Author Topic: DS Boards "Offline" ??  (Read 1779 times)

Offline ShadowsAtlanta

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
DS Boards "Offline" ??
« on: July 17, 2002, 04:38:06 PM »
Whenever I try to enter this site at the main address (dsboards.com), I keep getting a message saying "Sorry, Currently Offline".  The DS script and graphics are at the top of the page as usual, but it won't allow me to navigate anywhere on the site.  In order to actually get in, I have to go directly to the forums by typing in extra characters, which I pulled from my history files.  Wonder why this is happening?

Joe

Offline ShadowsAtlanta

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: DS Boards "Offline" ??
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2002, 04:40:29 PM »
I would also add that I've been having this problem for at least a week now.  I wonder if there are people trying to get onto the system who think it is unavailable?   :-[

Thanks,
    Joe

Offline Bette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • Quentin, you have no future.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2002, 06:37:37 PM »
I would also add that I've been having this problem for at least a week now.  I wonder if there are people trying to get onto the system who think it is unavailable?   :-[

Joe,

That started happening to me after the Board went down a little over a week ago.  I kept getting that off line message and did not know the Board was actually back online until I decided to try the "reload/refresh" button, and voila, I was back in business. I'm sure that MB can explain that it has something to do with your cache. So now, whenever that happens, I know what button to hit to get the Board back. :)

Bette
Life works if you let it

Offline ShadowsAtlanta

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2002, 06:42:38 PM »
Thanks Bette, but I just tried refreshing the main screen -- twice -- and still had the same problem.  Wonder if it was just fixed temporarily?

Joe

Offline Maria_Merriweather

• Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2002, 08:38:21 PM »
Since about 7-5 I have been getting the"DS Boards is currently offline " message.  I did think the board was  down.  Then last night I set my browser on Lycos and typed in Dark  Shadows  Forums  and was able to get back to the board.  ;D

MM

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2002, 10:08:04 PM »
Whenever I try to enter this site at the main address (dsboards.com), I keep getting a message saying "Sorry, Currently Offline".  The DS script and graphics are at the top of the page as usual, but it won't allow me to navigate anywhere on the site.  In order to actually get in, I have to go directly to the forums by typing in extra characters, which I pulled from my history files.  Wonder why this is happening?

Joe, are you using Internet Explorer. If so, an annoying feature of IE requires users to clear its cache if I take the forum offline, which I did about two weeks ago to install an upgrade. You (and anyone else who've experienced this problem) probably tried to access the forum during that time, so now every time you try to come here you're getting the page stored in IE's cache rather than the actual site! (And some people wonder why I'd like nothing better than to see Microsoft ground into dust and swept away by the wind?! [lghy])

If you clear IE's cache, that will fix the problem. To do this, first click on "Tools" in the top menu bar. On the drop-down menu, click on "Internet Options". Once that window comes up, in the middle box labeled "Temporary Internet files", click on "Delete Files". And after the confirmation window comes up, check the box labeled "Delete all offline content" and then click "OK". Click "OK" at the bottom of the "Internet Options" window, and you'll be back in business. [thumb]

So, when you see the Temporarily Offline page displayed sometime in the future, I'll probably be doing another upgrade. But when you try to come back the next time after that, if you clear your cache first and still see the page, it'll mean the upgrade is probably still going on, but most likely you'll be able to get right back into the forum. ;)

I hope this helps. :)

Offline ShadowsAtlanta

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2002, 11:45:13 PM »
Yep, I do use IE.  Thanks for the info, and I've learned something new today!  

Joe

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2002, 09:22:36 PM »
If you clear IE's cache, that will fix the problem. To do this, first click on "Tools" in the top menu bar. On the drop-down menu, click on "Internet Options".

I probably should have mentioned that if someone is using AOL, the procedure to get to the "Internet Options" window is a little different. With AOL 5.0 or later, users first click on "Settings" (the aqua-marine colored box in the the second menu bar). Once the drop down menu appears, click on "Preferences". And after that window appears, click on "Internet Properties (WWW):" (the 4th link down on the left). Then just follow the same instructions:

Once that window comes up, in the middle box labeled "Temporary Internet files", click on "Delete Files". And after the confirmation window comes up, check the box labeled "Delete all offline content" and then click "OK". Click "OK" at the bottom of the "Internet Options" window, and you'll be back in business. [thumb]

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re:DS Boards "Offline" ??
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2003, 01:35:50 AM »
Well MB...I just followed your instructions....let's hope  I can get back in.

thanks,

[glow=pink 2,5]Patti[/glow]
What a Woman!

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2003, 02:03:55 AM »
Well, I left the board (no no no logging out!) and happy to say, after cleaning my cookies, am back on.

Thanks again.
What a Woman!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2003, 02:08:00 AM »
[glow=2,4]Patti[/glow]

Try this
Code: [Select]