Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0446  (Read 772 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0446
« on: April 29, 2013, 05:28:36 PM »
Robservations #446

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0446

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 08:09:17 PM »
I've really been anticipating this episode. Bennett's been doing more than her share of OVOs - I guess that has something to do with being the only woman cast member on set. Well, practice makes perfect.

Barnabas rises and a confused & mortified Joshua (donning a pinky ring, that sparkles beautifully, that I've never noticed before) tries to come to grips with what he is seeing. (I am impressed with the reverb in the basement scenes). Frid & Edmonds and the tech staff are all at the top of their craft (remember how awful the eps were when the techs were on strike?). All their scenes are totally engrossing, so engrossing in fact that the episode seemed to last no more than ten minutes. (I wonder if this was taped on a Monday?) I was tearing up at times, especially in the closing scene. At my older age the gut-wrenching father & son stuff easily gets to me.

The whole episode is quite superb for content & craft. Though Bennett stepped on her dress and took many looks toward the TP in the Old House scene neither affected the quality of the scene, IMO. As a matter of fact, the line about Joshua looking over his shoulder kind of (inadvertently, I'm sure, lol) took care of that 'issue'. She had no vocal mishaps and her performance at Collinwood in the foyer with Edmonds and Crothers was flawless. And my goodness, she looked even more breathtaking in this episode than in the previous episode, if that's possible. Crothers did extremely well again - I count three pretty much flawless performances by Crothers so far. Frid's & Edmonds' scenes and performances are among the finest I've ever seen on the show and definitely places said scenes on my 'Best Of' list. But in the end, the episode goes to Louie, with Jonathan right on his heels. And much to my chagrin, I give props to Sam Hall for writing this wonderful episode. The dialogue is fantastic. Barn explaining his condition and it's side effects answering Joshua's inquiries and accusations is superb. Louie's emotionally charged vocal performance is beyond reproach, as is Frid's.

Random thoughts - Anyone care to guess why the writers would have Joshua state that he'd never tell Barnabas who told him he was at the Old House? I read much ado about the word vampire not being used, etc. Frid as Barnabas called himself a vampire in this episode, is this the first mention of the word on the show? Geez, the west wing sure does get it's share of proposed inhabitants, eh?

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 09:12:09 PM »
You've said pretty much everything I would have said. This is one of the best and one of my favorite episodes in the entire series--gut wrenching, heartbreaking, superbly written, beautifully realized and featuring nearly flawless performances from everyone involved. I remember that my hair was standing on end the first time I saw it.

It's hard to know who is in the most dreadful circumstances: Naomi, desperately trying to reach her husband, who is desperately trying to keep her in the dark; Joshua, torn between pity and horror for his son; Barnabas, who knows what he must reveal and dreads it.

Joshua's proud demeanor before Nathan, even in defeat, is heartbreaking.

Despite their previous disagreements, father and son tacitly agree that at all costs to themselves, they must keep the secret from Naomi. In some ways, the tragedy of the curse brings them closer.

Yes, I'm 99 percent sure this is the first mention of the word vampire.

dom, you note that Joshua wouldn't tell Barnabas who revealed that B. was at the Old House. Maybe Joshua thought Barnabas would take some kind of revenge, although he doesn't yet know the extent of Barnabas's savagery. Unfortunately he's only given Nathan another weapon to use against him.

JB is dazzlingly beautiful in this episode and will be still more beautiful in one to come….

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 10:34:32 PM »
Actually the word "vampire" was first used in the episode when Angelique goes with Ben to Barnabas' coffin to stake him.  She asks "Have you ever heard of the word vampire"?

This is probably the second time it's been used.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 11:34:08 PM »
It's definitely the second use of the word "vampire"; I've been keeping track.  Heartbreaking when Joshua finally gets it, how all this is for Barnabas himself, and he suddenly sympathizes.   Josh's staginess still interferes with my empathizing with him, though.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 12:17:51 AM »
I stand corrected, guys--thanks! It's always shock to hear the word because they use it so sparingly--a nice touch.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 03:27:13 AM »
a different hand emerges from the coffin today. Joshua who believes in witches has a hard time coming to grips with the existence of vampires and thinks he can take care of the problem with a gun.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times