Author Topic: FLYING JACKETS  (Read 1421 times)

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
FLYING JACKETS
« on: April 22, 2010, 03:11:27 AM »
Okay, so I've run a complete virus and spyware scan and I still see these flying brown jackets on the DS Forums page--so, what's up with that?

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: FLYING JACKETS
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 03:39:20 AM »
Hey Brian,

I'm sure MB will check in about this eventually, but I believe it is in honor (?) of a certain piece of clothing worn *endlessly* by PT 1970 Quentin Collins and frequently regarded as the "most hideous piece of clothing" ever to appear on the series.

Though such wardrobe items as Bruno's ranch poodle jacket, Cassandra's garish purple butterfly caftan, Julia's hideous nubby orange suit, and Maggie's outrageous patchwork quilt skirt, give the Quentin orange jacket quite a run for its money in the unsightly costumery department... hey, it was the late Sixties!

G.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 03:52:36 AM »
I have a fabulous Top 20 worst outfits on DS and Maggie's pants come up as number one! LOL  It was gonna be in a zine but didn't make it.  I will probably post it on my DS FB group! :)  It's quite HIGHlarious.
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 04:00:52 AM »
Okay, so I've run a complete virus and spyware scan and I still see these flying brown jackets on the DS Forums page--so, what's up with that?

Gee, in all your time as a member of the forum you've never seen or even read about the floaties before?  [ghost_shocked]  They've been making sporadic appearances on the forum since 2005. This is the 28th appearance of one, and there have been numerous topics devoted to them. Their stints can last anywhere from a few hours to several days, and they most often tend to commemorate a holiday or some event in DS history. Today's just happens to commemorate the first time PTQuentin wore that particular jacket in Ep #983, the latest ep in the Watching Project. Clicking on them earns Karma cures/curses points as well as a (hopefully) witty message.  [ghost_smiley]

a certain piece of clothing worn *endlessly* by PT 1970 Quentin Collins and frequently regarded as the "most hideous piece of clothing" ever to appear on the series.

Bite your tongue! (Or should that be break your fingers?!) Don't be hating on the jacket!  [ghost_wink]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 04:02:58 AM »
I have a fabulous Top 20 worst outfits on DS...  I will probably post it on my DS FB group! :)  It's quite HIGHlarious.

And why can't you share it directly with us?  [ghost_huh]

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 04:23:25 AM »
Bite your tongue! (Or should that be break your fingers?!) Don't be hating on the jacket!  [ghost_wink]
That jacket held pure awesomeness.  [ghost_grin]

I anxiously await the floatie of Cassandra's hideous caftan -- the one that looks like Roy G. Biv hurled on it.

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

David

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 04:24:07 AM »
 [ghost_rolleyes]
Anyone recall the green dress that Liz wore in 1967? It looked like someone dumped a plate of salad all over her!!

David

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 05:12:19 AM »
How about the green coat, or the yellow nightgown the Vickie wore, those where really interesting.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 06:10:54 AM »
Hi Brian!  Wondered where you were lately.   Me, I hate just about anything on Julia in 1967.   Anyway, I finally stopped clicking on the marauding jackets when it got to look as if nothing good could come from it.  I've no doubt racked up enough cures to get me through the next Black Plague though...  I'm like a cat though, batting a paw at anything that moves...  There it goes again, MUST control self.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 06:41:46 AM »
I finally stopped clicking on the marauding jackets when it got to look as if nothing good could come from it.

Others have been very lucky this evening, racking up curses in the thousands (so far loril54 has grabbed the single biggest curse: -987). But things haven't exactly been bad for you. Granted, you''ve caught more cures than curses - but I see where you caught a -388 curse. And considering that the cures you caught only total +28, that still puts you way ahead of the game.  [ghost_wink]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2010, 06:58:26 AM »
I didn't catch that, MB, thanks!   The Black Death may claim me yet!!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2010, 07:35:55 AM »
And why can't you share it directly with us?  [ghost_huh]

MB...I have to make sure the author doesn't mind.  I don't think they will I just have to touch base with them! ;)  They already said I could post it to FB. I just wanna make sure I can post it here as well! :)
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2010, 12:59:34 AM »
 [ghost_wink] My bad...this is the first time I've ever seen these flying thingies.  Guess I'm not checking in often enuf.  

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2010, 11:19:13 PM »
For awhile I was embarrassed by most of the clothing styles from the 60's and 70's but now I'm convinced that they were the best and basically defined a definite style trend and you could pinpoint the exact decade that they were popular.  I have to say that I find the clothing from the early 80's very endearing and comfortable to think about when they say so much about the type of people who wore them.  The 90's and now the 1st decade of the 2000s is kind of blah and very uninteresting.  Sometimes a young guy walks by with the baggy pants and it reminds me of the backside of an elephant. To check out some 80's fashions see Killer Clowns from Outer Space. I'm going through my 80's period right now and love the big shoulder pads, big hair and big ties....what fun!
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf