Author Topic: "Looking Sharp on Today's Episode"  (Read 1617 times)

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
"Looking Sharp on Today's Episode"
« on: January 30, 2002, 12:39:47 AM »
Originally posted by Bob the Bartender on the Dark Shadows: General Discussion Forum on January 29, 2002 at 18:39:47:

Dear Dark Shadows Fans,

All I have to say that Roger was a walking example of sartorial splendor today. Attired in that matching brown check jacket and vest, with color coordinated olive slacks, I swear that Roger could have graced the cover of GQ Magazine.

I wish that Barnabas would follow his cousin's stylish example and wear more blazers and sports coats. I don't know, but with that same drab navy blue suit, Barnabas is starting to look like a cross between Richard M. Nixon and Steve McGarrett of Hawaii 5-0.

Perhaps the E-Channel should have Joan and Melissa Rivers do a fashion show on the fashion style (or lack of it) on Dark Shadows.

Sincerely,

Bob the Bartender, a proud graduate of that houte couture school, Raoul of Bayonne

Jean LaMantia

Re: Roger Collins Style
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2002, 11:53:09 AM »
Originally posted by Jean LaMantia on the Dark Shadows: General Discussion Forum on January 30, 2002 at 05:53:09:

Hi Bob,
I could not agree with you more on how stylish Roger Collins looked in yesterdays episode.
He looks right up to date in that outfit as if it were the year 2002.
He looked very GQ and he could easily have posed for any magazine today in that wonderful jacket and pants.
Thanks for taking notice rarely do we give credit to the men of Dark Shadows for their wardrobe and certainly it is about time.
Bravo Bob.......Right on the money!

Regards,
Jean LaMantia

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2002, 12:57:27 PM »
Posted by Steve on the Dark Shadows: General Discussion Forum on January 30, 2002 at 06:57:27:

Bob and Jean, I have to wonder whether Louis had some sort of clause in his contract that only HE could wear sharp, chic clothing on DS.

If you think what Barnabas is wearing now is bad, wait till you see the clothes they give poor Quentin to wear in PT 1970! There's an orange check jacket he winds up living in for about two months... I cry every time I think about it. (That reminds me of Grayson saying whenever she needed to cry, she just thought of this tie her Dad used to wear! LOL!)

Steve

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2002, 02:24:50 PM »
Originally posted by Bob the Bartender on the Dark Shadows: General Discussion Forum on January 30, 2002 at 08:24:50:

Dear Jean and Steve,

Thanks for the very kind words. Louis Edmonds always personified class, style, and good taste on and off of the Dark Shadows set.

I happened to meet Louis/Roger/Langley once at the Dark Shadows Festival held in 1999(?). Mr. Edmonds was walking towards me in the lobby of the hotel where the festival was being held. I gathered my courage, walked over to him, and managed to say, "Hello, Mr. Edmonds." To which, Louis deftly replied, "Hello, young man." YOUNG MAN!!! Louis evidently viewed me as being one of those Dark Shadows "kiddies," (as "Big Lou" was wont to call the life-long fans of Dark Shadows) who somehow still "looked" twelve-years-old after nearly thirty years! (Yeah, I wish!)

What a wonderful man, Mr. Edmonds was. His untimely passing was, yet, another reason to try and forget the terrible year of 2001. Let's hope that 2002 brings us all more happiness and good health.

Sincerely,

Bob the Bartender

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: "Looking Sharp on Today's Episode"
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2002, 03:19:24 PM »
Posted by CastleBee on January 30, 2002 at 09:19:24:
In Reply to: posted by Bob the Bartender on January 29, 2002 at 18:39:47:

I wish that Barnabas would follow his cousin's stylish example and wear more blazers and sports coats. I don't know, but with that same drab navy blue suit, Barnabas is starting to look like a cross between Richard M. Nixon and Steve McGarrett of Hawaii 5-0.

LOL! I see your point Bob - a little stiff looking. But I think sometimes it looks as though Barnabas was the victim of a bad dry cleaning service and his jacket is now about one size too small. Other times I think he's going for a modified early Beatles look with those suits.
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline VAM

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2002, 09:18:32 PM »
Originally posted by VAM on the Dark Shadows: General Discussion Forum on January 30, 2002 at 15:18:32:

Bob,

I have to agree with you about Louis Edmonds, who I describe as the gentle giant. Like you, I have some treasured memories from meeting him at the Festivals and the HODS Vista event. Mr. Edmonds had a wonderful smile!

VAM
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2002, 10:22:14 PM »
Posted by Bob the Bartender on January 30, 2002 at 16:22:14:
In Reply to: Re: posted by CastleBee on January 30, 2002 at 09:19:24:

Dear CastleBee,

I'll be thankful if we do NOT see friend Barnabas attired in a Nehru suit, you know, the kind that Johnny Carson used to wear on the "Tonight Show." Yuck!!!

Sincerely,

Bob the Bartender, who is looking forward to meeting you, CastleBeee, along with Gerard, Jean, Steve, Midnite, Ringo, Ben, ProfStokes, and the rest of the Dark Shadows gang in 2003!

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2002, 10:30:01 PM »
Originally posted by Bob the Bartender on the Dark Shadows: General Discussion Forum on January 30, 2002 at 16:30:01:

Steve,

I hear what you're saying about Quentin Collins' "unfortunate" selection of clothes during the PT 1970 season. Quentin looked like he was wearing hand-me-down suits from Hugh Hefner's cheesey show, "Playboy After Dark." Quentin's threads also kind of look like those tacky clothes which Playboy magazine features in its "back to college" issue each fall. For example, a garish blazer going for about $400.00 or a pair of "psychedelic" jeans for about $60.00(and I'm talking 1970!).

Bob the Bartender, who only shops at Filene's Basement.

Offline Ben

• Full Poster
  • That night must go ... nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2002, 12:04:07 AM »
Posted by Ben on January 30, 2002 at 18:04:07:
In Reply to: Re: "Looking Sharp on Today's Episode" posted by Bob the Bartender on January 30, 2002 at 16:22:14:

I think Barnabas' dreary and ultra-formal wardrobe effectively reinforced who he was: a gentleman raised in the refined, society culture of the 18th century, who is now forced to adapt not only to the 20th century, but to the turbulent changes defining the 1960s.

It appears that Barnabas had to emerge into modern society with little or no advice on fashion. He probably thought the Edwardian suits vaguely captured the spirit of a bygone century, and so he felt comfortable in them, even if the Collinsport Gentlemen's Shop didn't have his size (or wasn't open at night). I would have loved to hear Carolyn compliment him on his Beatlesque sense of fashion, and then see his bewildered reaction.

I'd give Barnabas more fashion points than Nixon, whom I found far more drab and un-stylish (even when he grew his hair and sideburns longer and adapted the "dry" look in the early '70s, in an effort to look "mod").

I'm always amused that Barnabas' least formal outfit is that lounging robe, which drapes over his shirt and tie and suit pants. It would be a stitch (no pun intended) to see him in pullover sweaters, turtlenecks, and jeans (bellbottoms, of course). I mean, does he really have to stay dressed up while lying in his coffin? And even if he updates most of his wardrobe, I don't think he'll ever part with that cape.

Bob the Bartender, who is looking forward to meeting you, CastleBeee, along with Gerard, Jean, Steve, Midnite, Ringo, Ben, ProfStokes, and the rest of the Dark Shadows gang in 2003!

Thanks for mentioning me, Bob, but do you really mean 2003? I'm sure we'd all love to see you at the Fest this year.

Ben

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2002, 02:38:49 AM »
Posted by Bob the Bartender on January 30, 2002 at 20:38:49:
In Reply to: Re: posted by Ben on January 30, 2002 at 18:04:07:

Ben,

I think that, unfortunately, I'm at the beginning stages of Alzheimer's Disease. I dare not tell you who I voted for "shortly" after Dark Shadows ceased production. (Hint: He played the piano and was magna cum laude when he graduated from Duke University School of Law.) Do you think that Peter Bradford spent anytime in law school before he acted as Miss Vicky's defense counsel?

One of my friends had a bumper sticker on his car while he suffered through law school: Question:"Is There Life During Law School? Answer: No!!!"

The GMAT's were bad enough. I could never endure the agony of the LSAT's. Word Games, Reading Comp., and Analytical Reasoning. Ugh! Give me math problems any day!

Bob the Bartender, who still has nightmares concerning Stanley Kaplan.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2008, 07:22:50 AM »
(That reminds me of Grayson saying whenever she needed to cry, she just thought of this tie her Dad used to wear! LOL!)

LOL  I hadn't heard that story either. Thanks for sharing it Gothick.  I know these are old posts but I am having a blast pouring through them!!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/