Author Topic: Idea for "Return to Collinwood".  (Read 8817 times)

Offline Happybat

• Full Poster
  • Jag gillar Dark Shadows!
    • View Profile
Idea for "Return to Collinwood".
« on: June 04, 2003, 08:24:06 PM »
A while ago I  read somewhere that DC is considering coming up with a new Dark Shadows for television.  I don't know if this is just an idle rumor, but I have an idea or two,  as I'm sure most of you do.

My idea for a Dark Shadows redux would be having a now 40-something David Collins inheriting Collinwood after Roger and Elizabeth die, and returning there with his wife Amy Jennings.  David is now an expert on the paranormal with perhaps a day job as psychologist.  Still marked by all those childhood traumas he and Amy had to endure, they have decided to put their personal demons to rest by discovering the real Collinwood curse, which has plagued his family for centuries.  It seems this might be the starting point for some intriguing stories in the DS canon.

Perhaps you could even have some former actor cameos (Selby? Parker? KLS?).  Nancy Barrett could even return as Carolyn.

Now, I wonder who would play David and Amy?

I know this isn't a terribly original idea, but just thought I'd share it anyway.   :)
Happybat

"One can only truly understand what one can create"--Giambattista Vico, Italian philosopher

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re:Idea for "Return to Collinwood".
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2003, 08:32:40 PM »
I know this isn't a terribly original idea, but just thought I'd share it anyway.   :)

It's certainly a better idea than another re-making of the original....as proven by the success of the  multiple "Star Trek's".

Yes, you'd want original cast members to pop in now and again....but it would have to be a new generation with entirely new stories.

Who should play David and Amy?  Any two actors who look like real people, and not like Barbie and Ken.

"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2003, 08:41:00 PM »
i agree with both of you . i don't want to see the same old story remade again but would like to see how the
story continued. great idea HappyBat! :)

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Eleanor_Rigby

• Full Poster
  • So it goes -- Kilgore Trout
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2003, 09:00:27 PM »
I wouldn't want to see the same old storyline repeated either, ick.   :P

Happybat, I really like your idea a lot.

A sort of dream casting for David & Amy:  Brad Pitt and Jodie Foster.  They would be in the right age group.  Or David Duchovny and Sandra Bullock.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss

Offline Misty

• Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2003, 10:27:57 PM »
 :D What a delightful idea, Happybat!! I can certainly visualize the scenario. There will almost surely have to be a vampire---descended from cousin Barnabas. I will have to think about actors, but Sean Penn seems plausible.
                                                       Misty
" Small things amuse small minds"--------at least my students have been led to believe!

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2003, 01:11:58 AM »
Although a remake would be interesting, a where-are-they-now, next-generation would be far more interesting.  I think the two main characters should be not only an adult David (married with children), but also Carolyn.  Maybe they could convince at least Nancy Barrett to reprise the part.  The two could be co-heirs, master/mistress of Collinwood.  But I think it should start out with everything having been calm and quiet at Collinwood the past thirty-some years when suddenly - boom! - "something" happens, dredging up memories and away we go.

Gerard

Offline murph

• Full Poster
  • I love Dark Shadows!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2003, 01:49:31 AM »
My preference to play David and Amy would be David Henesy and Denise Nickerson.  They had great chemistry together all those years ago and who knows they still may.  I know this is very unlikely because to my understanding neither of them have acted in over twenty years and I don't believe they have any interest in doing so.  But it sure would be interesting to see them reprising their roles.  Maybe it would be a welcome break from the career paths they have taken.

I think it would be great if Nancy Barrett, KLS  and others reprised their roles as well.

Just my opinion.

Thanks,

Murph

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2003, 02:29:22 AM »
Although a remake would be interesting, a where-are-they-now, next-generation would be far more interesting.  I think the two main characters should be not only an adult David (married with children), but also Carolyn.  Maybe they could convince at least Nancy Barrett to reprise the part.  The two could be co-heirs, master/mistress of Collinwood.  But I think it should start out with everything having been calm and quiet at Collinwood the past thirty-some years when suddenly - boom! - "something" happens, dredging up memories and away we go. Gerard
Not a bad idea, Gerard. TPTB could even incorporate a little real life into Collinwood--with Carolyn singing in NYC but living in Collinwood during the off times; David living in South America trying to find Burke Devlin; Willie tending the Old House in his old age while Barnabas is "away"; Maggie finally becoming wealthy with her publishing empire while Quentin became a matinee idol and Angelique finds happiness in marriage and motherhood. What a story!
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline HobbiesDS

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Junior Poster
  • It must be a full moon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2003, 02:48:11 AM »
It sounds great.  I like all of the ideas!  And can't you just see Carolyn and David sharing Collingwood.  It would be the Roger and Liz dynamics all over again.

HobbiesDS
HobbiesDS

Offline Stuart

• Full Poster
  • Can you smell chips?
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Journal Online
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2003, 03:02:13 AM »
I think a new soap -- and I do think if DS was to return, it would need to be as a soap -- would have to be a sequel to have a chance of succeeding, and I think it could do fine.

I'd enlist a couple of original cast to maintain the show's heritage and otherwise populate it with recasts of the younger characters and new faces that fit the show's familiar archetypes.
http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com | The Dark Shadows News Page
http://www.collinwood.net | Visit the Dark Shadows Journal Online

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2003, 05:43:26 AM »
I am in complete agreement with all of you:  the best way to revive DS is by doing a sequel to the original series.  The premise of Collinwood, thirty years later, is rich with possibilities.  It is frustrating that DC seemingly is not interested in exploring them.

Regards,

John 

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2003, 06:07:33 AM »
I love it!!!  DAvid and Amy...Carolyn...Quentin.  Perhaps one of Barnabas' sons has the affection....someone like...Johnny Depp.  The whole thing would be great. [blackbat]
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2003, 01:01:53 PM »
Although a remake would be interesting, a where-are-they-now, next-generation would be far more interesting.  I think the two main characters should be not only an adult David (married with children), but also Carolyn.  Maybe they could convince at least Nancy Barrett to reprise the part.  The two could be co-heirs, master/mistress of Collinwood.  But I think it should start out with everything having been calm and quiet at Collinwood the past thirty-some years when suddenly - boom! - "something" happens, dredging up memories and away we go. Gerard
Not a bad idea, Gerard. TPTB could even incorporate a little real life into Collinwood--with Carolyn singing in NYC but living in Collinwood during the off times; David living in South America trying to find Burke Devlin; Willie tending the Old House in his old age while Barnabas is "away"; Maggie finally becoming wealthy with her publishing empire while Quentin became a matinee idol and Angelique finds happiness in marriage and motherhood. What a story!
You're not going to believe this, Carol, but that's pretty much what I thought the opening story should be!

Gerard

Offline Happybat

• Full Poster
  • Jag gillar Dark Shadows!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2003, 04:24:40 PM »
It's great posting something that generates so many excellent responses!

I'm in complete agreement with all of you that simply rehashing the same, tired old storylines would be a mistake.  Doing a next generation saga would not only allow the writers to come up with fresh new storylines but also link it to the original show and allow former stars to make a DS comeback.

However, ghost and vampire themes are such strong and universal ones that they can and should (this IS Dark Shadows, after all!) be incorporated, but with different stories.

What about having Quentin's portrait destroyed in one storyline, thereby allowing him to age to David Selby's present vintage (just like a fine claret!)?  Of course, someone would also have to come up with a way to prevent Quentin from sprouting fur and fangs again every full moon, but that could  be part of the story, too.

Gerard, I like your idea of Carolyn and David sharing Collinwood.  What a treat it would be to see Nancy Barrett reprising her role!  Willie tending the Old House in his senior years also sounds entirely believable to me.  I also like the tantalizing teaser of leaving open the possibility of Barnabas returning.  Somehow I can't imagine him having progeny of his own, however.  The image of Barnabas bouncing a baby on his knee is too weird even for DS!

Anyway, love your ideas!
Happybat

"One can only truly understand what one can create"--Giambattista Vico, Italian philosopher

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2003, 04:39:24 PM »
As long as DC is alive and has any kind of say, I suspect we will be subjected to that damn Girl on a Train/Josette/Barnabas plot, even though it's time and appeal has really pretty much left the station.

However, since we're doing castles in the air, I'm with everyone else. A next-generation plot would be the most feasible. David and whoever (or is it whomever)he's married to returns to Collinwood and appropriately dark and supernatural things occur.
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga