Author Topic: Depp to play John Dillinger?  (Read 1239 times)

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Depp to play John Dillinger?
« on: December 05, 2007, 12:42:25 AM »
If this is going to happen I have no idea if the DS movie will ever be made.

http://movies.ign.com/articles/839/839412p1.html

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Depp to play John Dillinger?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 03:04:38 AM »
I don't really see one way or the other why it should affect the DS film. It seems like the Dillinger film already has a completed script and is ready to go into production. The other two films Depp had in the pipeline before DS are stalled due to the writers' strike, so, if he chooses to do Dillinger, he would simply be doing it instead of sitting around doing nothing.

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 03:37:27 AM »
I agree with Mysterious Benefactor- there will be no impact on DS, as it's still in early stages of production.  Today is the first I've heard of the Dillinger project; I have mixed feelings about it myself, but if Johnny is interested in it, he may as well do it while he has an open "slot" in his schedule.  I heard in another article that it would begin filming in March, so it would probably be done by summer.  We'll see!

Cathy

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 10:19:56 PM »
Apparently it's now a done deal: Johnny Depp Will Make 'Public Enemies'

The film is being termed "a film of convenience" for both Depp and director Michael Mann.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 02:36:40 AM »
Apparently it's now a done deal: (URL)

The film is being termed "a film of convenience" for both Depp and director Michael Mann.

Jesus...."Pirates of the Caribbean" meets "Miami Vice"....... [santa_rolleyes]
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 08:27:37 PM »
I guess what I was trying to convey with my post is that the DS movie will be pushed even further back based on the writer's strike and Depp filming Public Enemies. I believe Depp was to start filming Shantarum in January 2008 and that was suppose to be a 4-6 month shoot; then Depp was to start filming The Rum Diary. So if the writer's strike is over by 12-31-07, Depp starts shooting PE in March. I am not sure how this will all play out but I hope we hear some DS movie news by the time next year's Fest is held.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2007, 05:00:54 AM »
A miracle could happen, but most insiders feel an end to the writers' strike by year's end is wishful thinking - especially considering how this week's latest round of negotiations have collapsed in even more intense animosity than before. But even if that miracle were to happen - or if even a settlement were to be reached sometime in the early new year - the potential is still looming for an actors and/or directors strike when their contracts expire in June '08. So, to me it seems like Depp made a smart decision for himself to take on Public Enemies rather than to sit around doing nothing  - and potentially to be doing nothing for quite some time to come. And barring that miracle, I don't see where taking it on should affect the development/production of the DS film at all when the other circumstances in Hollywood these days are factored in. Even without Public Enemies in the mix, heavens only knows when Shantarum and The Rum Diary might get made...