Poll

Which of the following present time DS women can be characterized as IMmature in personality?

Elizabeth Collins Stoddard.
Carolyn Stoddard Hawkes.
Victoria Winters Clark.
Maggie Evans.
Julia Hoffman.
Cassandra.
Eve
Megan Todd
Angelique Rumson
Olivia Corey
Roxanne Drew
Sarah Johnson
Daphne Harridge
Madame Janet Findley

Author Topic: DS women of present time.  (Read 2554 times)

Offline TNickey2003

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
DS women of present time.
« on: November 12, 2005, 08:07:30 PM »
For other DS present time women you feel are IMmature that I didn't include on the list, please opine in group message posts.

Happy voting :)
Alex adores Maggie Evans

Offline Amy Jennings Fan

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: DS women of present time.
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2005, 11:08:13 PM »
Carolyn Stoddard Hawkes
No Jesus, no peace. Know jesus ,know peace.

Offline Misa

• Full Poster
  • Is that you, Mr. Juggins?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2005, 07:52:30 PM »
Victoria Winters Clark was the most immature woman IMO, all she did was whine about Jeff. She wasn't this self-centered when poor Burke supposedly died in that plane crash. She completely forgot about poor old Burke.

Of course the new actress playing Vicki didn't help, but she was responsible for the children, she should have got some therapy and gotten on with her life. If she thought that the only way she would be with Jeff again was to die, she should have been able to live her life to the fullest. After all everyone dies, so after she lived her life and died she would have been with Jeff, right? So what was the hurry?

Misa

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2005, 09:48:41 PM »
Victoria Winters Clark was the most immature woman IMO....... .......

I'm not sure I understand what you think Vicki should have done: are you criticizing her for mourning Jeff at the same time you are criticizing her for NOT mourning Burke?

Coming to terms with the death of a dearly loved one is about as indivdual a journey as any of us ever take.  There's no one right way to handle it, and as long as it is not self-destructive, no one else has the right to criticize.  Actually, I can't imagine any woman who was mourning the loss of a man she loved giving a damn what anyone thought, much less altering her way of mourning to suit others.

If only it was as simple as "getting some therapy and getting on with her life".
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Misa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2005, 11:58:43 PM »
I didn't mean to imply that Vicki shouldn't have mourned Jeff's death that would have been totally inhuman. I just meant that the way they wrote her, and the way the actress played her was whiny.

They wrote that she loved Burke, and this was played out so that you believed that they were very much in love. Vicki didn't get all whiny when she believed that Burke died, in fact they hardly had her mourn him at all (a mistake). The writers made it seem that she completely forgot all about him.

By making her get over Burke so quickly, then having her fall in love with Jeff, then when she loses him have her mourn him in such a self-destructive way. She just didn't seem like Vicki (and it makes you wonder why she never mourned for Burke even more). I have known people who have lost those they love, they never seemed to become as self absorbed as Vicki does, they still were concerned about the other people in their lifes. Yes, it takes time to get over the loss of a loved one. but if Vicki was this distraught why didn't anyone try and get her some help, especially after she tried to kill herself. The 60s were a time when people went to see psychiatrists, and got put on valium. You'd think they might have even sent her to Wyndcliff.

Then again, maybe Dan Curtis wanted the viewers to be glad when Vicki leaves and that's why she was written and played in this way. Also, perhaps if they had been able to finish this storyline with the original Vicki, it would have played better.

Misa

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2005, 02:30:20 AM »
They wrote that she loved Burke, and this was played out so that you believed that they were very much in love. Vicki didn't get all whiny when she believed that Burke died, in fact they hardly had her mourn him at all (a mistake). The writers made it seem that she completely forgot all about him.

Actually, that's not quite true. For one, Vicki didn't completely believe that Burke had died - not even after Liz told her that all 16 bodies had been recovered from the plane crash. And for another, even though she doesn't fully accept his death, Vicki continues to grieve for him into the 1795 flashback. Beginning with Ep #345, we see her initial grieving right after the plane crash. Vicki then goes off with David to Boston so that each may have some respite from the goings on in their lives, but when she returns in Ep #364, we see that her grieving process, or actually the avoidance thereof, continues when she refuses to fully accept Burke's death even after the 16 bodies have been discovered. And then after Vicki has travelled back to 1795, she looks upon her initial weeks there as a sort of dream - a dream which she's almost happy to be having because it's a diversion from her having to deal with Burke - and she comes right out and says as much to Jeremiah in today's Ep #370. By the time that Vicki meets up with Peter and begins to fall in love with him, for her it has already been almost four months since the plane crash. Even though we don't see her transition completely play out on screen, apparently by then Vicki has learned to accept Burke's death and she's ready to move on. (Not to mention she's in dire need of Peter's help, which is a deeply bonding experience in and of itself.)

Offline Misa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2005, 10:51:06 PM »
I guess you're right she did not truly accept Burke's death. And maybe because I just didn't like the way Vicki was played, or Jeff for that matter is why this whiny stuff bothered me so much.

I wonder what would have happened if Burke would have shown up during the 1968 love story between Jeff and Vicki?

Misa

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2005, 11:09:09 PM »
I just didn't like the way Vicki was played, or Jeff for that matter

You'd be a strange person indeed if Jeff didn't bother you.  [lghy]

I wonder what would have happened if Burke would have shown up during the 1968 love story between Jeff and Vicki?

If only we had been so lucky. I strongly suspect that Burke might have wiped the floor with Jeff and run him out of town faster than Jeff would have known what hit him!  [b003]

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2005, 12:27:49 AM »
I would've loved to have seen that. :)

I didn't like Vicki and Jeff's relationship to begin with, so when he disappeared into the past and she was miserable, it was hard for me to feel anything for them.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2005, 01:46:42 AM »
for me one of the show's most moving scenes actually does involve vicki's reaction the burke's death.

shortly after liz receives news of the plane crash she has a scene with vicki and mrs.johnson.vicki is going on about the planned renovations to the part of the house that she and burke will be living in and how happy liz has made her with the offer to allow them to live there.liz is nearly unable to deliver the bad news and when she does vicki faints as i recall.

later vicki encounters barnabas on widow's hill and there it's obvious how deeply she was affected by this tragedy. :'(

after 1795 jeff was barnabas' rival for vicki's affections.i don't know how they would have worked burke into the storyline here at all.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2005, 02:50:13 AM »
I wish they had left Peter in the past and had Burke re-appear instead of bringing Jeff into the mix. But then, they probably didn't feel Burke would go with the direction they were taking the show in. I think it would've been far more interesting though.

mscbryk - I remember those scenes and I thought they were well done, especially when Elizabeth and Mrs. Johnson find out and then have to tell Vicki. It's funny because I'm not a huge Burke fan, but I missed the character when he was gone.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2005, 03:14:04 AM »
I'm not a huge Burke fan, but I missed the character when he was gone.

Out of curiosity, since Anthony George's contract was up, would you have still wished for Burke to return if it meant a new (3rd) actor would be playing him?

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2005, 03:29:26 AM »
how long was anthony george's contract for?

it seemed like he was on the show for less than a year.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2005, 03:44:17 AM »
Out of curiosity, since Anthony George's contract was up, would you have still wished for Burke to return if it meant a new (3rd) actor would be playing him?

Honestly, I'm not sure. I'm not too big on recasts, especially multiple recasts like what would be the case for Burke. I suppose it would depend on who they got for the role. For example, I liked Carolyn Groves as Vicki much better than Betsy Durkin. I could've possibly warmed up to Groves as Vicki, which never would've been the case for Durkin. But Vicki's almost an impossible character to recast because she was such a major, major character. Of course, Burke was a major player in the beginning, but for some reason the transition wasn't too bad for me when they went from Ryan to George, though I liked Ryan. I'm not sure why.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2005, 05:16:49 AM »
how long was anthony george's contract for?

Six months