Poll

Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down?

Thumbs Up!
20 (87%)
Thumbs Down!
3 (13%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Voting closed: July 02, 2012, 12:04:34 AM

Author Topic: Poll: DARK SHADOWS (2012) - Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down?  (Read 2557 times)

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
Re: Poll: DARK SHADOWS (2012) - Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down?
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2012, 09:02:52 PM »
I enjoyed the film very much.  I especially liked that director Tim Burton decided to explore the aspect of Barnabas Collins, man of the 18th century, trying to cope with life in the 20th century, something we never saw on the original series.

It was cool that we also got to see the great Sir Christopher Lee in a cameo role.  However, I wish that the late, great Jonathan Frid had exchanged some dialogue with Mr. Depp during that memorable party scene at Collinwood.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2012, 09:17:39 PM »
Too late to vote but I would give it a thumbs up. Is this the movie I would have made? Probably not but I didn't happen to have $ 150 or so million on hand at that moment.

It kept me entertained for the two hours I was in theatre and entertained enough to go back and see it numerous times, something I haven't done in years.
Fade Away and Radiate

David

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2012, 10:05:48 PM »
Thumbs down for Barnabas brushing his fangs, Angelique's projectile vomiting & Mrs. Johnson spraying Barnabas with Windex--too forced & silly.

Thumbs up for the rest of the film: stunning visuals, great acting, and the script is true to the original characters for the most part.

Offline mm#7

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2012, 10:17:49 PM »
Thumbs up for me, I enjoyed this film a lot . As a matter of fact, when the Blu Ray is ready for pre order, at least 5 will be ordered, 2 of them as Christmas presents.

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2012, 10:44:12 PM »
I think I'm in the vast minority, but I actually liked Barnabas brushing his fangs  [ghost_smiley]  For me, it fit in with the Top Of The World montage and with the theme of him adjusting to 21st century life. 

The Windex wasn't the greatest, but I would've been up for Mrs. Johnson to come along and quietly clean him up with a sponge or washcloth, as if it was just another normal day at Collinwood.

However, I'm totally with you on the projectile vomiting; in fact, with repeated viewings the whole Angelique/Barnabas confrontation at the end felt a few beats too long and drawn out.  I could have also either done without the Carolyn reveal, OR had that aspect be fleshed out a bit better so it didn't seem so clunky.

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2012, 06:24:56 AM »
Thumbs up!  I felt that the major (and many lesser) characters and their interactions were sufficiently in keeping with how they were previously established to be able to enjoy the new things that happened with and to them.
Josette

Offline Nicky

• Full Poster
  • It will be as if you are dead..I promised you that
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2012, 01:27:21 AM »
Thumbs up.  I'm easy-going.   [ghost_tongue2]  Also, I would never, NEVER take back those moments -- the shot of the train with Angelique superimposed over it, the cliff, the roaring of the waves, COLLINWOOD, Liz and Barnabas' descent into the nether-regions of Collinwood, the music -- when I sat in the movie theatre, there in the darkness, and felt this little familiar frisson.  This is Dark Shadows, I thought.  And just smiled slightly to myself.
"And the dark and terrifying thing you find there will turn your blood to ice!"