Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0285  (Read 1813 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0285
« on: April 27, 2007, 07:24:13 PM »

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0285
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 07:57:18 PM »
Vickie, is going off the deep end when it comes to the music box and the past.  She is so ready  to listen to the Music Box, and read old books. I wonder what Barnabas wrote in the book. We never see it!  Then after the fight she runs over to the Old House, is Barnabas going to be her Knight in Shinning Armour and protect her? I know that he wants to indulge her in her idea's of the past. It sure meshes with his.  :-X

[spoiler]maybe this is why she is the one that goes into the past to 1795, beisdes the fact that she is one of the stars. She is the one person in the show that never played anyone else. This is where Vickie, I don't understand got in her way.[/spoiler]

Vickie, doesn't think that it is strange the Barnabas talks about the house, as if he has lived in it before and with such knowledge. Vickie doesn't want to acknowledge what is going on with Barnabas and Past. I think that she revels in it.

[spoiler]I don't think there could have had Mitch Ryan play Jeremiah, I don't think that it would have worked. kLS and Mitch Ryan couldn't have gone together[/spoiler]
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 08:50:28 PM »
[spoiler]I agree about Mitch Ryan, I just can't see him as Jeremiah. And talk about ironic....I think as Jeremiah, Anthony George did have more chemistry with Alexandra than as Burke. I can't really put my finger on it though, but there was a dynamic between them that just wasn't there in present time.[/spoiler]

Burke said it was a mistake wearing those clothes, Barnabas disagreed. Had Carolyn not interceded, we could have seen some real fireworks between those two on that ever heated-subject between them....the past vs. the present...that subject will definitely work its way a little more in following episodes.

Though I do agree with Burke that Vicki needed to take a break from all the history madness Barnabas is subjecting her too, I think it was dopey on him insisting to Barnabas he not give Vicki the book. She found out and got on his case about it and he winded up spending the evening alone. I think Vicki would have gone out if she hadn't found about his request about the history book not being given to her.

Which makes me wonder....did Burke ask Barnabas not to give her the book, or did he flat out tell him he couldn't? I ask this because as time goes on [spoiler]he makes all sorts of demands on Vicki, like asking her to stay away from the Old House and Barnabas without explaining to her why he wanted her to do that.[/spoiler]

Well anyway, good episode.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2007, 09:38:53 PM »
No one ever explains why they want someone else to do something... they just say the other person "must"...!

I think i could see absolutely anyone in the role of Jeremiah.   AG was just neutral for me, but the role may have been.    Virtuous, sensible, upright... who couldn't play that?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2007, 04:01:35 AM »
This is interesting: unlike lori54 and IluvBarnabas, I see Vicky's interest in the past as being perfectly normal and harmless in its present form, and I think that Elizabeth, Carolyn, and Burke are being totally unreasonable.  All this fuss over putting flowers on somebody's grave!  I guess I'm out of the mainstream here.  I grew up on stories of my ancestors - some funny, some sad.  They are real people to me.  My real name isn't Lydia; Lydia is the name of a great-great-great-grandmother of mine whom I rather admire.  Oh, gosh, here I go identifying with Vicky.  Truth sure is stranger than fiction.

And yet I know that Vicky's interest in the past is part of Barnabas's nefarious plan to draw her into his web, and to condition her to the point where she will accept the persona of Josette.  And therefore Elizabeth, Carolyn, and Burke are right, but for all the wrong reasons.  At what point, if I lived with Vicky at Collinwood, would I think a line had been crossed?  and say, "Enough is enough.  Something weird is going on here."  I just don't know.  I know I wouldn't worry about Vicky's "imaginary" sightings of Sarah and Maggie.  The Sarah sighting could be explained by flickering candlelight, and somebody else of Maggie's general size could easily have been in Eagle Hill Cemetery.  But everybody is convinced that Vicky's going round the bend.

It always strikes me as odd, in this storyline, that the Past refers to the time when Josette lived.  Any other time is just not interesting.  Civil War - forget it.  Gay Nineties - dullsville.  Roaring Twenties - no way.  But nobody says to Vicky: "Aren't you being just a bit exclusive here?"

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2007, 04:25:35 AM »
Well, some times were dullsville USA.    To me.  I'm bored easily.    And the characters weren't all used to the idea of Collinwood as Grand Central Station for the Unnatural.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2007, 07:38:49 PM »
This past that interests Vicky is around 1830 at this time.

Barnabas here is a 19th century man playing off Burke, a 20th century man.  Not sure if anything happened around that time period, Cival War is thirty years away and the War of 1812 twenty years in the past.  A very peaceful time in the US I gather.  I could see Vicky being interested in it.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2007, 09:37:09 PM »
lydia makes an interesting point.

the "past" that interests vicki during this part of the show is exclusively the past of josette's time.

around this time she comletely loses interest in the more recent past...say about twenty years earlier...that might have clued her into her own identity.she just waxes nostalgic about josette and gowns and music boxes.

the writers added this characteristic to her sort of out of the blue to fit into this particular plot.during the earlier storylines she doesn't act this way.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2007, 05:29:19 PM »
(The Mexican War was about 1840 and was never mentioned in DS...)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2007, 06:13:54 PM »
the writers added this characteristic to her sort of out of the blue to fit into this particular plot.during the earlier storylines she doesn't act this way.

That's true. But at the same time people certainly develop new interests, so it's not like her exposure to the past through Barn's arrival couldn't have sparked a new interest for it in Vicki. And in Vicki's case this new interest in the past seems more natural than it might with other characters because, as the show makes a point of tying into the situation, Vicki has no knowledge of her own family and its past, so that longing for a past makes her more susceptible to latch onto the Collinses' past, especially when they're a family she's come to deeply care for.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2007, 08:14:26 PM »
well put mysterious.

it certainly was possible for vicki to develop a keen interest the collins family history.especially under the eager tutelage of someone she admired.

as far as her interest in the past being rather limited to the time that josette lived i guess that makes more sense than i thought because i had forgotten that vicki had a long history with josette.

because barnabas takes such total possession of josette upon his arrival it's easy to forget that she was already an established presence that vicki was intimately aquainted with through contacts made during the matthew morgan/laura collins storylines.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2007, 09:00:46 AM »
I think it was a mistake for Burke to "forbid" Barnabas from giving Vicki that book.  [signerror] It made him look like a control freak in Vicki's eyes.  [a_monkey] I don't blame her for getting angry with him.   [angrg]

It seems rather silly for Vicki to not feel like she could walk home in the rain.  It wouldn't hurt her to get a little wet. [toothy2] But of course, it was just an excuse for her to stay at the Old House with Barnabas, in Josette's room. [winkg]

----- Sally -----
[coolg]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2007, 09:27:40 AM »
It seems rather silly for Vicki to not feel like she could walk home in the rain.  It wouldn't hurt her to get a little wet. 
I imagined that rain as being of the type that has you drenched two steps after you step out into it, soaking your shoes so your feet go squush squush as you walk.  It is, I think a fifteen-minute walk between Collinwood and the Old House, with branches (wet) slapping you in the face every few feet.

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2007, 10:09:02 AM »
It seems rather silly for Vicki to not feel like she could walk home in the rain.  It wouldn't hurt her to get a little wet. 
I imagined that rain as being of the type that has you drenched two steps after you step out into it, soaking your shoes so your feet go squush squush as you walk.  It is, I think a fifteen-minute walk between Collinwood and the Old House, with branches (wet) slapping you in the face every few feet.

Those are good points, Lydia.  In that case, I guess I would want to stay put too, if I were in Vicki's place.  I hate getting stuck in that kind of rain!   [sad3]

----- Sally
[coolg]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]