Author Topic: Blair Brown TV Guide Article  (Read 741 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Blair Brown TV Guide Article
« on: April 02, 2004, 10:38:42 AM »
Page 1:

Click here for the cover. (Mine has my name and address on it - and they're something you're never likely to see on the forum.  [lghy])

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re:Blair Brown TV Guide Article
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2004, 10:49:24 AM »
Page 2:

By Susan Littwin

"I was married to a musician named Fred
C. Dodd, and the guy has a hold on
my heart so tight that sometimes I think
I'm never going to breathe again."--Molly
Dodd to a shrink in an episode of NBC's
The Days and Nights of Molly Dodd

Molly Dodd is a woman in her mid-30S who lives alone in New York City. Unlike the perfect women who balance marriage and career up and down the prime-time schedule, Molly is a floater. She drifts from job to oh: she has trouble getting along with her mother. She writes odd poetry and has rambling conversations with her elevator man. And she is in love with a man--her ex-husband--who is even more of a floater than she is.
Blair Brown, the actress who plays Molly, steps out of the hotel elevator and crosses the lobby with a step so light her red shoes seem to skim the thick carpet. "I'm sorry to keep you waiting. I had to make one call--to my boy friend in London. There's nothing worse than a bi-continental romance, I've reached a point where I hate the phone," She says all this with an easy, matter-of-fact laugh, something like her walk.
Brown has flown in from New York to promote Molly, and the show's publicist has set us up with a night out at Los Angeles's hottest new restaurant, a dream-like place swathed in white tenting and white umbrellas. The other diners, too, seem to have been chosen by the decorator--tan skin, pale tousled hair, billowing white dresses. Brown sits there, an island of New York chic, in her subtle. tailored neutrals with red accents, her creamy skin, her gamin-cut copper hair. But she takes it all in happily. "You never see places like this in New York, This is what California is about--light and air," She eats hungrily, sensuously, praising each dish--oyster flan, sauteed salmon, lemon-meringue tart. When we are ready to leave, she looks around from the doorway and notices that the white tenting and umbrellas disguise a bare concrete room. `Its nothing but a big garage, isn't it?" she observes. "They can practically hose it down every night."

Brown is a woman who can love a restaurant and then look up and see that it is just white sheeting over concrete. That independence, that clarity are what set her apart from Molly. Like her character, she is a bit of a free spirit, a rebel. But where Molly is lost, undefined, strewing pieces of herself over the landscape, Brown is her own person, neatly wrapped around some inner core. She is emotional, vulnerable, passionately loyal, but now--in her mid-30s--no one has a chokehold on her heart.
Almost no one. After dinner we take a walk down Melrose Avenue. L.A's strip of trendy, New Wave shops. Bemused, she passes the windows full of clothes, furniture, clocks, jewelry. What sucks her in like an industrial vacuum cleaner are the toy stores. "Robert loves white bats" she says, tenderly fingering a hideous rubber monster. Robert is her 5-year-old son, whom she left behind in New York nearly 24 hours ago and misses terribly. His father is actor Richard Jordan, -->

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2004, 10:58:22 AM »
Page 3:

continued

with whom Brown had a nine-year liaison that ended two years ago. It was a tumultuous, romantic relationship that ricocheted across the country depending on who was working and where. Officially, he lived in Los Angeles, she in New York, and sometimes there were long separations. "Neither of us thought it was a good idea to turn down work just to be together. I don't know if that's so good or not, but that's what was important to us.' Their status didn't change when she became pregnant. "It's the best thing we could ever have done--to bring this boy onto the planet," she says simply. "We both felt that if I ever got pregnant we would get married. But then, once we decided to have a baby, it seemed superfluous. It wasn't that I wanted to have a baby without a husband. I really didn't have any attitude about it."
By now, we are in front of a shop that specializes in costumes for children. She looks in the window on this warm spring evening, her mind already racing to Halloween. She had a baby, but now she has a 5-year-old who needs friends, school, holiday celebrations. . . stability, financial security. Brown was an actress who liked variety. She did stage and feature films ("Altered States," "Continental Divide," "A Flash of Green") as well as television. A series seemed too unvarying, too long a commitment. Now, it seems like a steady job, a normal life.

The next morning, she greets a visitor in her hotel room, still lovely in a loose, drapey skirt and blouse and no makeup. The phone rings. It is her boy friend in London, British playwright-director David Hare, whom she has been seeing (or talking to) for the past year and a half. "Thank you for your present. I loved it," she says in the warm but guarded voice people use when they are not alone. Hare is disappointed that she can't talk.
Brown is one of those women men are drawn to. She isn't a centerfold beauty; she has instead approachable, idiosyncratic good looks. When men talk about her, they use words like "warm," "intelligent," "real." Jay Tarses, who wrote and produced Molly and directed most of the episodes, says, "I want to work with her until I die." Yet Jordan and Hare felt a clear sense of danger when they met her. "Richard told me that he knew right away that I was trouble," she says. She met Hare during a Washington, D.C., production of his play `Plenty." "I loved being directed by him," she says. "I really got his notes, and he liked directing me." It sounds intimate as she talks about it, and her voice and her syntax trail off. "It's odd that people from such different backgrounds can really understand the other person's point of view."

Her own background is deceptively ordinary. "I was an only child. I grew up in Washington. My mother was a teacher; my father worked for the Government." More specifically, her father worked for the CIA. "He was gone a lot, and we would give our letters to the Agency, and get letters and postcards from all these faraway places with strange-sounding names. He started bringing back dolls, too, which were extraordinary. And his friends started to send them, too. So I ended up with the definitive CIA doll collection. They may have contained messages or plans for coups. For all I know, I was a shill for something." She never thought it odd that her father had no office parties or pals, as other fathers did. But once, as a teen-ager, she and a friend took the bus to the CIA, and announced to the startled security guards that they wanted to see their fathers.
She assumed that she would grow up to be an academic or a doctor, and she went to Madeira, an elite preparatory school for girls, whereƒâ€žat the crest of the Kennedy era--she met a lot of bright girls from liberal families, Her father was a conservative Republican, and "all of us looked like little Jackie clones," she recalls. (But she was the Jackie clone who went on to play the part in the NBC movie "Kennedy.")
She also discovered, to her dismay, that she hated school and just didn't have the concentration to be a good student. After two dismal years at -->

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2004, 11:10:36 AM »
Page 4:

continued

college, she thought of taking a year off to study acting, a cheap substitute for going to Europe. Her father had a connection at the Canadian Embassy, and it was arranged that she audition for the National Theater School of Canada. "That was very uncharacteristic of him. I realize now that he must have been very worried about me."

Clearly, he was guided by some Higher Power. She was accepted at the Theater School, and almost instantly knew that it was what she wanted to do with her life. The training was classical, and after three years, the graduates fed into regional theater. In 1976, she landed a part in the NBC miniseries Captains and the Kings and came to California, where she met Jordan on the set. "I remember the second I first saw him. He was doing a scene, and he sizzled. He was a tall, incredibly handsome man with a lot of hair swishing around."
The roles in miniseries, TV-movies and feature films followed. In between, she appeared in plays. She worked steadily and well, but there was a crowded field
of actresses her age, and she never quite broke through into stardom. But if any one role was critical in her life, it was the one she played in "Continental Divide" opposite John Belushi. She felt closest to her character, a naturalist who lives in the Rockies. "I liked the fact that she was stubbom and formidable and could dig in. It's not necessarily an admirable quality, but I like that."
And in a way, her life imitated the film. Her character and Belushi's--a Chicago reporter--fall in love. At the end, they marry and agree to live apart in their separate worlds. Now, six years later in real life, she lives in New York with her work and her son, while Hare remains in London with his work and his children. She accepts this without self-pity. Could either abandon their lives and just move? "I know that way madness lies," she says. "It would mean unhappiness for everyone."
But "Continental Divide" also had a practical impact on her career. Its executive producer, Bernie Brillstein, approached her about starring in a series and introduced her to Jay Tarses. The two hit it off, and Tarses produced a pilot about high-school teachers called The Faculty, which ABC found too dark. At about this time, NBC programming chief Brandon Tartikoff asked Tarses and Brillstein to develop a series about a woman in her mid-30s who lives in the city. Brown was immediately wrapped into the package, and Tarses flew to New York to get to know her well enough to write the character around her. When Tarses came up with Molly Dodd, Brillstein quipped, "If The Mary Tyler Moore Show were made in the '80s, she would be divorced and not so happy and she'd go to a shrink."
This makes Molly a risky, unsettling show. Its loosely wrapped half-hour episodes are hardly typical sitcom. The producers call it a dramatic comedy. "We want slices of life, vignettes," says Tarses. "We want our characters to grow and change slightly as you get to know them." Says Brilistein, "I truly believe the audience is smarter than we credit them for being. And Topeka isn't so different from New York or Los Angeles. Not every show has to have a 40 share." Yet Molly has surprised everyone with ratings in or near the top 10 in its early weeks.

While the producers anxiously await word of renewal from NBC, back in her hotel room the star of the Show takes it all in stride. She likes Molly, and she would like to do more with her in later episodes. The breakfast coffee gets cold and morning ripens into noon. Hare calls again, incredulous that she is still being interviewed. But she is used to making all the jigsaw pieces of her life fit together somehow--her work, her son, his father, her distant boy friend. Hits and failures and things too close to call. Since that morning, she and Hare have ended their relationship. "As you grow older," Brown says, "you realize that you have to absorb losses and contradictory truths. A lot of them are very sad, and that's what living is. Everybody gets it doled out." [end]

TV GUIDE JULY 25, 1987