Author Topic: Grrr! DS DVD  (Read 7060 times)

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
Re: Grrr! DS DVD
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2002, 12:11:27 PM »
my dear mysterious benefactor... i felt the pixie was better quality too.  

further, i didn't mind the introduction at all.  

i also noticed that as long as i kept my same dvd in my player and then pushed play it would start where i left off.

however, if i took it out to play something else, then i had to start over from the introduction.

again, i'm sure there is no set standard with these dvd players and your experience could vary.  

Offline Stuart

• Full Poster
  • Can you smell chips?
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Journal Online
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2002, 01:28:37 PM »
BTW: your dvd vs vhs comparison is a bit misleading because there's usually some bluring when a vcr is in freeze-frame mode; so the difference probably isn't as dramatic as you have presented it.

It's not misleading -- if anything, it doesn't do the difference justice.  The DVD transfers are so much sharper and more tonal than the VHS pictures.  I wasn't expecting to be that wowed by the picture, but the DVD episodes are so pin-sharp and clear that it's just a pleasure to rewatch these episodes.  It's like viewing a different show to the broadcasts on Sci-Fi.
http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com | The Dark Shadows News Page
http://www.collinwood.net | Visit the Dark Shadows Journal Online

Offline Bj

• Junior Poster
  • I've always been quite fond of you, Liz...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2002, 06:36:42 PM »

Hmmm - I'll have to try that. But, of course, that's merely a work around that we're lucky enough to have access to. Not everyone else's player will have this option. ;) By simply pressing the "menu" button, the vast majority of DVDs will automatically bring you to the selection menu, bypassing the introduction. Or at least that's the case with both my player and my DVD drive's software.

I agree it's not elegant and there's really no excuse for not being able to do this by one click of your remote.  However, you said there was no way to bypass the intro -- I was just offering a solution.  And if you have a macro key on your remote, it's even less painless.

But the VCR wasn't in freeze-frame mode when I took the screen capture. Both the DVD player and the VCR were playing the pre-Barn introduction. So, the difference is probably more dramatic than you might think. [wink2]

I thought that noise at the bottom of the pic was due to it being in freeze-frame.  Then, yes, it really is a dramatic difference.
Jason: "There's just one thing I don't understand..."
Willie: "I didn't do it -- I swear!"

Offline Bj

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2002, 06:43:59 PM »

It's not misleading -- if anything, it doesn't do the difference justice.  The DVD transfers are so much sharper and more tonal than the VHS pictures.  I wasn't expecting to be that wowed by the picture, but the DVD episodes are so pin-sharp and clear that it's just a pleasure to rewatch these episodes.  It's like viewing a different show to the broadcasts on Sci-Fi.

While the dvd quality is a treat, I hope it doesn't eventually spoil the "mood" of the way it was originally broadcast.  I'm thinking of the War of the Worlds dvd: great transfer, but the wires suspending the Martian spaceships are now so obvious!:)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2002, 07:32:09 PM »
Maybe 1 episode per disc could have an audio commentary from one of the actors! Or in the future, the first episode that an actor appears in could get an audio commentary from said actor.

That's an excellent idea....in theory.  The value of it would depend very much on the actor and the "interviewer" if that style was chosen.  It could be interesting and informative...or it COULD just be crazy.

There's an audio commentary on the DVD of John Karlen's film "Daughters of Darkness" that is just out of control.  His comments are so funny (and so bawdy) that they completely overwhelm what's on the screen, and the journalist interviewing him does nothing to rein him in.  I had to keep stopping the DVD player to catch my breath I was laughing so hard.

Now that might have been entertaining in this particular case (the movie's a hoot)....and as some of you know, he's my favorite on the show....but I don't think I'd want him and his anecdotes leaving me in hysterics in the middle of, say, the scene where he opens the coffin....it's supposed to be terrifying, not hilarious!

Just my thoughts on the possibile drawbacks of an otherwise great idea.

Rainey

"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline natewatson

• Thank you very much!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2002, 09:33:18 PM »

There's an audio commentary on the DVD of John Karlen's film "Daughters of Darkness" that is just out of control.  His comments are so funny (and so bawdy) that they completely overwhelm what's on the screen, and the journalist interviewing him does nothing to rein him in.  I had to keep stopping the DVD player to catch my breath I was laughing so hard.

Now that might have been entertaining in this particular case (the movie's a hoot)....and as some of you know, he's my favorite on the show....but I don't think I'd want him and his anecdotes leaving me in hysterics in the middle of, say, the scene where he opens the coffin....it's supposed to be terrifying, not hilarious!

Yes Rainey
I know what you mean. I don't yet have the Daughters of Darkness DVD. I bought it on VHS when it came out...it's a great movie and will definately be represented in the 1971 Blasko Awards.

However, somehow, I wouldn't have a problem with Johnny (or any DS actor) going crazy in the commentary. I mean, when you wanna watch it "seriously", you just turn the audio commentary off, right?

Nathan
Loathsome I am...and evil. You can mock me for that. But leave my pain alone.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2002, 10:18:27 PM »
you said there was no way to bypass the intro -- I was just offering a solution.  And if you have a macro key on your remote, it's even less painless.

I understand, and your solution is very much appreciated. Unfortunately, though, there is no way to bypass the intro on some systems (for instance, my DVD drive). But as I said, it's basically a minor issue at most - especially considering that the intro is very well done and it only lasts for 39 seconds. It's just that it can get a little old after seeing it repeatedly on all four disks. ;) It's also interesting to note that for all the complaints about the Special Edition DVD, it did allow you to bypass the introduction screen if you wanted to.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2002, 10:20:59 PM »

I agree. I love his commentary. It's pure Karlen all the way! [lghy]

Offline Bj

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2002, 10:24:42 PM »

However, somehow, I wouldn't have a problem with Johnny (or any DS actor) going crazy in the commentary. I mean, when you wanna watch it "seriously", you just turn the audio commentary off, right?

Nathan

Absolutely!  I'd love to hear Karlen do commentaries for DS -- especially if he's as entertaining as he was for DoD (too bad I no longer have that disc  :(

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2002, 10:32:34 PM »

I agree, Nathan. I never check out the commentary track(s) until after I've already watched the main attraction. Many times the commentary won't even include the soundtrack so you're basically devoting your attention to what's being said and how it relates to what's being shown, and not so much to the actual storyline.

Offline mpi_dvd_authoring

• I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2002, 12:12:05 AM »
Hi All,

I do DVD authoring here at MPI and although I did not create the first Dark Shadows set, I have viewed all the discs on many different set top and computer DVD players. We always try to create discs that will be compatible with as many players as possible. It's quite rare for discs themselves to be defective, so much as they may be programmed in a way that certain older players, and suprisingly some of the very high end progressive scan new players may have issue with.
We are always interested in knowing about issues with our discs and are open to suggestions to make the experience for you, the viewers, the most enjoyable, with ease of navigation and user guidance programmed on the disc.

For those of you having problems playing these discs on older model players, most manufacturers have created "firmware updates" that solve many problems on the players. You can contact the manufacturer, but there is a website called www.vcdhelp.com with many useful tools, links, and information about players, DVD's and VCD's as well.

Looking forward to your feedback and comments,
db.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2002, 12:28:41 AM »
I do DVD authoring here at MPI

I'd just like to confirm that db is legit and isn't someone merely posing as someone who works for MPI. So, here's everyone's opportunity to get their complaints/suggestions heard by someone who's more than willing to listen. ;)

Offline Bj

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2002, 12:29:28 AM »
Hi, mpi_dvd_authoring.

Can you tell us what kind of extras are in store for future DS sets and set #2 in particular?

Thanks. :)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2002, 12:46:14 AM »

Okay guys....so maybe there IS no downside to having audio commentary on the DS dvd's......unless you count the Parental Warning Label they'll slap on anything the 'Bad Boy from Brooklyn" narrates.... in which case some of our young'uns.....like Lindsey and Daphne....might not be allowed to purchase the darned thing in the first place!!! [lghy]

Raineypark
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2002, 01:08:40 AM »
the Parental Warning Label they'll slap on anything the 'Bad Boy from Brooklyn" narrates....

Can you imagine if Karlen and Dennis Patrick were ever teamed up to do a commentary?! [wink2] Watch out if they got into the whole issue of the ABC censors' concerns that there never be a hint of a sexual relationship between Willie and Barnabas! ;D And if Patrick managed to slip in a few of his limmericks, well, the DVD would not only need a Parental Advisory - the commentary would probably turn out to be NC-17! [lghy]