Author Topic: Dark Shadows mentioned in October 9, 2007 issue of ABC Soaps in Depth  (Read 2855 times)

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
Re: Dark Shadows mentioned in October 9, 2007 issue of ABC Soaps in Depth
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2007, 05:12:16 PM »
Uh, no.  While it's absolutely hysterical to picture him that way most likely Barnabas wouldn't have been caught dead (no pun intended) in a leisure suit. I mean, the man rarely even took off his tie when he wore a smoking jacket.
Sorry, but to say that Barnabas would never 'change with the times' is a bit ludicrous.   [hall2_rolleyes]
Quite a few men escaped the 1970s without ever donning a leisure suit, particularly those whose tastes in clothing were on the conservative side, which I think is what MB was getting at here. I don't think he said Barnabas' clothing would never change with the times. Even conservative styles of dress change slightly with time. I haven't seen enough of AN's DS wardrobe to comment, but Ben Cross, while he did sport a slightly more casual look than Frid, was still pretty conservative. Most of what he wore on the show could still be worn today without generating much attention.

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2007, 05:13:00 PM »
That reminds me of a very funny scene  back in the late 1980s when JF and I were visiting Union Square's farmer's market to pick up some fresh produce for a party.  These two guys, around our age, were nearby and started staring at JF.  I think for a moment they were not sure it was JF because he was dressed very informally in jeans, a polo shirt and white sneakers.   Finally one of the guys said, "Geez, it's Barnabas in sneakers!"  JF smiled but didn't look them but I cracked up.  [hall2_grin]

Nancy

well, can you just see him in a 100% polyester LEISURE suit!?  Mike Brady eat your heart out!   [hall2_cool]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2007, 05:45:44 PM »
Quite a few men escaped the 1970s without ever donning a leisure suit, particularly those whose tastes in clothing were on the conservative side, which I think is what MB was getting at here.

That was exactly my point. And being an affluent Collins - especially an 18th century affluent Collins - Barnabas would have been ingrained from a very early age on the proper ways for a gentleman to dress and present himself. It would have been very hard for him to leave those deep-seated habits behind. (Thus the need for that 100 kiloton explosion and/or complete personality transplant.  [lghy])

I haven't seen enough of AN's DS wardrobe to comment, but Ben Cross, while he did sport a slightly more casual look than Frid, was still pretty conservative.

Newman's Barn was dressed on a par with Cross' Barn's more casual attire. Though it was far from what most people would consider casual by today's standards. It's not like he went around in t-shirts and jeans.  [hall2_cheesy]  He didn't most always wear suits like Frid's Barn - but he did wear dress shirts and slacks.