Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0903  (Read 399 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0903
« on: March 13, 2015, 05:28:08 PM »
Robservations #903

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0903

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 11:55:00 PM »
Hail and farewell to Sho Onodera, who plays Mr. Nakamura, the only Asian character ever to appear on the show.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 02:05:49 AM »
Little Baby Leviathan may breathe like a leaky radiator, but it already has super powers! Just as Elizabeth is about to open the door to the chosen room, she and Megan hear a crash downstairs. They go downstairs too, giving David a chance to escape.

Olivia Corey (who is wearing a bright red pants suit with a long scarf) has rented a suite at the Collins Port Inn and has decorated the sitting room with not one but two photos of herself. (The fireplace features blue and white pseudo-Delft tiles, last seen in Victoria Winters’s bedroom at the Old House in 1795.) She tells Julia (who is wearing an inexplicable bandage, covered with makeup, on her chin), I want to mount a show of painting by Charles Delaware Tate. I would like to find the portrait he painted of my grandmother. Olivia seems moved by his “tragedy,” commenting,  I'm talking about a handsome young man with a great talent, admired, adored--then suddenly out of style and forgotten. No one knows whether he's dead or alive. Olivia decides he must have grown more bitter as the years passed and his gifts faded away. Julia acquiesces: I will allow you to have my Tate photographed. I’ll send Mrs. Stoddard’s chauffeur with the painting.

Of course the "chauffeur" is Chris, and Julia wants him to get a sample of Olivia's handwriting to prove that she's actually Amanda Harris. Mr. Nakamura is late bringing Julia's painting back from supposedly photographing it--but we will soon find out why. "Jennings" the "chauffeur" asks Amanda for her autograph as a souvenir with a special inscription: To Chris Jennings, in memory of our meeting at the Collinwood Inn. She agrees and writes it out (in pencil, strangely). He thanks her and leaves. Olivia tells Mr. Nakamura, He could be very useful to us. How long it will take to get what you went for? One hour, he replies.

Julia is pleased to have her painting back, undamaged after its adventure. Chris is sure something was going on, and Julia decides they will check tomorrow to see if Mr. Nakamura really did go to a photographer. Chris triumphantly gives Julia Olivia’s autograph, and she compares it with the 1897 letter. They are very similar, she notes, but are they the same? (Surely eighty years would change anyone’s handwriting!) Julia decides to consult Professor Stokes, who is an expert at handwriting analysis (as he seems to be at everything else!). But Chris is preoccupied and admits he found Olivia Corey very attractive. Men found Amanda Harris attractive too, Julia replies dryly.

At 10:35 p.m., Mr. Nakamura returns to Olivia’s suite with a large, brown envelope. I got the best technician in Collinsport to do the work, Mr. Nakamura says, adding, and he will be silent. She takes an x-ray out of the envelope and holds it up for Mr. Nakamura to examine. There is definitely another painting underneath the landscape, he says. It’s a portrait, Olivia says, but whose? You know what to do next, she tells Mr. Nakamura. He nods and smiles.....

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 08:51:07 PM »
Grayson VO.  I think it starts with David protecting the asthmatic baby, because in my notes, I imagine him saying "I've brought you this inhaler!"  Welcome, Mr. Nakamura!!  Now it's a party!!  Stokes, a handwriting expert? 

Julia is all for helping Chris now, though she was very reluctant pre-1897.  I guess she has to be pretty invested in it all by now, after her astral trip, and finding out so much...  I get the feeling, though, that for Julia, investigating the 1897 aftermath in 1969 is a sort of hobby gone out of control.  I think that even an unaffected, unpossessed Barnabas would feel a need to knock off from it all for awhile, at this point.

How'd I miss a bandage on Grayson's chin?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 10:01:48 PM »
Grayson's bandage was covered with makeup. You can see it in one of the frame grabs on DS Wiki, if that's available to you.

In a way it's lucky that Stokes is also a handwriting expert--maybe from reading Ben's journal. But at least it's one way Julia can distract him from trying to find out the truth about Barnabas.

Also, now that we're back to evil Barnabas, he's back to wearing industrial-strength eyeliner.