Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0836  (Read 1581 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0836
« on: November 18, 2014, 05:02:26 PM »
Robservations #836

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0836

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 08:07:54 PM »
Ghost Beth can now speak, and is very chatty, compliantly reeling off paragraphs of exposition to Julia.  This is simultaneously a flash-forward and flashback, this return to 1969.  We are seeing the plan for timeline #2; the one Barnabas created by accident. 

Ang tells Beth that Quentin's engaged to her... Beth flees in shock, then Ang says to herself that Beth will get over Q's rejection, since "everyone does".  Haw haw.  Beth went for the generic poison, instead of wasting her money on a name brand.  The scene where Jamison gets it out of Beth that she plans to kill herself was nicely done.  It's the first sign of closeness between them that we've seen, I think.  Jamison handles it all very well. 

David is (gasp) dead... End.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 08:37:52 PM »
Kudos to both young David Henesy and Terry Crawford for their scene together and to TC for her scenes with Angelique and Quentin!

When Beth first appeared to David and Amy and to Barnabas and Chris, she wore an elaborate, light-colored lacy gown, but now Julia sees her in the ordinary workaday gown she wears in 1897. Strangely, she tells Julia, "My name would mean nothing to you." But Julia knows she's Beth, though she might not know her full name.

It is curious that Beth can reveal everything about the original 1897 story. Either Quentin the ghost doesn't know or just doesn't care, now that he's virtually sure of getting David. Anyway, the scenes are very compelling. And it must have been a relief to Beth the ghost to tell someone.

Yes, MT, I laughed at Angelique's comment. Angelique watches poor Beth run upstairs and comments to herself, You will get over it in time, my dear. Everyone does. [Well, almost everyone.]

Maybe now that Rachel is long dead, Beth is taking care of David in her spare time. His find-the-objects puzzle looks like a genuine one from the time. I think you can get reprints at the Museum of the City of New York now.

In a wonderful scene, beautifully written and played, Jamison stops Beth from taking the poison, then shows himself to be far more of a man than his uncle: You’ve always been good and kind to me, he tells Beth sweetly. Oh, Jamison! she sobs again. He tells her, I won’t leave you alone unless you promise not to do anything to hurt yourself. Will you? She turns to look at him and promises. Jamison is satisfied. I have something to do now, he tells her, but I’ll come back and talk to you later. He takes the poison when he leaves. Yes, later, Beth murmurs--as she takes a pistol from the top dresser drawer. She pauses, then hastily puts the gun back in the drawer and sits down on the bed again.

Jamison goes downstairs and reads the riot act to Quentin. Quentin has the grace to be shocked and saddened. BUT DOES THIS MEAN THAT ANGELIQUE WAS ALWAYS GOING TO BE IN 1897, WHETHER OR NOT BARNABAS WAS??? OR, IN THE ORIGINAL STORY LINE, DID QUENTIN DO SOMETHING ELSE TO MAKE JAMISON REJECT HIM???

Quentin's look of disbelieving surpring when he realizes that Beth has actually shot him is perfect. So is Beth's proud dignity when she leaves her room, then her deranged laughter as she shoots Quentin repeatedly (pretty strong stuff for a daytime soap).

After Beth finishes her story, Julia returns downstairs and finds David, forced there by the malevolent Quentin. Quentin finally speaks, gloating to Julia that David is his--but he vanishes when Professor Stokes walks in. Quentin doesn't really need to stick around, now that David is-- dead.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 11:49:35 PM »
Seemed peculiar that when Julia was getting David away from Q, or so she thought, she then laid him down on the couch instead of hurrying out the door with him, as if being just a few feet away from Quentin meant things were fine.  But then the popular catchphrase "Get out of the house NOW!!" didn't exist yet...

Maybe Beth married Quentin in timeline #1, and started dressing more expensively...  You can even comment on the authenticity of 1897 puzzles, DL... cool.  Maybe in timeline #1, Q rushed headlong into his new Amanda thing, and jealousy over that sparked exactly the same response from Beth.  Again, I think the new story from Ghost Beth is timeline #2 out of 3. The only reason Q called for Angelique and enabled her entry into 1897 was to have the help of someone who could specifically deal with his enemy of the time, Barnabas Collins. 

As for Beth and the shooting, I like that they're showing a nice, decent person being pushed over an extreme line into a wildly violent act like that, because I don't think anyone's totally immune.  We don't know what our limits are till we reach them.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 12:13:05 AM »
[spoiler]In the present time post 1897, is it possible the Leviathan's made the Collins family remember Quentin's ghost as a way to stop him from interfering with their plan?[/spoiler]

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 02:00:14 AM »
Was Angelique surprised that Barn was out of the coffin in 1897 or did she already know when she materialized to Quentin?

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2014, 04:43:16 PM »
Aw, shucks, MT.  [hall2_embarrassed] The Museum of the City of New York has a whole exhibit of kids' toys and games.

The idea of Quentin marrying Amanda instead of Angelique sounds pretty plausible, although I'm having trouble imagining Amanda being as mean and nasty as Angelique.

Although-- Maybe Laura was always going to return to get Jamison and Nora, whether or not Barnabas was there. So maybe Quentin was always going to summon-- well, someone to help him deal with her. So maybe Angelique was actually going to be in 1897 all the time.

But without Barnabas, we wouldn't have gotten crazy vampire Dirk or Judith shooting Rachel--who might actually have survived, somehow.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 11:34:45 AM »
I'm stuck in the sticks, DL, I envy you your cultural access.  Regarding Angelique's presence... I think that Hell must be so full of (helpful??) demons that a summons issued for one would only result in Ang if Barnabas was involved.  I don't suppose Barnabas's name came up in the spell or plea to the Devil; can't remember.  I think it didn't need to.  The Devil would know.  I think "Barnabas Collins" went into Hell's search engine, and "Angelique" popped up as the ideal go-to embittered supernatural jiltee to deal with Barnabas.  I imagine the Devil with a primitive computer, making a lot of noise as it processes the request, finally spitting out an old computer punch card with the answer "Angelique" on it in incomprehensible computer code and little rectangular punched holes.... Diabolos catches the card in mid-air as it's spat out.  I don't know why, I just like the image.

Dom... In that scene in which Evan and Quentin called upon the Devil for help, and Angelique appeared from the fireplace, Ang did need to be informed that Barnabas was involved, but she seemed to be expecting it.  She may have been slightly surprised, but not much.  I'm not saying she chose to come to 1897 because she already knew Barnabas was there, and was following him.  I don't think that at all.  I don't think any of this was her choice.  I think the Devil sent her, as the one individual with experience with Barnabas, and that it was up to her to get up to speed upon arrival, finding out from the "client" why she was there.  There had been no time for anything to have been explained to her pre-journey.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 03:49:35 PM »
"Hell's search engine" I'm dying laughing here! I also remember those punch cards.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 04:02:26 PM »
But MT, are you saying that Diabolos sent Angelique because she's Hell's own Collins Universe expert? So it would have been Angelique all along? Regardless of whether Barn was there or not?

Although I'm sure the fact that he was there made things much more interesting for her.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2014, 04:19:53 PM »
No DL, what I think is that it's famous "down under" that Angelique's that gal who's got it Bad for Barnabas, in particular.  Diabolos or his boss The Devil ("Good morning, The Devil."  "Did you have a nice weekend, The Devil?"  "When do I get to work someplace besides the reception desk, The Devil?!"), if they aren't the same individual, it was never clear... anyway Devil/Diabolos probably has little memory of the Collinses, but you don't forget Angelique, not with her screwups and pleas to be reinstated.  I think he'd also remember Barnabas, but maybe just as Ang's obsession.  An Angelique dropped into a house of Collinses without Barnabas might not seem worth the effort.  Does Ang really care about other Collinses?  She wouldn't be properly evilly motivated...

Thanks for letting me know you laughed at the last one, DL!  I also like the image of Diabolos, with the slight lisp, showing off his "advanced" computer to visitors, then having to kick it to make it go... I'd have him make the computer appear magically in a huge puff of smoke in Hell's Reception Area, with evil chortling, then he has to stand there tapping his foot while it struggles to work something out...  Just the idea of magically conjuring up a computer instead of just magically divining the needed information strikes me as funny.

I don't get to write sketches for a living, so...

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2014, 04:25:43 PM »
That's too bad, MT. But now I have a mental image of Diabolos/The Devil glaring at a smoking TRS-80. And no wonder.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2014, 05:16:40 PM »
You gave me some more history to Google, DL... I was thinking of one of those things with no keyboard, that took up the whole room!  I've become carried away with my little nonexistant sketch, better reign it in...

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2014, 05:42:47 PM »
No no no! I love the idea of one of those room-size computers!

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2014, 07:36:53 PM »
Thanks for your reply, Magnus.