Author Topic: ** eWEEK Opinion: Internet Explorer Is Too Dangerous to Keep Using **  (Read 1536 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
On this July 4th, declare your independence from IE and move on to a better and more powerful browser. So many alternatives are available (Netscape, Mozilla, Firefox, Safari, etc.) so why saddle yourself with a browser that's so seriously insecure?

Internet Explorer Is Too Dangerous to Keep Using

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
And the congregation says "Amen".  I avoid IE like the plague.  I think it's the worst browser ever.  I much prefer the open source browsers like Firefox.  I just hope more web sites with get with the cross-browser compatibility.

Offline Irishcoda

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • This That & The Other Thing
I have a question about Firefox Mozilla.  I dl'd it and gave it a try so I could avoid using IE.  I set Mozilla as my default browser but when I tried to install the google toolbar, it wasn't loading onto Mozilla, it was going to IE!  Another problem I have is that some of the webpages are designed to go with IE ... I mean, this is hard to explain.  Some of the pages look screwed up on Mozilla.  Got any advice?  How can I get around that?

thank you,
Cassie
I've learned.... that everyone wants to
live on top of the mountain, but all the
happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it.
--Andy Rooney

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
  • It's an Orbach's, darling...
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Another problem I have is that some of the webpages are designed to go with IE ... I mean, this is hard to explain.  Some of the pages look screwed up on Mozilla.  Got any advice?  How can I get around that?

I know what you mean, Cassie. Some web pages even say that it's best to view them using IE (sigh). At times, when I scroll down certain sites, the graphics overlap (hard to explain...you'd have to see it to believe it - LOL). That never happens when I visit this board though (great job MB).  ;)
But, like victoriawinters said, I try to avoid IE now. Over time, I've found the Mozilla-based web browers to be a lot more versatile. I hope you're able to resolve the problems and make the switch. :)

W: http://hrh22.home.comcast.net

In case you didn't realize....Julia rules!  :-*

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
I USUALLY prefer using IE, but I am currently using Safari when I am at this forum. 

I have found that when I use IE, things are V-E-R-Y  S-L-O-W to come up when I click on ANYTHING here. The "little ball" keeps going around and around, and it takes forever for something to come up - UNLESS I click "stop" and go back and click on it again over and over again until it "kicks in".  :(  I do NOT experience this when I use Safari!! :)

I am using a Mac computer.  Earlier this year, my husband installed an iMac X upgrade, which uses Safari as the main (and, according to Apple, the preferred) browser.  Being used to using IE, I insisted on continuing to use IE.

I HAVE noticed that IE is NOT "totally secure" on some of the internet shopping sites..........The CBS Shopping site is like that - it just says "Internet Zone" at the bottom of the screen.  So I printed the order page for "Survivor" T-Shirts and sent it by mail to be more secure..........My husband insists that when I click on Yahoo Mail and need to "log in" again, that I go to Yahoo instead of "My Page" and log out and log back in again, so it can be "secure" with the "lock" on the bottom of the screen.

On this July 4th, declare your independence from IE and move on to a better and more powerful browser.
Internet Explorer Is Too Dangerous to Keep Using

After reading the above-mentioned article and the posts on this thread, I am seriously thinking of switching my "main browser" to Safari instead if IE.  ??? I will discuss this with my husband, and see what he has to say. ::)

----- Sally -----   8)
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline victoriawinters

• Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
Another problem I have is that some of the webpages are designed to go with IE ... I mean, this is hard to explain.  Some of the pages look screwed up on Mozilla.  Got any advice?  How can I get around that?

If you go to Tools, Options, Extensions, Get New Extensions then look for the Google toolbar one for Mozilla.  Install that.  Close the browser.  Go back in and it should be there.  There is also an IE View where you can right click on a page and view a page in IE if need be.

Unfortunately, many web sites are not W3C complaint or even bother to verify their code. Mozilla, Firefox, amongst other browsers won't render the html code unless it's complaint.  IE will render just about anything.  There are also some codes that only work in IE.  It's just a mess....

Offline Irishcoda

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • This That & The Other Thing
Thanks everyone and especially Victoria, I am going to follow your directions and hopefully get my google tool bar.  I think what I will do is, with the pages that just won't work with Mozilla I'll just open an IE window and then close it when I'm done with the site.  The security breaches worry me too.

thanks again!

Cassie
I've learned.... that everyone wants to
live on top of the mountain, but all the
happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it.
--Andy Rooney

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Well, since I don't have a clue, I decided it probably wouldn't hurt just to read about Mozilla (BTW, is it pronounced Mo, sounds like Mod Squad, or Moe, sounds like toe))

Anyway, this article may be of interest:
101 Things That the Mozilla Browser can do that IE Cannot Do

http://www.xulplanet.com/ndeakin/arts/reasons.html

***PLEASE NOTE....# 30...You can select any search engine you wish, not just the one that has been chosen for you****

(Um, I thought Mozilla was a search engine... ??? )

Patti

Okay,,,,what's the difference (I told you newbies I didn't have a clue!!) between a search engine (google? yahoo?) and a browser (IE, Netscape, yes??)
What a Woman!

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
What is the google toolbar?  I've heard of it, but never looked into it.

Also, I've heard of searching "google groups" which I assume is different than just searching google.
Josette