Author Topic: Which Burke?  (Read 4351 times)

Offline DUBA527

• View Profile
Re:Which Burke?
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2004, 06:00:52 AM »
I thought Mitch made the better Burke...when Anthony George's Burke kissed Vicky it looked kinda creepy! On the other hand I did like the way George played Jeremiah.
John

Offline coterie-mc

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Dark Shadows Collectiables
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2004, 07:40:01 AM »
just gonna echo "the ghost of sarah" on this, i thought Mitch Ryan was the better Burke, as is  Anthony George played Jeremiah very well. would have been something to see if M.R. went up against adam.  i never noticed how M.R.  entered a room without knocking, will have to re-watch my earlier tapes.  -robert

Offline DarkShadowyFigure

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2004, 06:10:55 PM »
Maybe it was because he had the role first or maybe because he just looked right for the part, but I think Mitch was the best Burke.  Mitch's Burke was just the right kind of brash, I thought, while Anthony's Burke wasn't assertive enough (though to his credit, he didn't have the part for very long).

Anthony was much better as Jeremiah. He seemed better for a family figure role, I thought. More of the brotherly/uncle type. I couldn't imagine Mitch as Jeremiah though that would have been an interesting change of pace.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2004, 11:06:50 PM »
Jeremiah would have lived on in 1795 (maybe even defending Vicky instead of Peter Bradford).

Oh, if only!! (Just imagine the possibilty of a completely RD free DS.  [ideag])

And I have to agree that Mitch Ryan's Burke was the best, particularly, as Luciaphil said, during the pre-Barn episodes.

Offline Valerie Collins

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2004, 03:03:53 AM »
Mitchell Ryan!!!  ;D

Burke Devlin is my favorite DS character and I enjoyed Mitch's portrayal of Burke.  I was so disappointed when the role was recast.  I thought Mitch should have gotten a second chance.  It's a shame that he wasn't a part of later storylines.

Burke was the anti-hero of DS.  I wonder what DS would have been like if Mitchell Ryan was on it for it's entire run.

Mitch had some amazing scenes with Louis Edmonds and Jonathan Frid.

I also loved Burke's relationship with David.  I always thought that David was Burke's son.  And I was a big fan of Burke and Victoria.

Mitch played the role of Burke with so much charisma.  He also made Burke an interesting character to watch.

I think the new DS should have Burke Devlin on the show.

Offline Bobubas

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • The Gates of Hell.
    • View Profile
    • Bob's Dark Shadow Event Photos
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2004, 04:25:14 PM »
IMO, Mitchell Ryan was the better Burke Devlin.  His portrayal of the character was edgier, more dynamic, and more charismatic than Anthony George's.  Watching the two actors is like watching two totally different characters

I agree with you 110% Prof.  ;) In the role of Burke Devlin, Mitch Ryan had that cocky air about him that made the viewer believe that he believed himself to be a cut above the people who surrounded him. That was an attribute that Anthony George did not portray.
Your Focus Determines Your Reality!
Everything in Life is only for now!

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2004, 04:40:33 AM »
My vote goes to Mitch.  Have to agree he plays a much more convincing Burke.  I don't dislike Anthony George but he never seemed to carry the same baggage with him as Burke as he should have.  Guess I am just stating what so many others have said before.

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2004, 01:04:13 PM »
Mitch was great as the pre-Barnabas Devlin but would have been unbelievable later on IMO. Anthony George was perfect as Vicki's boyfriend. That role called for a man who was sensitive and understanding and able to relate to Vicki's character. Mitch was just too strong a character and would have run over Vicki like a steamroller. As far as AG kissing Alexandra in such an awkward way, it certainly was strange.  However, later when AG played Jeremiah, the kisses and hugs between him and KLS were anything but awkward and certainly conveyed a lot of passion. So, I think Alexandra was probably the problem during the intimate scenes with Anthony and not the other way around. The scenes between AG and David were also very good. I think they compared  favorably to those of Mitch and David.  Finally, I don't think Mitch would have been able to take the competition of another strong male such as Barnabas on the show. I thought that his scenes with Barnabas were awkward (on his part).
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline scottd

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2004, 09:47:08 PM »
I still haven't seen a lot of the early episodes with Mitchell Ryan, but I liked him a lot better as Burke. Anthony George was good, but there was always something about his Burke that I didn't like. I know he and Ryan were around the same age, but I always thought he looked too old for Vicki. I'm not sure if the character of Burke changed but I hate the way Burke talked to Vicki sometimes. I did like a lot of the back and forth exchanges between Anthony George and Jonathan Frid though!

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2004, 08:57:09 AM »
If MR had stayed on DS, then Burke may not have sent off in a plane crash and Jeremiah would have lived on in 1795 (maybe even defending Vicky instead of Peter Bradford).

You know, this is what I thought they were heading towards when Vicky first met up with Jerimiah Collins in 1795.  You could see that the two of them had a genuine liking towards one another.  This became more evident as they had more scenes together during that time, more so, that even Joshua had taken some notice of it and in so many words made some kind of remark to Jerimiah about it.

Miss Winthrop Wrote:
However, later when AG played Jeremiah, the kisses and hugs between him and KLS were anything but awkward and certainly conveyed a lot of passion.

Amen to that!!  I remember saying this in another post awhile back that I've never Josette look so happy when kissing a guy!!  Must have been that "spell" stuff, but she sure seemed to be enjoying it.  I also thought the chemistry between these two was very good.

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2004, 06:18:05 PM »
You know, this is what I thought they were heading towards when Vicky first met up with Jerimiah Collins in 1795.  You could see that the two of them had a genuine liking towards one another.  This became more evident as they had more scenes together during that time, more so, that even Joshua had taken some notice of it and in so many words made some kind of remark to Jerimiah about it.

What a good observation.  It was another missed opportunity for a nice side story.  Joshua wanted to fix Jerimiah up with Millicent(and her money).  Anthony George would have been the better actor to play her lawyer than RD.  The character Peter Bradford would not have been needed.  Jeremiah could have continued to harass Angelique even in 1968.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline Sandor

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2004, 08:23:29 PM »
Mitch Ryan was my favorite Burke. And talk about small worlds and Six Degrees of Separation, Mitch ended up playing the father-in-law on "Dharma & Greg" in the 90's, and his character on that show was married to Susan Sullivan's character, and Susan once played a ghost on Dark Shadows.  Susan also played opposite David Selby (Quentin) on "Falcon Crest," but I'm digressing here.
I'm with the gang who supports the opinion that Anthony George appeared a little long in the tooth compared to Alexandra Moltke, especially since AG went on to "Search For Tomorrow", and married that show's heroine, Jo, who was old enough (at that point) to be Victoria Winters' mother.

Offline Devlin66

• Full Poster
  • Devlin For President in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Burke Devlins Yahoo 360
Re: Which Burke?
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2004, 08:54:18 PM »
Ryan all the way, except i could never see him dressed circa 1795, or attending Barnabas costume party in 1967.  Wish he woulda stayed on until after intro of Barn----now that would of been trippy seeing Ryans Devlin and Barnabas trading lines and inuendos. (sic?) ::)
" When I gave Davey Collins the crystal ball I hoped he would see that I was his real father, and not that abusive Roger Collins!

Only Laura knows the truth regarding Davids paternity, and i am sure she remembers the back seat of that car Roger crashed.

Offline VictoriaWintersRox

• Full Poster
  • Vickified
    • View Profile
    • The Regal Beagle
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2004, 09:16:38 PM »
I liked both of them. Mitchell Ryan was great in the early episodes. I have to agree with Miss Winthrop -- IMO, Anthony George was perfect when it came to being Vicki's boyfriend. I liked the George's Burke/Vicki pairing better than when Ryan's Burke and Vicki were together. *shrugs* I always thought Mitchell Ryan looked older than Anthony George.

During 1795, it seemed at first like Jeremiah and Vicki would be hooking up, but then Angelique put that spell on Jeremiah and Josette. Also, it seemed like Burke could possibly returning since the bodies on the plane in Brazil were unrecognizable.

I personally wish Anthony George had stuck around longer. If anything, he was way better than Roger Davis.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2004, 09:28:02 PM »
If anything, he was way better than Roger Davis.

That's an understatement!  ;)