass simultaneously voodoos Lang. To Julia’s horror, Lang collapses in agony (boy oh boy was he in agony, lol) – big puff of smoke - Julia pushes Barn out of harms way – and screams out Barnabas’ name. Is Barnabas dead? He can’t be, his eyes are still moving!

Afterthoughts: Nice exchange between Barn & Jules: “Julia, I’m glad you’re here.” Though the writing was a bit shabby, Parker did not disappoint with her voodoo performance – I must say, she really has a knack for this type of drama. Another fabulous scream from Frid. I also liked Karlen opposite Parker – the naturalness he brought to the scene. Barn has one rogue bang, lol. Is this Cass/Ange’s first reveal that she gets her power from the devil himself? (A hint of things to come that the audience could never have been expected to pick up on.) Does Lang really need a full skeleton in his lab? I guess if Dr. Frankenstein had one…

This episode is a must-see if for no other reason than Cassandra’s butterfly dress (courtesy of Ohrbach's).

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 05:57:33 PM »
OMG, not welcome the infamous butterfly print robe/hostess gown/thing of Cassandra! What a hoot! That acid green and pink were a popular color combination way back when.

And of course, welcome Robert Rodan!

Obeying Angelique’s compulsion, Lang tells Julia the dream. She's amused that she didn't say a word to him in the dream. That's a sure sign it was a dream, she comments. However, although Lang is relieved at telling the dream he is not amused, because he thinks the dream was a sign that his life's work will be for nothing. When I saw my creation, he says, I knew the experiment will fail. He continues, The body will start to deteriorate soon, probably in the next forty-eight hours, so I have to act fast. Julia offers her services as an assistant instead of Willie. I've been trained for emergences, she reminds him (as if no other doctor in the world ever has been--but then no other doctor in the world is quite like Julia Hoffman). Lang is reluctant to accept her offer. (Why does she offer to help him when she was so opposed to the experiment until now? My guess is that she wants to make sure Barnabas isn’t injured.)

Barnabas hesitate fearfully just outside the door, gathering his courage before he enters the laboratory, wearing a very plain but blue silk bathrobe (with a V neck, so a teeny weeny bit of frontal nudity!), pajamas and slippers (definitely better than hospital quality, but I can tell you from personal experience that no one ever wears a bathrobe and slippers to the operating room). I am ready, doctor, he says quietly, apparently unaware of Julia’s longing gaze.

Very nice moment when Barnabas takes what he thinks will be his last look at Julia through his own eyes. I’m glad you’re here with me, he tells her quietly. This little crumb is enough to overwhelm poor Julia (though I think Barnabas is really afraid and really means it--for now). Thank you, she replies, giving him a smile that shows her worry.

But meanwhile, Cassangelique is doing her voodoo thing. Lang collapses to the floor, but Julia's thoughts are only for Barnabas as she rushes to his side.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 05:18:51 AM »
Start of the Experiment, though shouldn't the experimenting be over before putting a live patient through this?   Julia just stands there silently while Lang collapses and writhes in pain!   I missed Julia's self-mocking remark about her silence in the Dream...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 03:20:30 AM »
Body will begin to deteriorate within 48 to 72 hours.  Why isn't it in a cooler or better yet hooked up to a respirator.  They could have at least coughed up an old iron lung to put it in.  What about the down time between death, funeral and burial?  Why not steal fresh corpses or kill some seamen.
Barnabas decides to name his new self Adam and assumes that his memory will transfer to the recycled body without a brain transplant. Barnabas says Adam will be a young cousin from England before he even sees the face which Lang reveals later and Barnabas doesn't care about the terrible sewing job Lang has done.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times