Author Topic: favorite "moment"  (Read 4095 times)

Offline Angelina

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: favorite "moment"
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2004, 05:18:16 AM »
I don't have a specific favorite moment as I'm just now watching it all on DVD (I think it must have felt v. different for those watching it when it really was new), but there are a few moments I really enjoyed watching:

David was at Barn's house and Willie was getting all fidgity and nervous.  He finally managed to talk David into leaving but Barnabas called out for David to wait and said he'd walk him back to the big house.  Then Barn turned to Willie, with one heck of a wickedly wolfish grin, and said something to the effect of "We don't want the boy walking alone in the dark, do we?" So funny - he really tortured poor Willie. 

A sweeter moment was when they were having their fancy dress party.  Barn took a look at Liz, who looked v. regal as usual, and nearly blurted out that she looked just like his mother.  He looked so vulnerable at that moment -- as if he were just about to run into her arms for a hug.  Poor mama's boy.

A beautifully shot scene, also featuring Barnabas (I like him a lot) was one of the times he snuck into Victoria's bedroom and debated biting her.  It looked so creepy and most gothic.  The grainy b&w film kind of added to the whole thing. 

The special effects horror scenes don't really do as much for me as the creepy character scenes. 

Offline The Ghost of Sarah Collins

• Senior Poster
  • Do You Know My Brother Barnabas...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2004, 05:22:20 AM »
Another favorite moment is during the dream curse when Vickie would suffer having the dream over and again rather than pass it on to Barnabas... then without warning Julia SLAPS! Casandra who before that had a very smug smile on her face I believe...  priceless!  ;)
The Ghost of Sarah Collins (1784-1795)
Sister to Barnabas...@}{~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"That evil is wicked is well understood,
the wicked are punished so you must be good"
(Sarah to Barnabas)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2004, 08:06:47 AM »
I agree - I didn't want to post one, as I can think of too many wonderful ones and have probably forgotten a lot more.  But that slap is definitely one of my favorites!  :) :)
Josette

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2004, 12:46:21 PM »
Any scene where Julia slaps someone ...The Cassandra scene GOSC pointed out and when Julia slaps Joe . . and then when Joe's going nuts at the jail and Julia whips out that big ole hypo. . . .yeah that' s fun. . .Of course i like the plaintive love lorn scene between B&J just after they left PT and Barnabas' survival of the silver bullet in 1995 and Julia's emotional breakdown. . .
Julia99

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2004, 05:02:30 PM »
I have so many favorite moments that I've posted on this board but since I just finished tape 43 of 1795 and since it's outstanding I'll focus on it. In the basement of the old house Joshua finds out his son is not dead and has become a vampire. Usually JF and Thayer David are my fav duo but Louis Edmonds outdoes himself. I give him full credit for those exciting scenes. They may have made fun of them years later but at the time Louis Edmonds was completely "there" - one of the few times I felt sorry for Joshua- stalling Nathan Forbes, placating and protecting Naomi, trying to do "what's best" for Millicent - Joshua is a marvel of action and responsiblity. And his look of pain, anger and sorrow at what Barnabas has become is genuinely affecting. A great DS moment.

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2004, 08:41:02 PM »
I agree with Heather, that Vickie's rescue of David from the burning shack was the momonet I got hooked on the show. Although I had been watching for a while, from then on I was committed! I was about David's age at the time and he was the character I related to.

The last time I watched the series all the way through, I was hooked by the scene where Barnabas has Julia murder Dr. Woodard. I was moved by Barnabas's words along the lines of "You may mock my affliction, but you may not mock   my      pain."

After these, i would say the build up to Quentin's ghost when the children discover the skeleton walled up in the West Wing was a major grabber!
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2004, 04:32:34 AM »
    The last time I watched the series all the way through, I was hooked by the scene where Barnabas has Julia murder Dr. Woodard. I was moved by Barnabas's words along the lines of "You may mock my affliction, but you may not mock   my      pain."

Yes, I recall Barnabas becoming rather upset with Dr. Woodard for mentioning Sarah's name while attempting to escape his office... something along the lines of "look I see Sarah!" then running for the door, alas slightly too slow, Barnabas displayed his rath and made Dave Woodard pay for his mistake of uttering his sister's name.

(Sarah to Barnabas)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2004, 02:23:31 PM »
I overall hate the Leviathan storyline, but, notable exception was when 1st kid (Michael?) goes upstairs, but then a moment later 2nd boy (Alex?) who's older/bigger comes down....crreeeeeppppyyyyy!!!

Also, one of the all time best scenes from all DS is 1897:
(and this is real spoilage for those of you watching the current DVD, so you may not want to read this):
[spoiler]when Barn and Laura realize they 'recognize each other'[/spoiler]

That was fantastic!

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2004, 01:37:18 AM »
another great moment...when vicki gets caught in a storm and is forced to spend the night in josette's room at the old house...when she's asleep barnabas comes into the room and gazes at her longingly...but he cannot bring himself to take her blood.it sums up the complexity of b's character.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2004, 02:48:22 AM »
For me, it is the scene where David and Amy are playing in that dusty, cob-webbed room, filled with junk, Amy telling David that she really can hear Quentin on that disconnected Victorian phone.  David teases her, but when he speaks into it, intending to prove that she's just a silly girl who doesn't know the difference between make-believe and reality, that expression of terror-ridden shock and surprise on his face, heightened by the quick camera-pan-in-close-shot, caused by him hearing a disembodied voice we can't hear, was simply chilling.  Those two kids were absolutely incredible in their acting ability.

Gerard

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2004, 08:06:43 PM »
I overall hate the Leviathan storyline, but, notable exception was when 1st kid (Michael?) goes upstairs, but then a moment later 2nd boy (Alex?) who's older/bigger comes down....crreeeeeppppyyyyy!!!

I believe the first LK was Alexander, who reminded me a bit of pugsly from the Adams family... he was a creeepy kid. :o The Second LK Michael was just a spoild brat.  :P

(Sarah to Barnabas)

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2004, 05:25:32 AM »
 :-X  Well, I know I'm one of the few Leviathan story fans, as I think what we imagine as the creature is better than anything the old DS budget could created, plus it was true to Lovecraft in that if you actually saw "one of the Ancient Ones", you could lose part of your sanity. That said. I like Michael as he was a pretty good actor and reminds me now of a young Christopher Walken.
   Speaking of which here's favorite Leviathan moment...
[spoiler]When Jeb opens the coffin of Paul Stoddard and his corpse is grinning that ghastly smile at him![/spoiler]

Michael,
    A Cousin from Virginia

On to Tarrytown,
     Then to Trask St. in  Salem!
        Let the witch trials begin!
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2004, 06:04:04 PM »
Really Way off topic but ...

Quote from: CyrusL
[spoiler]When Jeb opens the coffin of Paul Stoddard and his corpse is grinning that ghastly smile at him![/spoiler]

[spoiler]Why did Paul never appear again??[/spoiler]
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2004, 01:09:59 PM »
    Speaking of which here's favorite Leviathan moment...

Yeah Michael...that was good!

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2004, 11:53:47 PM »
My favorite scene was at the end of an episode where Barnabas decides he is going to kill [spoiler]David (after he realized he knew the secret room) and says "little David, you are going to sleep for a long, long time."  Julia then rushes in and begs him not to do it saying she will not let him and then he tells her "there is nothing that can stop me!"  The doors blow open and Barnabas realizes that it is Sarahs ghost preventing him from leaving.  Juila then smugly states "nothing can stop you...except for a little girl!"[/spoiler]The look on Barnabas' face is priceless!