Author Topic: Vampires at the Superbowl  (Read 761 times)

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Vampires at the Superbowl
« on: January 31, 2012, 01:40:31 AM »
An audi car commercial featuring vampires. The genre is hot so why not cash in on the vampire craze-something WB should also have been thinking of.

http://www.horror-movies.ca/2012/01/audi-has-a-solution-to-your-vampire-problem/

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Vampires at the Superbowl
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 02:22:16 AM »
If a segment they did on Extra tonight can be believed, Audi's commercial is actually a not so subtle dig against the current popularity of vampires and Audi's hope that it ends sooner rather than later. Not exactly a sentiment we or millions of other vampire fans can get behind...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 05:29:03 AM »
Two opinions:

Super Bowl 2012: Audi kills the vampire craze with their game day ad
(Those following The Vampire Diaries links in that show's topic will recognize the person who wrote this as Zap2It's TVD correspondent.)

Worst of Super Bowl 2012 ads: Audi's vampires, GoDaddy, Bud Light and more

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 04:31:02 PM »
I didn't see either of these 2 Zap2it articles, but I loved the commercial.  I thought it was more of a dig on the current craze of "hip" vampires- you know, the ones that sparkle (and are popular and love to party, as shown in the ad), as opposed to the traditional genre per se.  But then, maybe I'm just an optimist :)

I did take a peek at Audi's Facebook page this morning, hoping to see the ad posted there so I could "share" it with friends, but they only had a photo.  To my surprise, the vast majority of actual Audi fans hated the commercial- they felt it trivialized Audi and that they should stick to selling the car in a more traditional way instead of a gimmick like the headlights.  So that is another take entirely that I hadn't considered.  At any rate, I thought it was hilarious, one of my favorites of the evening.  (The Doritos dead cat one and the one with the boy who had to pee... not so much   [snow_rolleyes]  )  To each, their own!

(Still sad they couldn't have had a DS trailer ready, though  [snow_cry]  )

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 05:01:36 PM »
I thought the commercial was ok. I didn't dislike it. Apparently the movie studio SB commercials were not a big hit with the viewers. http://www.deadline.com/2012/02/tivo-hollywoods-super-bowl-ads-low-ranked-by-viewers/

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 05:31:50 PM »
Apparently the movie studio SB commercials were not a big hit with the viewers.

Which is what that other article you had shared had said was the case with past Super Bowls, so in all likelihood that's exactly why Warner Brothers didn't waste their money promoting any of their films during the Super Bowl.

Because it will be going head-to-head with DS, it was somewhat discouraging to see that Paramount’s The Dictator was the highest ranked film trailer. Though at least it was only ranked 24th...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 01:54:47 AM »
It's nice to see that not everyone wants vampires to go away. As part of the following review of the DVD/Blu-ray for HIGANJIMA: ESCAPE FROM VAMPIRE ISLAND (a review that also happens to reference DS), Fangoria's Thom Carnell rightfully points out that "Anyone who knows anything about horror movies knows one thing: Vampires are cool."  [snow_wink]

“HIGANJIMA: ESCAPE FROM VAMPIRE ISLAND” (Blu-ray/DVD Review)