Author Topic: Semi Off Topic: Gloria Stavers  (Read 407 times)

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Semi Off Topic: Gloria Stavers
« on: August 17, 2021, 04:05:19 PM »
A while back, I ran across a Facebook tribute site to Gloria Stavers, who pretty much invented the pop phenomenon known as 16 Magazine. The site was running a contest that involved sharing your memories of 16. Naturally, I wrote about DS. I was reasonably sure that I would win something, as apparently only one other person entered.
What I won was a copy of Who's Your Fave Rave, which tells the history of both Gloria Stavers and her magazine. Gloria had no real experience in journalism. But that was okay, as 16 never aspired to anything close to journalism. What 16 produced was largely a fantasy, meant to give its readers access to their faves, but not too much. Were the articles truthful? To an extent. But unless you saw something that was written in the celebrity's own handwriting, it was usually concocted by Gloria or her staff, with the celebrity's cooperation.
Gloria cultivated friendships with people like Annette Funicello. She sort of barged into Herman's Hermits hotel suite and told them what to do. She is rumored to have had affairs with Dion, Jim Morrison, Mickey Mantle and Lenny Bruce. Coverage in 16 was considered to be very helpful to those who Gloria liked. But those who did not cooperate could find themselves in trouble. When Paul Revere of the Raiders got to be uncooperative, Gloria threatened to reveal his real name. Which turned out to be Dick.
Which brings us to Dark Shadows. Prior to DS, the only afternoon program with a significant teen following was American Bandstand, which was a very different type of show. The show's popularity dictated that someone would emerge as a teen idol. But who? No one in the cast in 1967 really fit the usual 16 criteria. David Henesy was an authentic teenager but a bit too young. No one on the show ever picked up a guitar and serenaded the audience. By default, the idol status fell to Jonathan Frid, who, at over 40, was positively elderly in the context of 16.
In later years, Frid would sometimes say that 16 made it all up. But Steve DeNaut, the editor who covered Frid, said that Jonathan was "extremely cooperative, a willing participant in the frenzy; more flattered than anything else." It's certainly possible that both points of view were valid at different times.
Lightning struck twice when David Selby joined the show. Selby was new to television and to the amount of press coverage. He was also somewhat older than the usual 16 idol and was married. While 16 did acknowledge that David was married and later had a child, that was not dwelled upon.
Gloria was extremely supportive of David, assuring him that this was the first stop in a great career. She gained his trust and he went along with her. There's no better example than the time that she showed up at his apartment for a photo shoot, bringing along a white ruffled pirate shirt. It wasn't something that David himself would have worn but Gloria assured him that he'd look terrific in it. He did. The photos are iconic.
Sadly, Gloria passed away of cancer in 1983. But her legacy does indeed live on.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Semi Off Topic: Gloria Stavers
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2021, 04:36:05 PM »
What great info and congrats on winning the contest. Thanks so much for sharing.  [easter_smiley]

And it was always obvious that Gloria Stavers loved to promote DS, though I'm sure it wasn't just altruistically because I'm sure it sold A LOT of magazines. And it was always obvious that the show and the actors participated because 16 shared all sorts of inside info and exclusive photos, most often taken by the magazine's own photographers...

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2021, 06:44:04 PM »
Very interesting, unc. Nice trip down memory lane.

I get the biggest kick out of going thru the 16 Magazines I have when I run across them, which is usually during a cleaning/weeding out event. I still get the same thrill as I did all those years ago.

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2021, 08:14:10 PM »
There's another somewhat DS related anecdote in the book. It's from around 1973 and is probably around the time that Gloria had decreased her involvement with the day to day operations of 16. It involves two of the magazine's mainstays of the early 1970's, Donny Osmond and Alice Cooper.
The fabricated piece was a two page spread, with parallel headlines. Donny's claimed that he wanted to be like Alice. And Alice's said that he wanted to be like Donny. In those pre Photoshop days, the magazine managed to produce a fairly accurate face swap of the two. While Alice as Donny is relatively benign, the shot of Donny as Alice with the wild hair is quite memorable. Not to mention the snake!
Somewhat predictably, Cooper loved it. No record of a comment from Donny but Mother Osmond was extremely unhappy with it and brought it to the attention of the Osmond attorneys. No record if the matter ever went to court. If it had, the mutual use of 16 and assorted Osmonds might have come to an end.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2021, 11:39:29 PM »
What great info and congrats on winning the contest. Thanks so much for sharing.  [easter_smiley]

And it was always obvious that Gloria Stavers loved to promote DS, though I'm sure it wasn't just altruistically because I'm sure it sold A LOT of magazines. And it was always obvious that the show and the actors participated because 16 shared all sorts of inside info and exclusive photos, most often taken by the magazine's own photographers...

Quite a symbiotic relationship between the teen magazines and DS. DS helped broaden the magazine's readership, and the magazines helped promote DS. (Of course, that's the purpose of that segment of the "journalism" industry after all...)

Offline Robot_Quentin

• Senior Poster
  • Born during episode #566...... For Real!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2021, 10:54:41 PM »
Another great page from "Uncle Roger's Scrapbook". Feel free to use that title for your yet untitled memoir!  [ghost_grin]

Thanks for more tidbits from your great encyclopedic knowledge of 60's pop culture, and it's relation to DS.
Robot_Quentin: "I've never watched the last episode, so the show never ended for me."

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2021, 02:46:27 AM »
Thank you so much. I apparently absorbed a lot of stuff over the years and still (thankfully) have the memory skills to bring it back.
Gloria Stavers was indeed quite a character. She would have made a very interesting festival guest. She was an excellent photographer and a coffee table of her iconic photos of everyone from Elvis Presley to Alice Cooper and everyone in between would be a huge seller.

Are you listening, KLS??  [ghost_wink] [ghost_wink] [ghost_wink]
Fade Away and Radiate