Author Topic: New DS Book! The Physics of Dark Shadows  (Read 8957 times)

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
New DS Book! The Physics of Dark Shadows
« on: May 06, 2008, 09:33:00 PM »
New Dark Shadows Book Released!

The Physics of Dark Shadows: Time Travel, ESP, and the Laboratory

The release of a new and exciting Dark Shadows book has been announced. The Physics of Dark Shadows: Time Travel, ESP, and the Laboratory will be released on May 29th, 2008 and can be ordered today. The Physics of Dark Shadows: Time Travel, ESP, and the Laboratory is authored by Frank Borzellieri, a professor of journalism at St. John's University in New York City and a devoted Dark Shadows fan who has written many news articles over the years about Dark Shadows.

The Foreword to The Physics of Dark Shadows has been written by Kathryn Leigh Scott and the Preface by Amanda Trujillo. Frank Borzellieri will be speaking at the Dark Shadows Festival on Sunday July 20th on the topic of the scientific reality of time travel.

In The Physics of Dark Shadows, Frank Borzellieri reveals for the first time that so many of the bizarre, supposedly supernatural occurrences on Dark Shadows actually have their bases in scientific reality.

The author points out in fascinating detail how time travel in no way defies the laws of physics and is irrefutably proven through Einstein's theories. In fact, not only can time travel actually happen, it already has happened!

All of these concepts, including traveling to the past and future, as well as parallel time, have a scientific foundation and are studied vigorously in the world's leading institutions and scientific journals.

While the time traveling methods of Professor Stokes, Barnabas Collins, and Julia Hoffman may differ from Einstein's wormholes and light speed, the basic notions are very real.

Moreover, the extrasensory perception attributed and utilized by Angelique and other Dark Shadows characters also has a long and distinguished history of respectable scientific study.

Mixing the theories of Einstein, Stephen Hawking, and the world's leading physicists with countless examples from the storylines of Dark Shadows, Frank Borzellieri writes in a manner both scholarly yet enjoyable for the average Dark Shadows fan.

This exciting book will reveal the scientific reality of:

* Time travel to the past and future
* Wormholes and Quentin's staircase
* Precognition
* Clairvoyance
* Telepathy
* Seances
* Possession
* Hauntings

The Physics of Dark Shadows can be ordered at this time directly from the publisher at http://www.culturalstudiespress.com/physics_of_dark_shadows. The book is $9.95 plus $3 shipping. Credit cards and paypal accepted. To order by mail, send the total of $12.95 to Cultural Studies Press, Box 780142, Flushing, New York 11378. Order now and receive a personally autographed copy from the author.

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: New DS Book! The Physics of Dark Shadows
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 09:39:36 PM »
This book was authored by a friend of mine from the Fests!  In it, Frank goes beyond the confines of the series to explore the actual scientific theories that can account for so many of the mysterious, seemingly paranormal occurrences on our favorite show.  For example, he shows how Quentin's staircase could actually transport people through time, why the existence of parallel bands of time can explain so many apparent story paradoxes, and what laboratory evidence suggests that ESP and ghosts actually exist.  Moreover, Frank uses examples and characters from DS to demonstrate aspects of relativity theory.

As a fan of the series and a person who has always had a curiosity about time travel and unexplained phenomena, I found the book to be very informative.  Although I've tried to read physics books in the past, I've often struggled to understand much beyond the introductory chapters; however, the information about relativity theory, wormholes, etc., in this book is presented in a clear, straightforward, and enlightening manner.  Moreover, the details of the experiments substantiating such theories were very eye-opening.

However, I have another reason for being excited about this book: at Frank's invitation, I wrote the Preface for it!   [ghost_grin]  I'm so glad to be able to contribute to a new DS book, especially a book like this that is sure to inform and awaken the reader's intellectual curiosity.  I hope that you will enjoy reading it.

ProfStokes

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 01:04:01 AM »
Thanks for the heads up! I'll definitely be getting a copy of this. My parents and I were laughing at the Big Bang Theory last week and the Time Machine episode, I was all too reminded of out Time travel discussions here. This is kind of timely.

Congrats on getting to write the preface!

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 01:52:30 AM »
Wow, this sounds like too much fun!!  I'm a scientist in real life (though a biologist and not a physicist... hopefully not TOO much of a mad scientist  [ghost_wink] ) and really go for this kind of stuff!  Thanks for the info Prof Stokes, and I look forward to your preface!

Cathy

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 03:58:15 AM »
Another copy sold, I can hardly wait to get this -
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline barnabasjr

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 04:29:28 AM »
I'm in! Thanks, ProfStokes, sounds like a fun and fascinating book. Congratulations!
Your 3rd cousin in Virginia

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 06:12:16 AM »
I think we're teetering on the edge of Trekism here  [ghost_undecided]
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 06:28:14 AM »
I think we're teetering on the edge of Trekism here  [ghost_undecided]

Let us teeter and fall off the edge into Treksylvania.... we be compadres in TV show fandom, no?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 06:36:10 AM »
Let us teeter and fall off the edge into Treksylvania.... we be compadres in TV show fandom, no?

positivamente, amigo mio !

Offline Doug

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 07:45:19 AM »
I will check it out myself.

Offline sallycollins

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2008, 12:01:44 PM »
Hi ProfStokes!

Sounds like a very interesting book. I'll buy a copy. Congratulations to ProfStokes for writing the preface! Your description of the book makes it very enticing. I know nothing about physics but if it's explained for the sake of Dark Shadows fans then that's good enough for me. I'll go check the website. Thanks again for the information.

Sally
Sally Collins

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2008, 12:24:46 PM »
I have another reason for being excited about this book: at Frank's invitation, I wrote the Preface for it!   [ghost_grin]  I'm so glad to be able to contribute to a new DS book, especially a book like this that is sure to inform and awaken the reader's intellectual curiosity.  I hope that you will enjoy reading it.

Hi ProfStokes! Wow this book came out of nowhere and what a pleasant surprise. I ordered the book yesterday at the linked website via Paypal. Congratulations on being part of and contributing to the Dark Shadows legacy. I hope to see Frank and you at the Fest this year!
Jimbo

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2008, 07:03:32 PM »
Congratulations on writing the book's preface, ProfStokes!

A book on these topics seems overdue.  It should enhance our appreciation for the time-travel and paranormal aspects of DS.

I've been meaning to post some brief experts from an article I read concerning parallel universes, which I've managed to track down once again.  But I'll post that elsewhere for discussion.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2008, 07:10:19 PM »
Will it be for sell at the fest?
May you die before you want too.

Offline sallycollins

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2008, 08:39:42 PM »
I think in answer to borgosi's question, ProfStokes announcement said that the author is speaking at the festival, so books will probably be there for sale. Maybe ProfStokes can clarify. The announcement also said orders placed now will be signed by the author. I'm interested in this topic and look forward to the book and Vlad's postings too.

Sally
Sally Collins