Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0001  (Read 638 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0001
« on: September 18, 2019, 05:34:20 PM »
Robservations #1

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Discuss Ep #0001

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
Re: Discuss - Ep #0001
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2019, 04:30:28 PM »
During my recent rewatch earlier this year, I started from the release of Barnabas. I very rarely have watched the first 200 or so episodes all the way through because I've always found them kind of boring overall. I even struggle to get through early Barnabas, when he kidnaps Maggie, because it is so repetitive.

Anyhow, I decided after finishing episode 1245 to go back and watch the first couple of episodes, starting with episode 1. I was surprised to enjoy it as much as I did. I had forgotten how atmospheric it is and how it really sets up everything that is to come later in terms of gothic tone. Obviously we have seen the iconic shots of a Vicki on the train repetitively at this point, with multiple remakes having occurred. But something about the original always gets me.

I was also surprised to recognize Elizabeth Wilson as the director of Vicki's foundling home. I had no idea this was who played her, and she was easily recognizable from one of my favorite movies of the early 90s--The Addams Family.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2019, 02:50:30 AM »
I wonder about the first two takes. How far did they get before they were scrapped. All the exterior footage had to be edited in so it would seem they could edit the scenes also. Perhaps they rewrote. All the extras are nice. I forgot we see the car driver bring in the bags to the hotel.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2020, 04:34:50 AM »
I watched this today and fell back in love with the show. This is my favorite episode. I love EVERYTHING about it. I think Alexandra gives the most even performance of the big four in this episode. And she looks darling. I'm completely taken in by her and I already want to stick around to see who her parents eventually turn out to be. I can't imagine anyone else in the role. I absolutely love the back and forth between Liz and Roger. My housemate commented that there is a lot of yelling on this show, lol. I dig all the outdoor footage and how much more real it makes everything seem. And so many great lines, too many to mention. If I had to pick one to quote it would be Burke's to Vicki: "Welcome to the beginning and the end of the world, Miss Winters." Knowing Vicki's fate makes it so poignant. It gets me everytime. Another highlight for me is Vicki's flashbacks.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2020, 06:18:00 PM »
I have to wonder why Vicki's presence is such a threat to Roger. If he'd broken the glass in anger that would have been easier to swallow. But I detected fear.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2020, 06:49:16 PM »
[pointing-up]  You know, I've never wondered about that and it's a really good question that we all should have been asking because Roger definitely reacted in fear. Off of the top of my head I don't have an answer. But it's an excellent question. Later, after Roger learns Vicki arrived on the train with Burke, his fear of Vicki's presence at Collinwood makes more sense because he fears they may be in cahoots. But at the point he breaks the glass he has no idea about the Burke connection...