Author Topic: WB ORDERS FILMING OF NEW DS PILOT  (Read 174254 times)

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
WB ORDERS FILMING OF NEW DS PILOT
« on: January 28, 2004, 04:49:44 PM »
The www.darkshadowsfestival.com has reported today that WB has finally ordered a new pilot to be filmed.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re:WB ORDERS FILMING OF NEW DS PILOT
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2004, 04:53:49 PM »
I'd say that is promising news! Thanks for the report, Jimbo.

dom

PS - I wonder how long it'll be before we hear about cast members? How exciting!

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2004, 05:26:07 PM »
You are welcome. It is great news!

I just have this feeling that  the producers, in anticipation of the pilot approval, have already selected the actors they want. I mean I am sure they were not just sitting around playing checkers waiting for the greenlight. But who knows. Pure speculation. In any event it is up to us to get the scoop. Let the game begin.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2004, 07:02:24 PM »
You know, since we heard and started speculating about this possible new version of DS, I've been catching shows on the WB and other stations and "making believe" that I am watching the new DS just to see if I can shatter my own prejudices (sp?) about a new DS as compared to the original and being able (myself) to accept the new DS for what it is. Interestingly enough, I have seen some shows (minutes only, I admit) that actually could have been the new DS, meaning that they involved darkness, big houses, spooky scenarios, and Dark Shadowseque type characters. Most interestingly for me was trying to accept younger (teenage) actors in the imaginary roles. So far I've found that I can accept the premise of a new DS if the mood of the show is right. I am finding it a bit harder to accept teenagers in the roles, but mostly when they are taking the place of established characters (fantasy wise, in my own head). I find it much easier to accept teens if I make believe that they are totally new characters. I have decided that however (and if) it's presented, I am going to watch the new DS no matter what, but I do hope (now that I've tested myself) that somehow they will present the show with a new cast of characters, save Barnabas, perhaps with guest appearences by original cast members reprising their original roles. I doubt that will happen because, let's face it, they'll probably want to do the release of Barnabas as opposed to having Barn already there, picking it up in present day. It just wouldn't be interesting enough to pull in viewers without the intro of Barn as vamp attacking everyone in sight and us waiting to see how he gets himself out of seemingly impossible situations relating to his being caught. I'd love to see a new Barn with John Karlen as an older (if not, wiser) Willie Loomis. It would make sense that Barn wouldn't age while Willie has, along with Maggie, Carolyn, and other original cast members who's mortality would make them aged in 2004.

Anyway...here's to coming one step closer to a new DS, hooray!!

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2004, 07:40:04 PM »
I'm personally quite excited by the prospect.  After all, John Wells has worked with blood before so it could make for an exciting show even with an majority younger cast.

Let's remember that many of our favorite actors were in their 20s (or younger) when the original DS was on.  Alexandra Moltke, KLS, Joel Crothers, David Selby, Nancy Barrett was all of 18, and our favorite devil child, David Hensey.  Surely, no one has forgotten his tour de force as the evil possessed Count Petofi in the 1897 storyline.  He was one of the scariest!

Therefore, I'm having an open mind about the younger actors.  Let's see what they do first.

Offline DarkShadowyFigure

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2004, 10:39:18 PM »
Sounds like good news to me. I'm anxious to see what they do with a new version of DS and to get a glimpse of the new blood they'll be bringing in to portray the characters. Though I don't care much for redoing the same storylines as they did before, I'm starved for something good to watch on tv.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2004, 11:38:50 PM »
dom...I myself have been thinking of it too.

One thing, and this ties into 'cameo' appearances by orig. DS alumnus'...on One Life to Live, (and I don't watch other soaps, so I don't know if it happens), a few characters who have left the show will pop up.

For instance, Clint. He just pops up, and it's like seeing a good friend.

Today,......[size=10]CORD!!!! :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* [/size]

oooohhhh baby......Cord.... :-* :-* :-*

But, OLTL incorporates 'old alumnus' and it's great.

Also, there are times that we don't care for a certain story line (and this could happen with the hopefully future one). But, if we never knew if say TLATKLS would be popping in, wouldn't we allllwayyys watch, just in case (or Lara Parker, etc).

What a Woman!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2004, 12:33:36 AM »
Let the game begin.

This is wonderful news. Can't wait to see how things progress from here.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2004, 01:34:37 AM »
Sounds like good news to me. I'm anxious to see what they do with a new version of DS and to get a glimpse of the new blood they'll be bringing in to portray the characters. Though I don't care much for redoing the same storylines as they did before, I'm starved for something good to watch on tv.

Yes you hit it right on the head. We are all starved to watch something good on TV. I just wonder what night of the week should Dark Shadows air?

p.s. No matter how fluential John wells is, the WB must have really liked the script to order what will probably be an expensive pilot filming. So cheers to the writer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Misty

• Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2004, 02:36:56 AM »
 :D I'm sure you all know that you can keep up with all the news on the new, proposed  DS at http://barnabasundead.com but just in case, I mention it here.
      HOORAY!! I'm ecstatic that filming will begin. It should indeed be interesting to see who will be cast in the top roles. I just hope the show isn't saturated with the usual soap fare. So many of the original roles were mature adults. (Liz, Roger, Barnabas, Prof. Stokes, Mrs. Johnson, Julia, and even Angelique). I can't, in my wildest dreams, imagine a 20-year old Barnabas.
                                                                             Misty
" Small things amuse small minds"--------at least my students have been led to believe!

Offline Stuart

• Full Poster
  • Can you smell chips?
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Journal Online
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2004, 03:34:39 AM »
Fantastic news, isn't it?  I'm just looking forward to seeing something new - with good talent behind it and decent resources, the sky really is the limit :)
http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com | The Dark Shadows News Page
http://www.collinwood.net | Visit the Dark Shadows Journal Online

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2004, 03:47:45 AM »
Am I the only person here who would prefer not to hear another word about the production?  :-X

For me, the show only has a chance if I come to it with absolutely no pre-conceived ideas, no preferences, no ideal cast, and no expectations.

"Perfect" would have been coming upon it by accident just as the pilot was about to begin.  Otherwise, I can't imagine how ANY new attempt at this show is going to bear up under the staggering weight of all our expectations and hopes .

Methinks it's going to be a long summer.  ::)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Misty

• Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2004, 04:50:08 PM »
 :-  I know where you're coming from, Rainypark. I've been preparing myself to be disappointed. But Misty, ever the optimist, will take anything dealing with DS into consideration at least once. I wasn't thrilled with the '91 series at all, so although I'm happy that there is interest, I'm wary all the same.
" Small things amuse small minds"--------at least my students have been led to believe!

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2004, 05:09:01 PM »
I never saw any part of the 91 series at all.....so I have nothing to ignore regarding THAT attempt.

I would just prefer not to have to 'forget' 8 months of speculation, hypothosis, rumor and gossip when I sit down to watch the thing!!

On the other hand.....I have no intention of logging off this forum for the next 8 months either..... :D
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2004, 06:08:09 PM »
meh...for some reason I'm not even remotely interested in any new DS productions. I watched a little of the other DS with Goeing as Maggie and I forgot who was Barnabas and couldn't have cared less, turned TV off after 10 minutes.
I believe the DS I know and love was unique in that the time period, actors, writers and producers all helped to put together this very interesting gothic play-like TV show that will never be replicated. JF WAS Barnabas (but I could see a movie with Johnny Depp as Barnie also) Johnny Depp I'd allow...
I know this is a negative viewpoint but it is how I feel. Having made my statement though I'm sure the new production will bring some good entertaining for many people and will at least keep the "franchise" going.