Author Topic: A Veritable Who's Who  (Read 3361 times)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
A Veritable Who's Who
« on: November 04, 2003, 07:05:37 PM »
Just saw the last minute of "Ryan's Hope", then they rolled credits!!

Whoosh!!! Sy Tomasoff, McCue, so many others.

This was 1976; who was in charge of getting this crew 'back together'? Did one say let's hire so & so, etc?

Fun to see this.

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
Re:A Veritable Who's Who
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2003, 03:23:01 AM »
I watched 'The Changeling' (with George C. Scott) this weekend and found out that one of the writers (can't remember his name) also wrote for the Dark Shadows prime time series. The nice thing about DVDs are the extras you get. For instance, I had no idea that George C. Scott was married to his co-star in the movie, Trish Van Devere(sp?) I highly recommend the movie.  Besides good, believable acting, it also has some of the elements of Dark Shadows daytime which are done very well. Overall the movie is very scary without showing a lot of gore.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2003, 05:42:19 PM »
I highly recommend the movie.  Besides good, believable acting, it also has some of the elements of Dark Shadows daytime which are done very well. Overall the movie is very scary without showing a lot of gore.

I totally agree. I love The Changeling.  [thumb]

found out that one of the writers (can't remember his name) also wrote for the Dark Shadows prime time series.

Interesting - I didn't realize that.

I just looked The Changeling's credits up on the Internet Movie Database - the writer is William Gray. I loved his '91 series script that dealt with Vicki's trial and Josette's death.

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2003, 02:01:07 PM »
I totally agree. I love The Changeling.  [thumb]

Interesting - I didn't realize that.

Oops, I think I erased the part I'm quoting???
 ???
Thanks for the info on the writer Mr. Gray.   I just have to say that I really liked the part when the 'medium' goes up the stairs and opens the door and just looks up there and then quietly closes the door. I love the part where she's writing on the paper and I love the part where John plays back the tape and finally hears Joseph's voice. I think a movie that came out recently called 'The Ring' used some of the elements from 'The Changeling' in it.  The Ring was no where near as good though IMHO.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2003, 02:56:03 PM »
The Changeling was one of the eeriest, creepiest movies I have ever seen.  I first saw it when it came out theaterically while visiting a friend down in Charleston, SC.  The audience was spooked to no end.  If anyone wants to have fun having chills run up and down their spine, by all means rent it.  Oh, and just as an isn't-it-a-small-world aside, in conjunction with our fun thread about costumes and mixing Dark Shadows with The Flying Nun, the woman who played the mother superior on TFN is in The Changeling.  Not as a nun, though.

Gerard

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2003, 08:20:56 PM »
I love The Changeling. . always recommend it. . . Jean Marsh, George C, his wife Trish (who also stared with him in Day of the Dolphins), Melvyn Douglas--who is the nemesis but is he evil:  I do feel for him .. [spoiler]an orphan given a good life, did he know it was based on murder?  I dunno .  he knew he wasn't the real boy but did he know?  What do you all think. . .maybe i should look for the book. . . ahhhh![/spoiler]
Julia99

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
OT - Reset Form
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2003, 02:08:45 AM »
Oops, I think I erased the part I'm quoting???
 ???

If you haven't submitted the message yet, click Reset Form to make the entire quote(s) come back.  But if you've already typed your message at that point, be sure to copy your text first because it will disappear.

Offline danfling

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Ryan's Hope
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2003, 04:43:28 AM »
The show Ryan's Hope was created and owned (originally) by Claire Labine and Paul Avilla Mayer.    They previously had written for Where the Heart Is (which featured Clarice Blackburn) and, after that show had been cancelled, Love of Life.

ABC asked them to create a show for them.    The working title was called A Rage to Live, but it was changed to Ryan's Hope.

They used the same studio as Dark Shadows.    Lela Swift was the original director of the show, and Sy Tomashoff, Tom McCue, Ramsey Mosteller, and Terry Ross were some of the people who worked on the early Ryan's Hope that had also worked eariler on Dark Shadows.

George Lefferts, one of the original producer, left the show after several months.    Robert Costello became his replacement.

A few weeks ago, there were two epiosdes aired (just before the wedding of  Mary Ryan and Jack Fenelli) with featured Craig Slocum.

Ruth Livingston (the wife of Leslie Barrett) had appeared a few episodes earlier.

And now, Nancy Barrett has joined the cast as Dr. Faith Coleridge.

There was a scene in which the character of Nick Szabo (Michael Fairman) gave Delia Reid Ryan (Ilene Kristen) a music box.    The music box was the same one that had been used on Dark Shadows, and it even played Josette's Theme!

Also, ocassionally, there are props and parts of sets that can be recognized as having been on Dark Shadows earlier.

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
Re:Ryan's Hope
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2003, 12:11:59 AM »

A few weeks ago, there were two epiosdes aired (just before the wedding of  Mary Ryan and Jack Fenelli) with featured Craig Slocum.

And a big thank you for letting me know about it! I recorded one episode with Craig Slocum, did anyone else get both? I would like a copy of the one I didn't get if someone has it. I have all the eps with Nancy Barrett so far.
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2003, 09:03:00 AM »
Another DS actor that can now be seen on Ryan's Hope on Soapnet-- Kenneth McMillan.

Offline danfling

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2003, 04:23:50 PM »
On an episode of Ryan's Hope earlier this week (Monday, I think, but possibly on Tuesday), Dr. Boulac gave Jillian Coleridge a crystal ball.

I suspect that it is the same one that Burke Devlin gave to David Collins on Dark Shadows, although I have no way of telling for sure.

Offline Anubis

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2003, 06:55:01 AM »
I thought the same thing when I saw it.

Offline VictoriaWintersRox

• Full Poster
  • Vickified
    • View Profile
    • The Regal Beagle
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2003, 08:56:21 PM »
Henry Kaplan, who was a director on Dark Shadows from late 1968 to 1971, was also a director on Ryan's Hope. He joined the show's crew in the mid/late-80's.

Concerning the music box, I don't think it was the same one, although it did play Josette's Theme. Here's a screen capture of the music box, which I posted on a another topic a few months back.

I suspect that it is the same one that Burke Devlin gave to David Collins on Dark Shadows, although I have no way of telling for sure.

I'm a few weeks behind in my RH viewing, but I caught that scene when SOAPnet aired it and also thought of the crystal ball Burke Devlin gave David Collins.

Offline danfling

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2003, 12:32:00 PM »
Another Dark Shadows actor can currently be seen on SoapNet's reruns of Ryan's Hope:

Vince O'Brien is currently appearing as the judge in the custody hearing of Little John Ryan.   Mr. O'Brien appeared as Sheriff George Patterson #2 on Dark Shadows.    He later appeared in two roles on The Guiding Light.

I am not sure of the judge's last name, though.

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2003, 03:51:40 PM »
of course this must be on soapnet ? which we don't get here in Boston
i don't see why not! have to get on Comcast's back as we pay enough!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV