Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0531  (Read 888 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0531
« on: April 30, 2008, 12:16:57 AM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0531
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 08:39:42 AM »
Vicky's Dream had me spellbound today.  The lead-up to it was good, with both Vicky and Barnabas expressing despair.  Then all the way through it Vicky knew what the outcome was to be, so that the terror of the Dream was not from anything inside it but from the knowledge, even while she was dreaming, that this was just a means to an end.  Jonathan Frid did the silly poem beautifully, and all through the dream I felt terribly sorry for Vicky in her hopelessness.  And when she woke up, she knew that, unlike with other nightmares, the horror had not finished but was rather just starting.  A job very well done.

Frid made an interesting Beckoner.  He looked sympathetic to Vicky as he waved her through the door, but then he closed the door quite sharply and decisively.

Willie's a prize, isn't he?  He's so sure that he's got something going with Maggie, and he's all ready to let Joe die so that he won't have any competition.  It was mean of Barnabas to threaten to tell the police that Willie had a motive for murdering Joe - but Willie sure asked for it.

And then on the other hand there's Julia, suggesting that she and Barnabas go away together, and desperately hoping, no doubt, that in time Barnabas would come to love her - and Barnabas won't go away, because "You know how I feel about Vicky."  Poor Julia isn't allowed to have the sort of illusion that Willie cherishes.

If Barnabas understood that his freedom from the vampire curse depended on Adam staying alive, and if he had the option of returning in time to the point just before the Experiment took place and canceling it...would he choose to do that, knowing that Sam Evans is dead because of Adam, and that Joe could easily have died because of Adam?  I'm inclined to say, "No, he wouldn't" - but I'm not sure.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 02:30:27 PM »
I really can't say whether or not Barnabas would do the experiment that first time again if he could, even with knowing the connection between him and Adam. He never wished Adam to harm anyone, and remember he was the one who wanted to kill Adam after the experiment when Adam trashed the place and nearly strangled Julia, and she was the one who talked him out of it.

Yep, Willie has gotten delusional about his friendship with Maggie. It was mean of Barnabas to threaten to let Willie take the rap for Joe's attack, on the other hand, it was also despicable of Willie of wanting to let Joe die so he could have a shot with Maggie. I think Barnabas should have threatened Willie that, if he let Joe die, Barnabas would make sure Maggie would know about it somehow. That would certainly kill all the compassion and friendship she has developed for Willie.

I felt sorry for Vicki at the end of the dream. It was cruel of Cassandra to make her have to bring the dream to a man who is very near and dear to her. And in a way, stupid too, considering what happens in the following episode.

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 09:36:35 AM »
That was pretty rotten of Barnabas to threaten to blame Willie for killing Joe if Joe had died.  [ghost_angry] However, I don't blame Barnabas. It serves Willie right for wishing Joe dead in order to  have a better chance with Maggie.  [ghost_nowink] Willie was indeed getting quite delusional about Maggie.  [ghost_rolleyes]

I felt sorry for Julia when Barnabas turned her down on her offer for them to leave town. Poor Julia loved Barnabas, but her love wasn't returned. [cryg]

Hey! I just made a connection!  [ghost_grin] Willie had unrequited feelings for Maggie, and Julia had unrequited feelings for Barnabas. What a coincidence! [ghost_wink]

Barnabas did a great job as a beckoner and with the poem. It was neat how Vicki walked into the last door, and it went on and on as she followed the "burning light" until she got to the Old House and saw a dead Barnabas. Actually, it was rather exciting and suspenseful! [ghost_shocked]

----- Sally -----
[coolg] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 06:12:20 PM »
When I finally saw the conclusion of the Dream Curse (almost shortened to "DC" then thought you all might think I was talking about the end of Dan Curtis... I slide sideways into controversies without realizing, sometimes....), it was more satisfying.    It may have helped that it was AM and JF.  Say whay you will about the writing for AM, but she always has a gravity to her acting.     
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 08:50:51 PM »
I trust the perceptive powers of our members and guests enough to strongly suspect that within the context of this topic people would have figured out without much problem that DC stood for Dream Curse and not Dan Curtis.  [nodassent]  But you're certainly to be commended, Magnus, for not wanting to create a misimpression.  :)