Author Topic: something sam said  (Read 4015 times)

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
Re: something sam said
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2008, 02:10:35 AM »
Ah. I've never read any of Hamrick's books, so I didn't know it was included in Big Lou. Guess I was just posting fairly common knowledge, then. :\

Anyway, I do find it interesting  to see Elizabeth and Roger in the early episodes. In the later episodes, they were almost like the idiotic, clueless parents who are staples of countless kids' TV shows now. It was especially nice to see Joan Bennett getting better writing; she was a great actress and they criminally underused her in later storylines. But hey, the guy's got a right to his opinion, even if it is that the show was aimless until he and his wife joined the staff. :P Kidding, of course.
A growing collection of humorous DS videos. Last updated 11-3-08

Did a large procession wave their torches as my head fell in the basket,
And was everybody dancing on the casket?

Note: I will not respond to private messages.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2008, 02:55:05 AM »
YOU better be!!  I will kill a bitch over Grayson Hall.  ROFLOL.  JUST JOKIN'! [ghost_cheesy] PROMISE! Mean it!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2008, 04:35:51 AM »
Oh, believe me, I have nothing against Grayson Hall whatsoever; she was an enormously talented actress, and it showed in the eps that didn't feature a director who insisted on over-the-top acting (and even in the more melodramatic episodes, she was still quite good!). I can't imagine what the show would have been like without Julia. I'm merely saying that his comments come off slightly egotistical, that's all. I for one am thoroughly enjoying the early eps - in all honesty, far more than some of the post-Barnabas storylines, and calling them aimless seems a bit absurd. Of course, though the Bill Malloy arc was very well-done, the Laura arc does meander a little, but it's still not "aimless."

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2008, 05:38:46 AM »
Goober....I promise I meant nothing by it.  But thanks for writing back.  And I agree with you about certain directors.  I really like her direction under Henry Kaplan the best. :)  Have you read her autobiography??  And I think I already said it but I don't agree with Sam either.  Even if you hated Julia/GH I would really respect your opinion.  I am kidder, so don't take me too seriously!! [ghost_wink]
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2008, 02:27:52 AM »
Oh, I know, I was just clarifying to make sure I didn't sound like I hated either of the Halls.  [ghost_tongue2]

I watched the episodes in quick succession on DVD, often skipping the end credits, and I've only seen most of the eps once (though they were very recent viewings), so I unfortunately cannot state a specific preference of directors. I didn't know she had written an autobiography; the only GH biography I knew about was A Hard Act to Follow, and I unfortunately haven't read it yet.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2008, 03:15:43 AM »
OUT of habit my hands typed auto with bigography.  Not she didn't write one herself.  Actually Grayson didn't even keep much  stuff on herself according to AHATF, so I doubt she would haven't written her own biography!

Offline fridfreak

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2008, 03:28:52 AM »
I know what DVD collection you are referring to and I have to go back and watch that particular interview because I cannot simply remember what he said about aimless gothic the first year of the series.  It didn't even start off as Gothic initially..at least not from my perspective ..it became more Gothic like with the seaweed guy and all that and then Laura and the burning phoenix etc.  So aimless no.. maybe planned ..what to do to keep the show on the air another 13 weeks kinda mentality?  As far as Joan Bennett, she was such a strong figure in the series [spoiler]up until I felt Rev Trask made potty of her senses.  She came back though and walled him up. She was senseless too with the Leviathans but then again she came back strong as ever.[/spoiler] I do think she did become slightly of a backdrop actress.  Its a shame though.  She was after all Mistress of Collinwood and seemed to me to command a strong sense of respect and acknowledgement.  Her mere presence often kept ol Barn in line too!
Long live the vampire and his love (Barnabas and Maggie)

Offline JS

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook profile
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2008, 01:06:16 PM »
Joan Bennett's was The class act of the show in the beginning. Then when Jonathan Frid came on the scene Dark Shadows was the classiest soap or show on the air. [ghost_wink] Together they were the meat the rest of the actors were the complete sandwich that made Dark Shadows the best show ever. [ghost_smiley]
I doubt that the imagination can be suppressed. If you truly eradicated it in a child, he would grow up to be an eggplant.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2008, 03:46:06 PM »
YOU better be!!  I will kill a bitch over Grayson Hall.  ROFLOL.  JUST JOKIN'! [ghost_cheesy] PROMISE! Mean it!

Taeylor, you have my questionable permission to go nuts and threaten people's lives more often, for what little it's worth.   If it could be a little less hip-hop I'd like it more, but the mock-aggression I'm fine with personally!   Grayson's cool!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2008, 05:22:53 AM »
Sorry Magnus.  It's just part of my speech.  I am in not way HIP HOP but I am in no way a person who talks one specific way.  I am a mix of southern, pop culture, english, etc......I will threaten more lives though if it gives you pleasure!