Author Topic: Idea for "Return to Collinwood".  (Read 8811 times)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re:Idea for "Return to Collinwood".
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2003, 04:46:33 PM »
  The image of Barnabas bouncing a baby on his knee is too weird even for DS!

You said it, Happybat!! [a345]
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2003, 06:35:27 PM »
In a recent interview, KLS mentioned that she would love to see Lara Parker and herself reunited as Angelique and Maggie/Josette, running a bed-and-breakfast in Collinsport, and torturing each other a la WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO BABY JANE?

Given the DS characters' seeming fondness for dysfunctional relationships, I think that would be an absolutely perfect element for a new series, especially if KLS were allowed to play the heavy this time around.

"Butcha ARE, Angelique!  Ya are in that wheelchair!"

Regards,

John

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2003, 11:28:42 PM »
Lucia is right. . we'll forever get the train thing. ..::yawn::  DC and the rest of us should just move on . .fantasize in our heads but nothing will ever compare to the lovely memories we have of the show and the space it fills. . .and i really wouldn't want them to continue trying. . .And i can't see DC using original cast members. .a few were interested in the 91 Revival (mostly known  I guess is Parker wanted to play Dr Hoffman [frkoff] ) and he didn't go for it then. . .and that sorta ploy would've certainly pulled in a lot more viewers. . .??
Julia99

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2003, 11:43:29 PM »
Based on my previous post, a castle-in-the-air story could be:
David leaves South American and returns home to help Carolyn accept her husbands death. He mentions that he thinks he has found Burke Devlin and was hot on his trail when Carolyn's lawyer advised that he return home.  Quentin leaves his current theatre run and returns to Collinwood because he's been slowing aging(to his current age). A seance is held and Angelique appears, kicking and screaming, because she was busy planning her son's wedding and doesn't have time to help the Collins family out--again!
Barnabas may know how to solve the problem but Willie is reluctant to tell everyone that Barnabas has been in Canada getting treatment for his vampirism. Maggie returns home to see the old homestead, looking like the talented and lovely KLS, and gets caught up in the nonsense. You could even throw in Victoria Winters(Alexandra Moltke) as a ghost with common sense for a change.
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2003, 12:00:36 AM »
Wouldn't you think that with the great success of supernatural shows on TV for the last oh, 5 years or so.....that DC should have jumped back into the fray before now?

I suspect he took a long serious look at something like "Buffy", admitted to himself that he hadn't a clue how to do THAT  and decided not to try and fail.

I think he talks about a "new" DS like my brother talks about moving to Vermont...lots of yakking, never gonna happen.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2003, 01:24:40 AM »
Just so long as Hallie Stokes is nowhere to be found  ;)

I'd love to see a DS: TNG. David Henesy probably wouldn't want to reprise his role, so far as I can tell, but Nancy Barrett could probably be persuaded to reprise Carolyn if it's a recurring thing or a prime time weekly show. I can easily see KLS and LP doing cameos if not joining the regular cast, and John Karlen as well.

For a trip through time, I've always wanted to see the show do a "roaring 20's" timeline, filling in the gaps between Edward and Judith's generation and Elizabeth and Paul's. We could find out who Liz and Roger's mother was, the circumstances of her meeting a grown up Jamison, and whatever became of Nora.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2003, 03:03:42 AM »
Just so long as Hallie Stokes is nowhere to be found  ;)

For a trip through time, I've always wanted to see the show do a "roaring 20's" timeline, filling in the gaps between Edward and Judith's generation and Elizabeth and Paul's. We could find out who Liz and Roger's mother was, the circumstances of her meeting a grown up Jamison, and whatever became of Nora.

Oh, Dr. Lang, you've made my day!  I've always wanted to see a story set in the Roaring Twenties.  Imagine a Collinwood where Jamison Collins is master (married, of course, but having tons of affairs on the side, driving his wife crazy), Nora Collins lives as a spinster, and Elizabeth and Roger are just wee-widdo ones.  I can just picture a big, Gatbsy-style party with flappers, the Charleston, and all the illegal booze that Collins money could provide.  Of course, this is pre-change-1897-history, so Carl Collins will be there as well.  Twenty-three skiddoo!

Gerard

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2003, 04:13:53 AM »
For a trip through time, I've always wanted to see the show do a "roaring 20's" timeline

We've talked about this many times before, but back in the '80s, a '20s flashback was part of the proposal for a DS reunion movie, entitled, oddly enough, Return to Collinwood. But like the vast majority of DS projects, nothing ever came of it. Though the big stumbling block with this one was that the producer, Steve Young, wanted to license the DS rights from DC (Young even had the former writers, producer and most of the stars (pending the finished script) on board) but DC wouldn't hear of it. ::)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2003, 04:16:10 AM »
Angelique finds happiness in marriage and motherhood. What a story!

Angelique? Motherhood?  [haironend]  Whoa, what a scary thought!!

Offline Julian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2003, 02:08:29 PM »
I think a great idea for a story would be for Ruben Stoddard of American Idol fame to show up at Collinwood to claim his inheritance.

Offline Eleanor_Rigby

• Full Poster
  • So it goes -- Kilgore Trout
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2003, 03:15:47 PM »
ROFLMAO, Julian!!!  I would lay some cures on you if I had the ability.   [bigok]
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2003, 07:36:49 PM »
In a recent interview, KLS mentioned that she would love to see Lara Parker and herself reunited as Angelique and Maggie/Josette, running a bed-and-breakfast in Collinsport, and torturing each other a la WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO BABY JANE?

Given the DS characters' seeming fondness for dysfunctional relationships, I think that would be an absolutely perfect element for a new series, especially if KLS were allowed to play the heavy this time around.

"Butcha ARE, Angelique!  Ya are in that wheelchair!"

Regards,

John

And how about a follow-up with both redoing Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte?  Angelique is the only one left at Collinwood and it's about to be bulldozed to make room for Disneymaine, and she refuses to budge, having gone rather "eccentric".  So along comes Maggie Evans to "convince" her it's time to move.  Of course, someone will have to take over the part of Mrs. Johnson, playing it ala Agnes Moorehead.  Lara Parker can even dig up her original southern accent:  "This is mah house, an ain't no one gonna tear it down!"

Gerard

Offline Tanis

• Full Poster
  • I Love Dark Shadows
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2003, 11:35:08 PM »

Really, a son of Barnabas, I wasn't aware that the dead were able to have offspring.  [confused5]   I suppose anything is possible on DS.

Love all your ideas.

Tanis
There are no strangers, only friends we've yet to meet.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2003, 12:16:55 AM »
TANIS!!!  I'm thrilled to see you posting!!!  ;)
Dylan Thomas

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2003, 03:14:14 AM »
There was a chat with someone at DCP several years ago; mid-90s, when DC was having one of his usual "I'm going to do DS again" flings. This was before I was ever contracted for Dreams of the Dark. (Someone here may remember the event better than I do.) I specifically brought up the point that, if DS were to come back, wouldn't it be a better idea to NOT rehash the original Barnabas story again? I was pretty much dismissed, with DC's proxy stating, "Oh, no, Barnabas and Josette are the foundation of Dark Shadows, and real DS fans would certainly prefer to see that story."

I was not enthused, to say the least. I'm sorely afraid that if a new series should ever come to pass--which I frankly doubt--it would be another retread. There's also the fact that DC is getting up there a bit in years, and if he really plans to do DS again, I suspect he would have to do it relatively soon if he intends to be personally involved in it. Look at it this way; if he were to get approval for a DS TV project tomorrow, it wouldn't surprise me if it took two full years before it ever saw broadcast--which is just reason, as far as DC is concerned, to fall back on the original story; it's already written, thus less new territory to forge into.

--Mark