Author Topic: Grayson movie on Sundance Channel  (Read 1198 times)

Offline Bette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • Quentin, you have no future.
    • View Profile
Grayson movie on Sundance Channel
« on: August 22, 2007, 03:47:01 AM »
According to next week's TV Guide, the Sundance Channel will be showing Grayson's French movie, which they list as "Where are you, Polly Maggoo?" It is listed for Sept. 1 from 8:00PM to 10:00 PM.

This is very interesting, because I'm not aware that this movie has ever been shown on American television. I'm sure J99 and Gothick will correct me if I'm wrong. :-*

Bette
Life works if you let it

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: Grayson movie on Sundance Channel
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 05:09:53 PM »
Wow, Bette, this is very exciting news!  Particularly since a decent quality copy of the movie with English subtitles has been unavailable (there is a very lowgrade VHS bootleg with English subtitles that has circulated for the past five years or so, and more recently, a boot of a decent quality Japanese DVD that has optional Japanese subtitles but no English).

There were plans to create a dubbed version with an English soundtrack for the US release, and Grayson is on record as having looped dialogue for that, but legal problems stalled the release and it never happened.

I look forward to a review!  Maybe one of my buddies with cable will make me a copy, too!

For those who haven't seen it, try to imagine Grayson Hall in stratospheric chic French fashions with her hair pulled severely back and these little top-knot braids attached to the top of her head bugging out her eyes and imitating the Road Runner:  "beep-beep!"  I swear to God Herself you've never seen anything like it.

cheers, Gothick

David

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 06:19:56 PM »
 ;D

I'm SO GLAD I get Sundance!

David

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 12:25:27 AM »
that is interesting!  A good quality DVD is available with english subtitles--I got it a nice double set with another Klein flick.  There's a link on graysonhall.net

Julia99

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007, 08:15:23 AM »
I decided to look up the Sundance Channel and found a couple of other times for this (by the way, they list is as "WHO are you Polly Magoo" - which from what I remember of the French title previously discussed, would be the correct one):

Saturday September 1 at 8PM
Monday September 3 at 3:30AM
Wednesday September 12 at 4PM

This will be good for me.  To tape something from channels like this I have to switch the cables and can't watch another station at the same time.  Monday at 3:30 a.m. would be much better than Saturday evening!!
Josette

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2007, 03:10:20 PM »
Thanks, Josette.  Now that their September schedule is posted, they also list this:

1966    97 mins    B&W    Subtitles    Letterbox
William Klein, Director

Influential expatriate American photographer William Klein worked for Vogue magazine from 1955 to 1965. When he made his debut feature film in 1966, he served up a caustic satire of worlds he knew intimately: high fashion and the media. Dorothy McGowan plays the titular Polly Maggoo, the latest supermodel of the Twiggy era, who is the subject of a TV documentary by a French journalist (Jean Rochefort). Cult actress Grayson Hall (“Dark Shadows”) costars as an American publisher, a character rumored to be closely based on Diana Vreeland.

This is a wonderrful opportunity, if you have access to Sundance!

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2007, 09:17:46 PM »
Now that their September schedule is posted, they also list this:

1966    97 mins    B&W    Subtitles    Letterbox
William Klein, Director

Influential expatriate American photographer William Klein worked for Vogue magazine from 1955 to 1965. When he made his debut feature film in 1966, he served up a caustic satire of worlds he knew intimately: high fashion and the media. Dorothy McGowan plays the titular Polly Maggoo, the latest supermodel of the Twiggy era, who is the subject of a TV documentary by a French journalist (Jean Rochefort). Cult actress Grayson Hall (“Dark Shadows”) costars as an American publisher, a character rumored to be closely based on Diana Vreeland.

As noted in GH:  A Hard Act to Follow (and other publications), Klein confirmed to me that Miss Maxwell was modeled on his former boss, Diana Vreeland, legendary editor of Vogue (waaay before Prada  Devil Anna Wintour).  He also asked Ruth Gordon to consider the roll but she refused to fly.  Grayson auditioned for Klein, got the part and spent a  month or so in the french countryside with her family  in a house arranged by Klein.  Grayson studied French all her life but did not consider herself fluent.   The translation lacks a bit as in her 2nd monologue you will hear names that don't show up on the subtitles. . .

Another trivia tidbit. . . the man who portrays the Prince in the film also portrayed Paul Nuytten, Theresa Russell's last husband  in the film Black Widow
Julia99