Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0859  (Read 408 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0859
« on: January 09, 2015, 05:52:56 PM »
Robservations #859

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0859

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 07:01:20 PM »
Kitty is wearing a pretty, deep purple frock with gorgeous beadwork at the neckline when she arrives at the old rectory. QPetofi tries to explain that he's really Quentin, but Kitty has apparently bitter memories of what the real Petofi did to her husband. So Quentin goes into full Petofi mode (nice job by Thayer David), waves the Hand at her, and orders her to steal the portrait from Quentin's room by nine o'clock tonight. She is rescued when the music box starts playing.

At Collinwood, Edward tells his "brother" that he's going to leave Barnabas's portrait in the foyer. He is merely an ancestor now. No better and no worse than some of the others, PQuentin opines. How can you say that? Edward asks. I’m just being a realist, PQuentin says. I believe in honesty. Edward says haughtily, Considering your life, you’ve managed to hide _that_ fact very well. I’ve changed, PQuentin replies. I hope so, for your sake, Edward answers gravely, since you’re starting a new life with Angelique, and in marriage the old rules are the proper ones, he finishes in elder-brother mode. [Considering that he married a Phoenix, he isn’t exactly a shining example himself!] PQuentin grins sarcastically at this idea. What time is the ceremony tomorrow? Edward asks. Two o’clock, I believe, PQuentin replies. But before Edward has time even to be aware of the strangeness of ”Quentin”’s not knowing the time of his own wedding, Kitty rushes into the house and straight to Edward’s arms, near hysterics. That house! she babbles. The rectory is haunted and that that woman is gone! What do you mean, gone, PQuentin asks, already making for the door. She disappeared! Kitty sobs. PQuentin runs out without another word, despite Edward’s calls to “Quentin.” What am I going to do, Edward? Kitty asks. That curse! He’s following me, she sobs. Help me! Edward naturally takes her in his arms and comforts her.

Kitty gabbles that the count has made Julia disappear. Edward does his best to comfort her, and just as they're embracing again, Nora arrives to complain that Jamison won't play checkers with her. Edward goes to the rectory to investigate, and Kitty tries to make friends with Nora over checkers. But Nora double-jumps her twice. Kitty loses the game and more. Are you going to marry my father? Nora finally asks, looking right at Kitty. Why? Kitty asks. Is that why you want to be friends? Nora asks. Your father and I are simply very fond of each other, Kitty answers. I see, Nora says, still looking Kitty in the eye. Surely you want your father to be happy, Kitty says. Yes, I do--I want that, Nora answers pointedly, and Kitty realizes that Nora is her adversary. She stares at the little girl in her turn.

Edward arrives at the rectory, only to find PQuentin there. Edward falls to quarreling with his "brother" and reports that back to Kitty. Kitty gushes about that "dear child," Nora, and Edward is sure they'll be happy together. Now that you’ve learned some of our secrets and scandals, has it turned you against us? he asks worriedly. Nothing could, Edward, absolutely nothing, Kitty tells him almost grimly.

QPetofi arrives at the rectory. PQuentin guesses that he's looking for Julia in the hope that she can help him. He taunts QPetofi once more, waves the real Hand at him, and frightens him off.

Back at Collinwood, Nora is putting away her checkers. Edward asks, Did you enjoy your game with Lady Hampshire? We never finished it, Nora replies. She is very nice, isn’t she? he asks. If you say so, Nora answers. Kitty returns and proposes finishing the game. Go to bed by nine, Edward tells Nora, but just then the foyer clock strikes 8:45. Edward gives Nora a good-night kiss and prompts her, Say goodnight to Lady Hampshire. Oh, Kitty, please, Kitty says. Quite deliberately, Nora says, Good night, Lady Hampshire. Edward invites Kitty to join him in a nightcap, but she pleads exhaustion, glancing at her watch one last time as she goes upstairs.

PQuentin is still searching the old rectory when he finds Julia’s empty medical bag--and her 1969 dress. He seems to get an idea and quickly leaves.

Kitty has made it up to Quentin’s rooms undetected. She knocks on the door and gets no response, so she enters. She finds the cloth-draped frame and uncovers it. To her dismay, the frame is empty still. She looks in the closet but finds nothing. Just then someone comes into the room behind her and lays a hand on her shoulder. She whirls around, horrified--she’s been caught!.....

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 01:10:54 AM »
Louis E VO, in which they explain the bodyswap concept to the audience.  When the Avengers used the idea, they did the same thing, only stopping in the middle of the episode to have an announcer do it...

Julia's disappearance turns the Rectory into the Crossroads of America (as a town I lived in liked to call itself), with most characters putting in an appearance.  I noted that the instant we hear Quentin's thought that he's going to pretend he actually is Petofi and use Kitty, he (Thayer as Q) adjusts his bow tie, as if that was needed to get ready to do this...  Josette pops by the Rectory, spooks Kitty.  Kitty refers to Julia as "tall" when she's one of the shorter adults on DS, and Sam Hall wrote this, so a special request from Grayson, who perhaps liked to think of herself as tall?

Denise N is really good, playing Nora as very angry and steely toward golddigger Kitty.  I liked the moment when it became clear to both of them that they would now be forced to spend time with each other, horror of horrors, without Edward.  They get different weird looks on their faces, and the background music came in to make it seem something horrible was about to happen...

The Rectory is the place to be, apparently, since everyone ends up there.  This time, Q and Ed.  Or Petofi and Ed that is, then Qtofi and Petentin.  The latter two speak to each other when at the doorway, and they're at exactly the same head level, which seems improbable.  Kitty is caught rummaging for the portrait of Quentin.  KLS certainly has a very "active" face.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 08:13:41 PM »
MT, thanks for mentioning that Thayer adjusts his bow tie as QPetofi prepares to put the frighteners on Kitty. Nice!

I believe that in one of the 1840 episodes, someone else refers to Julia as "tall." So it must have been a thing with Grayson.

Denise N really holds her own with KLS. I'll bet they had fun doing that scene!

MT, is the Crossroads of America anywhere near the Mall of the Americas? I went to the mall on a business trip, years ago.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 07:22:18 AM »
There are countless self-styled Crossroads of America, DL, but ours was Vandalia, Ohio, where the main intersection was between US Routes 25 (Dixie Highway, now kaput) and 40 (National Road).  These days it's still where Interstates 70 and 75 come together, and is where the Dayton Ohio airport is.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 04:19:53 PM »
Aha, thanks, MT!

The Mall of America--as it's actually called--is in Minneapolis and is fairly vast.