Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0818  (Read 1723 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0818
« on: July 09, 2009, 08:55:10 PM »

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0818
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 02:36:13 AM »
Petofi and Tate. Boring.  It looks like Charles is wearing one of my Mother's old maternity smocks from the 60's .  Why is Petofi helping Quentin?   What a great line of Petofi's  "I have but one god, his name is Petofi."   Petofi claims now that he is helping Quentin because he is part of the future, but Petofi didn't know that until now.   Oh! it looks like Charity is in trouble.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 11:41:33 AM »
Major Milestones Not Already Mentioned: [milestone]
1. Tate completed Quentin's painting. Petofi stopped him from destroying it.
2. Quentin told Beth that Lenore would stay with Mrs. Fillmore.
3. Charity spoke to Beth and Tate about Quentin. Tate figured out that Quentin was the werewolf.
4. Petofi took away Charity's ability to speak.

Why is Petofi helping Quentin?
I think it's because Petofi was a werewolf, too, and knew what it was like. Also, I think Quentin reminded him of himself. [ghost_wink]

I like the scene when Beth said she wanted to go away with Quentin and they both fantasized about traveling the world together. They both had a faraway look in their eyes and were happy for a brief moment. But Quentin turned her down because he knew his chances were better if he stayed. Very bittersweet.  [love9]

Quentin looked like he did when he was a ghost as he watched Petofi making Charity speechless. Quentin was speechless, too - and motionless. He was riveted to what was happening.  [ghost_shocked]

It was another one of those exciting endings. I love it! [ghost_cheesy] There was the music, "Bum, Bum, Bummmm...." - and then it echoed - and then we saw the Dan Curtis Productions screen. Great! [cheer]

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 12:28:23 AM »
Does anybody know why there was a no-show day between 817 which aired on 8/12 and 818 which aired on 8/14?

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 07:38:11 AM »
Roland,

MB gave the reason in the WP schedule for those eps, and again in the main topic of Discuss - Ep #0817.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 06:33:21 PM »
Why is Petofi helping Quentin?
I think it's because Petofi was a werewolf, too, and knew what it was like. Also, I think Quentin reminded him of himself. [ghost_wink]

I don't think that's it.  Empathy isn't one of Petofi's traits.  And we have this exchange from #801/2--
Quentin asks, in a heartbreaking voice, "Why won't you help me? If you know what it's like, why won't you?" To get something, you must pay the price, says Petofi--a little bargaining, perhaps. I'm willing to bargain, says Quentin. You're only willing to cringe, says Petofi, to make inept excuses--you must learn--I paid my price (he holds up his false hand) you must pay yours!

When Petofi first arrived, his primary goal was to retrieve the hand, and Magda had unwittingly made his task easier by having taken it out of her tribe's control.  So originally, curing Quentin was a bargaining chip-- something Petofi could dangle before Quentin in exchange for his aid in recovering the hand and at one point to get Quentin to release him (while he occupied Jamison's body) from the locked cell.  And bringing Tate in to paint the portrait seemed to set the stage for Petofi to provide the cure down the line.

Quote from: alwaysdavid
Petofi claims now that he is helping Quentin because he is part of the future, but Petofi didn't know that until now.

Yes.  Now that Petofi and his hand have been reunited, his new goal is to permanently escape the gyspies, so his purpose in aiding Quentin has changed too.

The afghan with the black background is in Tate's cottage, and in exactly the same spot that the Evanses will place it 70 years in the future.  Take that, I-Ching!

In the final scene, with Charity threatening to sic her father on Petofi, I wouldn't have known what Petofi did to Charity had he not said "you've lost your voice" because we only had the one camera at that moment and it was trained on the back of her head.

Offline fanforever

• Junior Poster
  • You and your teastrainer were absolutely brilliant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 08:09:50 AM »
I don't think that's it.  Empathy isn't one of Petofi's traits.

I don't think empathy is the answer, either, but rather a sort of a similarity between them. When Petofi (via Jamison) was possessing everyone in Collinwood, he spared Quentin because Quentin was a realist. He saw in Quentin something akin to himself, and since Petofi's god is Petofi, he would try to spare anything that reminded him of himself.
There has to be more . . . More . . . MORE!!!

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 02:14:02 AM »
Charity's trying to walk a fine line between not telling on Quentin lest he kill her (or whatever) and warning people about him.  And, being the same Charity who was so obvious about her crush on Quentin, she's doing a lousy job of it.  Poor thing, I'd like to feel sorry for her - she really could use a stay at the Rushmore Sanitarium - but I just don't like her enough.  What on earth did Barnabas ever see in her?

Tate thinks the portrait he has painted is Quentin Collins, but I disagree.  There are no sharp edges in it.  Petofi seems satisfied with it, but I'm not sure what Petofi requires of it.  Anyway, I was thinking today: Petofi gave Tate his talent, but he didn't necessarily give him any accompanying artistic appreciation.

I was surprised when Charity reacted so strongly to the sight of Petofi.  I can't for the life of me remember what she had against him.  When Victor Fenn-Gibbons left Collinwood, he was still an honored guest.  What am I forgetting here?