Author Topic: Prop Project: Coffins, Consolidated  (Read 2711 times)

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Prop Project: Coffins, Consolidated
« on: April 24, 2010, 12:36:37 PM »
I've been thinking about starting a prop project topic on any and all coffins for quite some time, and I got the final push from Lori's question in the Watching Project topic for episode 970:

I wonder how many coffins they kept in the prop room.  How many different sizes did they have.  I still think that they were kept in the basement of Collinwood in the locked room.  [ghost_shocked]

There are several different coffins.  I was thinking of naming or numbering them, but sometimes it's difficult to tell them apart.

Of course, Barnabas’s original coffin, a.k.a. the Hershey Bar coffin, is always easy to distinguish.  Here's a view of it in episode 676:

Things get murkier from there.  I've seen some metal coffins here and there, but looking around, I have found only one capture of a metal coffin, so I don't know if all the metal coffins are the same.  Here's Elizabeth's coffin, from episode 672:

And now we get into the really tough part: wooden coffins with all the proper angles.  Consider the following three coffins.

First, there's a nicely carved wooden coffin, used by Tom in his vampire days.  Here's a capture from episode 570:

Next we have Tom's post-staking coffin, shown here in episode 630:

And finally we have Dirk's coffin, shown here in episode 773.

I have consulted with a co-worker on these three wooden coffins.  (You may, if you wish, imagine us giggling as we pointed at various angles and lines instead of working, and of course I had to tell him the whole story of why Julia was sticking her head into the metal coffin.)  My co-worker is quite sure that they are all different coffins.  He helpfully pointed out that the lines of the Tom's pre-staking coffin are slightly curved, unlike the lines of the other two, and that the quality of Tom's post-staking coffin is clearly inferior to that of the other two.  (He said, "It looks as though it's made from an old door.")  He also pointed out that the shoulder angles on Dirk's coffin have a bit of a jog - no doubt in order to accommodate Dirk's manly physique.

So, those are three different coffins.  Within the Dark Shadows universe, this raises the question of why Nicholas switched coffins on Tom.  Outside of the Dark Shadows universe, I can't help wondering if the reason there were three such similar coffins is that they were not bought but rented, and that each ended up being used by an authentic dead person.

Now for the two usual questions.

First are the coffins real?  If they are not, then Dark Shadows just got that much weirder.

Second, are there Dark Shadows coffin collectibles?  If not, then I think there ought to be.  I'm imagining keychains with miniature coffins hanging from them.  And charm bracelets with the complete set of Dark Shadows coffins.  And bobblehead coffins.  And here's a question raised by my co-worker: Are there Dark Shadows fans who have requested a copy of the Hershey Bar coffin for their own burial?

I really got my co-worker going.  He has now informed me that there is a market for used coffins.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
Re: Prop Project: Coffins, Consolidated
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 02:18:18 PM »
With the metal coffins could it depend on lighting?
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 05:27:52 PM »
What an honor for some anonymous dead person, to be buried in a Barnabas!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 05:38:25 PM »
lydia your devotion to the prop project and attention to detail are quite admirable.

let's not forget the coffin willie was making for maggie in 1967 that was supposed to make her "weep with joy" at the sight of. then there was the one that had vicki's name on it when barnabas decided she was fresh josette material.

and there was angelique's in the blair basement during her stint as the undead.

didn't megan todd have one that inexplicably ended up in collinwood's closed off east and/or west wing during the leviathan storyline?

and during the 1995 arc barnabas' was still conveniently located at the old house as if no one would ever stumble across it over decades of disuse.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 05:42:26 PM »
oh and by all accounts the studio where the series was filmed was tiny given it's expansive premise.

so my guess would be that with the exception of barnabas' "permanent" coffin there was no room to store the myriad others and were rented on an "as needed" basis.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 06:22:53 PM »
I think Megan's was just an unvarnished pine box.   Still, not bad for last-minute shopping.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 10:36:30 PM »
The ultimate DS coffin collectible might be the one that was displayed at the Haunted Mansion in Kissimmee, FL during the late 1990s,which the owner claimed was THE coffin that belonged to Barnabas on the series.  There was a photo of it circulating, and I recall that it did resemble a coffin seen on DS, but definitely not Barnabas'-- at least not from the soap.  I've never heard what happened to it when his horror house/museum closed, though another of its attractions, Quentin's portrait (the original for sure!), made its way to ebay.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 10:48:40 PM »
I have a photo of the coffin that was displayed at the museum. If I recall correctly, I think it was actually one of the ones used in hoDS. And if I can locate the photo, I'll post it...

There are also some photos of other coffins available on the forum - but I'm going to wait to see if others mention/post them before I do so myself.  :)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 12:17:30 AM »
Cool, MB!  I hope you can find it.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 01:18:22 AM »
I have always wondered what the METAL COFFIN Jonathan is coming out of in a picture comes from.  I can't seem to find a picture but does anyone know what I am talking about. He never used on the show. Perhaps it was a HODS promo?
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2010, 01:53:17 AM »
Don't forget the boxes in the Mausoleum.

Offline petofi

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • " Collinwood '68 - Fashions courtesy of Ohrbach's"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2010, 10:35:12 AM »
I know that Tom Jennings fancier coffin was a rental, as I have seen photos of it being delivered to the studio!  May Sutherland's "Wyndcliffe Watch" fanzine had the photos back in the 90s.  They were provided by a former "studio kid," I believe.

Petofi

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2010, 11:50:43 PM »
WW was a great zine with lots of rare pics.  I love this project and still wonder about the metal coffin B is exiting...
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2010, 04:44:41 PM »
There is also Angeliques coffin in Paralell time. I don't think that one has been pictured yet.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2010, 10:20:08 PM »
I can only seem to find one of the inside from the pics I have taken. It's modern of course and looks like the one I have talked about that B  coming out of.  I am gonna search some more for that pic as well!