Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0536  (Read 1108 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0536
« on: May 05, 2008, 09:37:13 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0536
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 07:59:17 AM »
I like this episode.  With its theme of two men linked, it belongs in 1970 parallel time, but they hadn't dreamed up parallel time yet, so we get it now.

Willie's grief for Barnabas is surprising.  The last time we saw them together, Barnabas was being quite cruel to Willie, and anyway, Willie hasn't been a nice person at all since he got back from Windcliff.  Now he is full of compassion for Barnabas, and for Julia as well.

Stokes's "feeling" about Adam is essential to the plot, but it puzzles me - perhaps wrongly.  When Stokes messed around with the Dream, we learned that he had supernatural abilities, which, as far as I remember, weren't ever specified, so that I have trouble believing in them even though we saw a demonstration.  The "feeling" could be a result of those supernatural abilities, or maybe Stokes, knowing how Adam came into existence, reasons that he can't die that simply.  The latter seems unlikely to me; in his position I would think that Adam would be more likely to die unexpectedly.  After all, how long can you keep an unnatural creature alive?  So...what was the "feeling"?  Maybe we find out in tomorrow's episode.  I can't remember.

When I finally finished watching the whole series after Barnabas's arrival, one of the things that surprised me was how sparingly Professor Stokes was used.  I think that 1968 was when we saw him the most often.  Just as we never get a back-story for Julia, we never get one for Stokes, either.  I'm glad we didn't.  It would diminish him.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 09:46:57 PM »
I always wonder what the fans were thinking.  I know I kept saying Barnabas can't be dead.  I forgot
how long before Julia heard the tape from DR  Lang that we see on the front page.

I wonder what thing that JF needed to do, he needed some days off. Another day he didn't have to worry
about lines.

Why couldn't Cassandra just be happy with Roger? Just think she had the status and the money that she
wanted and she could still bring down the family.  But why should she want to? Just think of all the things
she could do as a Collins.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 08:53:42 AM »
It was quite surprising to discover how much Willie cared for Barnabas. He must have had a selective memory. [ghost_wink] I was glad Julia wasn't able to stake Barnabas. [whew] She wasn't any different than Joshua was all those years ago. [ghost_azn] The scenes between Julia and Willie when they buried Barnabas were quite touching. Julia was actually nice to him... offering him a job at Windcliffe. As I watched them grieving for Barnabas, I felt rather sad.  [ghost_sad]

I thought it was fascinating how Adam clutched his neck when Barnabas was bitten, and "died" when Barnabas "died". [ghost_rolleyes] I also felt sad. [sadg] I found it quite curious when Prof. Stokes didn't trust that Adam would stay dead. I wonder what that "feeling" was? [ghost_huh]

----- Sally -----
[coolg] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 12:28:45 AM »
I was surprised to see Willie quite upset about Barnabas' "death." From what we've seen, they really haven't gotten along a whole lot better than they had when Barnabas was still the vampire and Willie was still his slave. We should have seen some more scenes where Barnabas and Willie were starting to become more friendly towards each other.

I am glad that Julia didn't stake Barnabas in the longrun either.

I remember hating Cassandra/Angelique really bad, because for a few moments I wondered if she had finally became victorious. If I had been Julia, I wouldn't have left Collinwood without torching her bed with HER in it (minus Roger of course).

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008, 12:53:11 PM »
(minus Roger of course).
Oh, I don't know about that.  The alcohol fumes would have helped to get a good blaze going.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2008, 02:33:53 PM »
 [pointing-up] [laughing4] Hey, I never thought about that. Good point, Lydia. [ghost_wink]