Author Topic: When do you watch / How many?  (Read 4343 times)

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
Re: When do you watch / How many?
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2005, 07:19:04 PM »
i don't watch during the day and i don't watch during the week.when i get a new video or dvd i save it to watch over the weekend.then i watch at night.sometimes till all hours.i just like it better at night.

when i was watching on video i'd usually watch the five episodes then stop.now that i've switched to the dvd format it's easier to just keep watching.it was taking me forever to get through the show on video.over three years just to get to the final vicki episodes.i upgraded to the dvd format with the start of the quentin storyline.i'm glad i did because the 1897 storyline lasts for so long i didn't want to spend a year watching it.

my "game plan" is to watch through the 1970 present time episodes.then decide what favorite storylines to go back and re-watch.i might just start from the beginning again.for whatever reason the 1840/41pt episodes don't interest me much.

as for the dvd's they are expensive but are actually cheaper on a per-episode basis.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2005, 10:10:36 PM »
But since this past June 27th, I'm regularly watching three or four (a few times only two) episodes a day (depending on how many originally aired on a given date) from five different storylines.

You're watching up to 20 episodes a day? That's amazing!

Oops - what I wrote did sort of give that impression - sorry. What I meant is that I'm watching four, three or sometimes only two episodes a day, based on how many episodes originally aired on that date, and that they're not consecutive episodes but taken from five different storylines. For example, today I'm watching Eps #366 from 1967 (1795, actuallly ;)), #628 from 1968, #889 from 1969, and #1150 from 1970 (actually 1840). No episode was aired on this date in 1966 because November 20th was a Sunday - but tomorrow I'll be watching Ep #106 from 1966, along with Eps #367 from 1967, #629 from 1968, and #890 from 1969, with no episode from 1970 because November 21st was a Saturday.  :)

Offline Amy Jennings Fan

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2005, 10:47:20 PM »
I watch a complete disc (10 episodes) in the afternoon.
No Jesus, no peace. Know jesus ,know peace.

Offline Misa

• Full Poster
  • Is that you, Mr. Juggins?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2005, 03:54:38 AM »
Oops - what I wrote did sort of give that impression - sorry. What I meant is that I'm watching four, three or sometimes only two episodes a day, based on how many episodes originally aired on that date, and that they're not consecutive episodes but taken from five different storylines. For example, today I'm watching Eps #366 from 1967 (1795, actuallly ;)), #628 from 1968, #889 from 1969, and #1150 from 1970 (actually 1840). No episode was aired on this date in 1966 because November 20th was a Sunday - but tomorrow I'll be watching Ep #106 from 1966, along with Eps #367 from 1967, #629 from 1968, and #890 from 1969, with no episode from 1970 because November 21st was a Saturday.  :)

I understood what you meant, and this does sound like an interesting way to watch the episodes. So far I only have the first DVD, but I have lots of the episodes recorded that I can watch. I want to get a night set up to watch DVD's with friends because I think that would be the most fun.
Misa

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2005, 04:28:45 PM »
It varies for me, right now I'm buying, or should I say, have bought all the DVD's boxsets that are available (1-20, have 21 on order) and am currently on volume 10.  I watch whenever the mood strikes me really, but will try to get through all 21 boxsets by the end of the year so that I'm caught up by January when 22 comes out.  Then once I'm caught up and 22 comes out, I'll try and get through it in a couple weeks lest there are any problems and I have to return to the store for a replacement copy.  I was fortunate to get volumes 5-21 at "cost" as I work part-time at a video store and my manager lets me have them for what the company paid for them, $40.  It's a sweet deal, but the store is closing at the end of the year, which is why I bought up the other volumes available to save some bucks.  Once I'm back at Best Buy getting them I'll be paying $60 again.   :'(

Anyway, I've digressed, once I have all 1225 eps on DVD, I'll watch an ep a day.   8)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2005, 08:55:52 PM »
Once I'm back at Best Buy getting them I'll be paying $60 again.

Hmmm - the Best Buys around here sell them for $45.99 - though if you buy them through their Web site, they're $52.99 (plus shipping). Go figure.  ::)

However, you can get them much cheaper online by buying through sites like Amazon or Deep Discount DVD. For instance, DDD was just having a sale recently and I bought set 20 for a friend for Christmas and it only cost me $31.67 - and I got free shipping to boot.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2005, 10:29:04 PM »
Hmmm - the Best Buys around here sell them for $45.99 - though if you buy them through their Web site, they're $52.99 (plus shipping). Go figure.  ::)

However, you can get them much cheaper online by buying through sites like Amazon or Deep Discount DVD. For instance, DDD was just having a sale recently and I bought set 20 for a friend for Christmas and it only cost me $31.67 - and I got free shipping to boot.

Hmmm, very true MB, I could, now that I'm caught up, pre-order them from Amazon!  Thanks for the tip! ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2005, 07:32:10 AM »
I watch a complete DVD (20 episodes) in the afternoon.

I felt reluctant to say, but you might have me beat.    Jusr barely.   Well, I think these things aren't much over 20 minutes long for some reason.     They were able to sell a lot of commercial time, I guess.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Willie

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2005, 05:50:21 PM »
I used to watch them in the morning when they were on the Sci-Fi Channel (back in my college days).  I actually found that very enjoyable.  Now we watch them in the evening, since I'm buying them on DVD.  I started with set 5 (the 1795 episodes were always my favorite), and now we're up to set 12.  I'm REALLY looking forward to the 1897 flashback, coming in set 13.  We watch 2 episodes a night. 

Somebody else mentioned watching them during a thunderstorm, while a thunderstorm was taking place on screen as well.  That happened to us once as well - I loved it!

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2005, 02:53:40 AM »
For a long time, I watched them really late at night before I went to bed. I liked doing that, but now that I go to bed earlier I don't watch them before bed as often as I did.

It is fun to watch them during a storm, but I've only done that a couple of times since I usually watch my dvds on my computer, and I always have the computer off when it storms (one time I didn't and it got fried).

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2005, 07:42:26 AM »
I don't have any sort of pattern.  I can go weeks and weeks and never watch (get tired of it).
When the mood slugs me, I have it on late in the evening while I'm doing something else.  Can't just sit in front of the TV and watch.  I'll put it on while doing something like sewing, or needlepoint, or knitting, and put headphones on.  I REALLY like having the headphones on -- it's more intimate and you can hear a lot more -- nuance, studio noise, etc.

It was fun when it was running on Sci Fi 'cause it would tape in the morning, then later that evening my daughter and I would watch together.  That was nice.

;D
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2005, 09:32:12 AM »
I REALLY like having the headphones on -- it's more intimate and you can hear a lot more -- nuance, studio noise, etc.

That's a good idea - I'm gonna try that!
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2005, 10:47:07 AM »
I watch DS on an irregular basis.  But when I DO watch, I can't  just watch ONE episode - I watch at least two at once.  ;)  I watch at all times of the day and night - whenever the mood strikes me.  It makes me angry when I fall asleep watching it too late at night, though!  ::) I usually watch more episodes on my days off from work, of course.  :D

I started watching DS FROM THE BEGINNING back in January, 2004.  I bought videos of the remainder of episodes left from the run on Sci-Fi, and then I bought the episodes starting from Episode #1 .  When I got to the Barnabas storyline, I started buying the DVD's.  Tonight, I just watched  Episode #757.  I am fully ensconced in the 1897 storyline (my favorite!) now. [cheer]  It was thrilling to watch the pre-Barnabas episodes - I had never seen them before last year!  [cheesyg]  I am now on DVD Set #14, and have up to Set #19.  Once I get to Set #19, I will buy the remainder of DVD's that are available at that time.

I have found that it's easier to watch several episodes per sitting when I watch the DVD's.   That's because each disc from a DVD set has 10 episodes on it, and there are only 5 episodes per video tape.  Another good thing about the DVD's is they take up less space!  [clap] I also am watching it more often now because the storyline is so exciting, I don't want to wait very long to see the next episode!  [winkg]

------ Sally ------
[/color]
[coolg] 8)

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline I Ching

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2005, 09:36:17 PM »
I watch one episode per day.  I watch the episode on the date that it originally aired, of course, some 36 years later.  This puts me in the 1969 storyline right now.  It's the closest I could come to reliving my childhood.  :) 
Hexagram # 51 - Chen (symbolizes the decisive moment when change is recognized)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2005, 10:16:09 PM »
Great to see you posting, katsfan!