Author Topic: This Seems Odd To Me  (Read 1219 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
This Seems Odd To Me
« on: December 07, 2005, 01:32:01 AM »
But then, this IS the Sci Fi Channel we're talking about.  [santa_undecided]

According to an article on Variety's Web site, the Sci Fi Channel is hoping to "conjure up" female viewers by running old episodes of Passions: Sci Fi Channel revives NBC U's used 'Passions'

You need to be a subscriber to the site to read the entire article, however, Sci Fi claims this isn't as odd as it might seem because they've already run DS.  [santa_huh]  Is it just me, or does Passions have about as much in common with DS as The Dukes of Hazzard has with Gunsmoke? And the really sad thing is that they think running Passions is a better fit for them than running DS again might be...

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
Re: This Seems Odd To Me
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2005, 02:18:17 AM »
And the really sad thing is that they think running Passions is a better fit for them than running DS again might be...
I'd guess the decision has far more to do with the fact that Passions is an NBC soap and SCI-FI is owned by NBC/Universal. That's why it's a good fit. The rest is just PR hype.

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Misa

• Full Poster
  • Is that you, Mr. Juggins?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2005, 03:09:39 AM »
Well why can't they run both Dark Shadows and Passions? Maybe because they figure that Dark Shadows would leave Passions in the dust? I wish they would put Dark Shadows on, and that they would run it in prime-time.

I'm not watching Sci-Fi channel until they put Dark Shadows on, of course, I don't have cable now because there really isn't anything on TV to watch. However, if there were a new Dark Shadows, or if some network were rerunning the original I would get cable.

Misa [santa_thumb]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2005, 03:12:33 AM »
Passions is an NBC soap and SCI-FI is owned by NBC/Universal. That's why it's a good fit.

That's right - I completely forgot about that (though don't ask me how because every time I go to Sci Fi's site I see promos for NBC shows [6184]). Now it makes perfect sense why they'd run it.  ::)

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2005, 01:28:24 AM »
Well, this is a slap in the face to both DS fans and to SoapNet.  First, we DS fans supported the Sci-Fi Channel from day one and this is how they repay us!  Also, SoapNet has been trying to get other current soaps on- it has DAYS and was trying to get PASSIONS and the CBS shows.  Well, with this development maybe SoapNet can opt to air the original (and best!) supernatural soap with one of the best fanbases ever!  Let's put DS on SoapNet and make the Sci-Fi Channel people look like fools!

Offline Ian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2005, 08:13:11 AM »
Here is a more...detailed article:

From the NBC Universal Media Village.

Surprised there was no mention of Passions being able to fit into SciFi since a "similar" gothic soap opera, our own beloved Dark Shadows, was aired on Sci-Fi through the 90s up until 2004. This makes me sad. Oh well, I still hope to get some of the DVDs for Christmas this year!  [8_2_73]

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2005, 02:30:38 PM »
i'm with you MB Passions is no DS [a_xmas] i really don't watch SciFi anymore and this won't make me run back to it!

jennifer  [8_2_74]
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV