Author Topic: Re: Julia's Excuses - Revisited  (Read 2639 times)

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
Re: Julia's Excuses - Revisited
« on: July 31, 2010, 03:38:43 PM »
Posted by Julia99 on January 24, 2002 at 16:52:07:
In Reply to: Julia's Excuses posted by Paul on January 24, 2002 at 12:38:08:

Carolyn: Julia, how'd you get that mark on your neck?
Julia: Uh, hmm, the vaccum cleaner went crazy!

Elizabeth: Julia, where were you at 3:00 this morning, David was terribly sick, we needed you!
Julia: Uh, hmm, I was, yeah, down at the Old House, Barnabas had a chill. I had to give him a Vitamin C shot.

Roger: Why won't you sleep with me?
Julia: Because it will be more than meaningless sex to you.

David: Julia, how come you give everyone sedatives?
Julia: ohhhhhhh, everything feels so much better after a sedative David, would you like to see?

OMG! That is a hysterically funny post Julia! Thanks for the laughs!  Julia is truly the QUEEN of excuses.  My favorite excuse for everything is "Were working on a book!"  That book could have been finished many times over!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Willie Loomis

• Senior Poster
  • willie rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 04:13:22 AM »
she is a wonderful liar too.   i love how she obviously lies to everyone and they just fall for it.  but don't ever lie to Julia......!

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 05:34:49 PM »
its so bizarre to see this thread from too many years ago resuscitated, I am watching the Dream Curse/Cassandra in Joan Collins wig era, and actually...Julia is a bad liar but everyone still accepts her emphatically....I'm also digging her snide remarks and observations (written mostly by Sam Hall for Julia's character and Barnabas--he has some humdingers too)..

Julia:  Willie where were you?
Willie:  Nowhere.
Julia (noting his shoes):  Well nowhere is a very muddy domain.

Julia99

Offline katrinavantassel

• Junior Poster
  • Home sweet home
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 03:00:18 PM »
Julia99 - that is a great exchange! I remember, during a period in some of the episodes but forget which, there were a bunch of clever lines, dry humor. I really appreciated those episodes. A little humor in an otherwise dark life at Collinwood.  [ghost_smiley]

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 05:22:50 AM »
I have been going through old posts Julia 99 so expect more resurrections!  ;)  I just watched the same episode with Julia saying that to Willie! HA
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline Willie Loomis

• Senior Poster
  • willie rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 02:18:06 PM »
As a little boy in the 60's, Julia Hoffman was someone I was intrigued by.   I just used to sit and watch her actions, her thought process and her facial expressions.     

I love many thing about Julia.    Her whole aura actually.   

But, one thing i always laugh at is the way she runs.  I don't know why i find that so funny.   

I also love when she does that dramatic turn, hand up in the air...look of exaperation or fright on her face.   

My favorite Julia moment was an episode when she was the "coherent" person in the house and everyone was acting nuts, or had "died" and all these things were going on and she was running around Collinwood like a chicken without a head.

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 05:45:58 PM »
Well within the last week I introduced two more people to the glory of Grayson.  .a co-worker and an aquaintance.  They're both hooked.  
Julia99

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 05:55:52 PM »
As well they should be.  [ghost_wink]

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 06:29:29 PM »

That is one of my favorite Julia episodes.  Whenever I watch it, I wonder if something was going on behind the scenes that day because La Grayson plays her scenes with John Karlen in an irritated manner that seems a bit out of character for Julia.  Also, she appears to be glancing at the TelePrompter, so perhaps she didn't know her lines and that was affecting her performance.

Another great line, one which strikes me as an ad-lib:  Lang is telling Julia the dream and mentions that she didn't say anything.  Julia replies, "Well, that proves it was a dream."

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2010, 08:25:34 PM »
There's a scene where Julia is looking for someone, and somebody else says she's not there.  Then a third person comes out and says they've just been talking to the person Julia's looking for.  Julia turns to the first person in a wounded, upset way and asks, "Why was it necessary to lie?"  This cracked me up because of all the times Julia lied for any number of reasons.

I also love the one somebody else mentioned where Carolyn is near hysteria because Amy has disappeared and oh-dear-whatever-shall-I-tell-Mother and Julia takes her by the shoulders and practically bellows, "LIE to her!"

That's the one where Julia has to bitch-slap Joe because he is ALSO having hysterics...

G.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 08:55:18 PM »
Julia turns to the first person in a wounded, upset way and asks, "Why was it necessary to lie?"  This cracked me up because of all the times Julia lied for any number of reasons.

That is an amusing moment. But then Julia is hardly the only character on DS who expects others to act with far more honesty and with far less evasion than they themselves do.  [ghost_cheesy]

And actually, many of us could spend days if not weeks listing our favorite Julia scenes. (perhaps someone should start that topic. Hint, hint...)

And BTW, I split the above posts out of the original topic and moved them to a new topic here on the "CT '10 I" board because the latest responses have far eclipsed what was posted originally.

Offline Willie Loomis

• Senior Poster
  • willie rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 09:11:24 PM »
I also love the one somebody else mentioned where Carolyn is near hysteria because Amy has disappeared and oh-dear-whatever-shall-I-tell-Mother and Julia takes her by the shoulders and practically bellows, "LIE to her!"
!!!!!!!

yes, that was a classic!

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2010, 01:17:36 AM »
I personally love "It takes intelligence to know intelligence!"   I am glad we are getting a lot of hits on this thread.  It's fun that it was revived!

I love the "LIE to her!" line as well....hysterical!

Offline Sara Monster

• * 150000 Poster!! *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Willie Loomis Saves Collinsport
Re: Julia's Excuses- Revisited
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 01:44:20 AM »

That is one of my favorite Julia episodes.  Whenever I watch it, I wonder if something was going on behind the scenes that day because La Grayson plays her scenes with John Karlen in an irritated manner that seems a bit out of character for Julia.  Also, she appears to be glancing at the TelePrompter, so perhaps she didn't know her lines and that was affecting her performance.

I believe I read before (most likely from this forum), that those lines were originally intended for Barnabas, who could not appear in that particular episode, on account of Jonathan Frid being ill. Can anyone else confirm this?

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2010, 03:55:45 AM »
the best is a 1967 scene shortly after "miss" hoffman takes up what will ultimately become permanent residence at collinwood...

liz is trying to get a few straight answers about other books the esteemed "historian" has written. julia evades with cryptic remarks that her books would only have been of interest to "scholars". when liz persists julia craftily reverses the conversation so that liz becomes the subject all the while not answering a simple straightforward question.

liz calls her out on this "nimble" manipulation of words and just when you think it's going to get good the action shifts to another set of characters and julia dodges yet another bullet.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.