Poll

Which of the following best describes Maggie's personality during the following period of Dark Shadows: During the Dream Curse/Adam storylines, but before she became governess of Collinwood?

Very mature. Grownup beyond her years.
0 (0%)
Clearly definable as mature.
3 (25%)
Slightly, but not significantly, on the mature side.
7 (58.3%)
Slightly, but not significantly, on the immature side.
0 (0%)
Clearly definable as immature.
0 (0%)
Very immature. Childish for a woman her age.
1 (8.3%)
I do not wish to opine.
1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: December 15, 2005, 01:55:52 AM

Author Topic: Middle period (?) Maggie's personality.  (Read 1359 times)

Offline TNickey2003

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Middle period (?) Maggie's personality.
« on: November 14, 2005, 11:53:28 PM »
I started this poll in response to thoughts raised in my other poll which is posted in 'current poll' e about the gamut of contrasting character traits Maggie throughout the series, starting with her waitress days and ending during the time she was governess of Collinwood.

I decided to narrow this particular poll down to the period when in the minds of many, Maggie would still be considered Maggie: BEFORE the time she was as many feel, just another Vicki , but AFTER the time period covering the events of her being kidnapped by Barnabas, escaping from captivity, going to Wyndcliff, escaping from there, having the memory of those events erased by Julia Hoffman.

Specifically, the period I'm thinking of here covers episodes 478 to 652: The time period when Maggie is fully recovered from her experiences and out of danger, up to the time Elizabeth Collins Stoddard makes her very short notice request to Maggie to become governess of Collinwood after Vicki's disappearance.
Alex adores Maggie Evans

Offline Willie

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: Middle period (?) Maggie's personality.
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2005, 03:41:44 PM »
I went with slightly mature.  She seemed to handle her father's death pretty well, and she never had any real money problems (though I don't seem to remember her having a job).  She handled Joe pretty well, being very patient and tolerant of his little problem, but finally letting go when it was obviously hopeless.  At one point she was going to leave Collinsport and go to Boston or someplace - I guess it takes some maturity to say goodbye to your lifelong home and venture out to someplace unknown.  On the other hand, she was a bit immature in not seeing Nicolas Blair as the manipulative smooth operator he was.  And she was almost always bubbly.  That was my favorite thing about Maggie, always cheerful and ready to laugh.  But I guess that's not exactly what one means by "mature".  Of course, I'm not at all a fan of maturity, I usually relate it to people who are boring, humorless, and have a large stock portfolio.

So yeah, rather mature, but not overboard. 

Offline Misa

• Full Poster
  • Is that you, Mr. Juggins?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2005, 05:22:22 PM »
Because I haven't seen much of this storyline I chose not to give an opinion. I hope to see more Dark Shadows soon, including this storyline.

Misa

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2005, 02:36:15 AM »
like most of the original characters i thought maggie was a bit ill-defined and all-over-the-place during this "middle period" on the show.

there were storylines that never really went anywhere:the business with josette's earings.then the whole thing with maggie being trapped in the mausoleum and remembering the events of the previous year.she convieniently 'forgets' all of it should it interfere with the rest of the storyline.i never bought the maggie and nicholas plot either.it came out of nowhere and i think was thrown in just to give kls something to do.

funny but all of our girls were using really bad judgement when it came to men during this period.maggie with nicholas,carolyn with adam and vicki with jeff.not a one worthy of them!

at the same time i still have a fondness for maggie during this period because it's sort of the last time she's really 'maggie' before she becomes 'magtoria'(tm.mabelique). :P
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2005, 04:53:41 AM »
She definitely gave Joe more chances than what was reasonable considering his behavior (she suspected he was cheating, and in a way he was).  I buy the Nicholas Blair thing since she was definitely on the rebound and Nicholas represented a man who showed that he was attracted to her and supported her emotionally during this very trying time.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2005, 03:51:06 PM »
She definitely gave Joe more chances than what was reasonable considering his behavior (she suspected he was cheating, and in a way he was).  I buy the Nicholas Blair thing since she was definitely on the rebound and Nicholas represented a man who showed that he was attracted to her and supported her emotionally during this very trying time.

*Totally* agree with this!  Nicholas was very charming and most importanly, ATTENTIVE to her when Joe was being all wacky because of Angelique.  He also was sympthetic to her anguish regarding her wayward finance.  Add to this the fact that he was handsome, debonair, worldly and seemingly wealthy.  What more could a simple girl from a poor fishing village want?   :D
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2005, 04:34:57 PM »
like most of the original characters i thought maggie was a bit ill-defined and all-over-the-place during this "middle period" on the show.

That's how I feel about Maggie during this period of the show too. They just didn't really know what to do with her.

I didn't get into her involvement with Nicholas Blair. I didn't really get why he suddenly had feelings for her, and I don't really think she would've so quickly accepted his proposal of marriage. I can understand why she enjoyed his company because of what was going on with Joe, but the whole thing moved too fast (with her), and came out of nowhere (with him). And since this took place during the Adam/Eve saga...my interest in it really wasn't all that high.

I'm torn between slightly mature (letting go of Joe after the constant problems), and slightly immature (agreeing to marry Nicholas so quickly right after the problems with Joe).

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2005, 06:27:25 PM »

I didn't get into her involvement with Nicholas Blair. I didn't really get why he suddenly had feelings for her

Ah but this is what makes DS so *interesting*!  The fact that ALL of the supernatural creatures fall for humans--Angelique for Barnabas, Nicholas for Maggie, Adam for Carolyn, Chris for Carolyn & Sabrina, Jeb for Carolyn.  Hell, even Judah in a way, for Miranda who I *think* was mortal wasn't she?  You can't tell me he wasn't at least obsessed w/her.  ;)  These humans were ultimately the downfall of every creature too!  To quote Mr. Spock--FASCINATING!   8)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Amy Jennings Fan

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2005, 06:32:06 AM »
Slightly, but not significantly, on the mature side.
No Jesus, no peace. Know jesus ,know peace.