Author Topic: Humbert Allen Astredo  (Read 2947 times)

Offline Evan Hanley

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Humbert Allen Astredo
« on: March 19, 2006, 12:35:20 AM »
Does anyone agree with me that curtis should have used Humber alot more? Humbert was amazeing as Evan Hanley, Charles Dawson and of course the evil Nicholas Blair. :)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: Humbert Allen Astredo
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 01:48:25 AM »
Astredo was brilliant and his characters were delightfully diabolic.....but that idiotic hat made me want to throw things at the television every time it showed up.  I will NEVER understand why that hat was part of his costume...... :P
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006, 01:52:36 AM »
Did DC just neglect to use him more, or was HAA working elsewhere?   I'd have loved to have seen more of him but not more Blair or Blair surrogates.   I love Evan Hanley because he's such a huge ego with so little power... it's like a parody of Blair.   That's more interesting than evil, evil, and more evil.     HAA is always good and always welcome, but an evil guy in a goutee gets old fast.     In Doctor Who they did a great alternate take on that with the first Master (his nemesis).    The second Master was the straight-ahead gouteed villain, which is boring.   That's just Snidely Whiplash.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Willie

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2006, 02:31:04 AM »
I love Humbert, especially his Nicholas Blair character.  I was just suffering through the Adam storyline the other night, then decided to skip ahead about 30 episodes to Blair's appearance.  I guess they did quite a bit with his character, but I wouldn't have minded even more.  He's just got such great screen presence and he's so darned diabolic!

I can't remember the other characters he played, but that's just one more thing to look forward to when I eventually get the DVD's.

What would have been extremely cool was if they would have put him in the 1795 storyline.  He would have seemed right at home there, and added a whole new dimension to an already excellent story.

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2006, 03:23:16 AM »
Astredo was brilliant and his characters were delightfully diabolic.....but that idiotic hat made me want to throw things at the television every time it showed up.  I will NEVER understand why that hat was part of his costume...... :P

I personally love the hat!  It's so dapper but yet diabolical at the same time.  I miss gentlemen wearing them.  It comes in quite handy during a hail storm from hell. 

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2006, 03:48:46 AM »
     I liked the hat, too.  He wore the hat, the hat didn't wear him.  My husband's stepmother's father always wore a cowboy hat.  He looked like an idiot "all hat and no cattle" is the expression that came to mind.  My short grandfather wore a cowboy hat.  He was real tough little rooster.  He had a tough, ornery personality so he was never overshadowed by his hat.  Mr. Blair could,  by the strength of his personality, wear a hat and look quite dapper.  I hope Luciaphil chimes in about men in hats in the world of DS.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline Evan Hanley

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2006, 03:50:51 AM »
The hat was awsome!!! it made him so kool!!! and the gloves and that evil smile he always made when he was about to get his way. GOD HE IS SO KOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline petofi

• Full Poster
  • " Collinwood '68 - Fashions courtesy of Ohrbach's"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2006, 04:37:40 AM »
I personally love the hat!  It's so dapper but yet diabolical at the same time.  I miss gentlemen wearing them.  It comes in quite handy during a hail storm from hell.

That fabulous hat was called a "Jaguar," and was made by Knox hats, a New York-based hat maker, back in the day.  Probably this design has been made by other companies under other names at some point, but I'm willing to bet HAA's version is a "Jaguar."

Petofi

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2006, 06:35:05 AM »
Oh yeah.  The hat and gloves were hot!  They were a great touch.  They were so "warlock."
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2006, 03:56:03 AM »
Oh yeah.  The hat and gloves were hot!  They were a great touch.  They were so "warlock."

I *loved* the hat and gloves. Totally classy. Men need to dress like that more often.

Offline tragic bat

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2006, 04:17:02 AM »
I too must say that I loved the way Nicholas could accesorize!

On the original topic, though, I agree that HAA could have been used more; he was notably absent from both paralell time streams, and this was unfortunate.  I loved Nicholas Blair so much when he appeared, and while I also think Evan Hanley is a great character, I found Charles Dawson very forgettable.   He should have been able to play completely different roles, especailly because only Nicholas was really ever a landmark villain. 
“You could have devoted your life to a serious study of the occult instead of just being some freak who can tell the future!”--RT 1970 Roxanne.

Offline Sandor

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2006, 06:30:40 AM »
Yes, HAA deserved more air time - particularly because his scenes with Lara Parker and Grayson Hall were so dicey and fun to watch (and re-watch).
My fave scene was when [spoiler]Angelique was on the loose, "vamp"ing poor Barnabas. Julia Hoffman caught wind of it, brought a stake and mallet to Nicholas' house, prompting Nicholas to wryly comment "A memento of your visit, Doctor?"[/spoiler] Only Julia had the guts to push the envelope with our favorite warlock... well, Angelique did too... but she got a slap across the face for her defiance. Now that I think about it, Nicholas and Julia share the honor of being the only two characters to ever smack Angelique upside the face.

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2006, 08:12:47 AM »
He was also one of the sexiest guys on DS. I mean, his scenes as Nicholas Blair with Maggie Evans were hot (and, not offense, but DS doesn't have that many really hot sexy scenes). I remember Nicholas and Maggie were sitting in the Blue Whale discussing Joe and he's stirring his drink seductively while eyeing Maggie in the sexiest way. Lots of sex appeal in this guy that was only utilized as Nicholas Blair.

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2006, 10:39:42 PM »
I liked the hat, I think. For some unknown reason almost every other male actor on the show (excepting Dr. Woodward) who wore hats looked horrible. They were either too small or too dorky and it just was very unattractive.

The big mystery for me was why the poor man only got one suit to wear for his run on the show.

Liked HAA.  Liked Nicholas. Liked Evan even if he was pretty darn incompetent and lord knows he really was incompetent. Never can remember the third dude...
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Ian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2006, 11:05:00 PM »
Liked HAA.  Liked Nicholas. Liked Evan even if he was pretty darn incompetent and lord knows he really was incompetent. Never can remember the third dude...

Charles Dawson, but don't expect me to remember him. Unfortunately, I've never seen anything past summer of 1970. :(