Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0615  (Read 2612 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0615
« on: August 22, 2008, 08:19:24 PM »

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
  • True devotion! I love, love, love dear Barnabas!
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0615
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 09:37:11 PM »
Mrs. Johnson tells Barnabas she resisted the temptation to call the sheriff, but she didn't resist, Harry stopped her!

Julia and the sheriff meet in the woods and Julia says "The woods are scary." it sounds so very much unlike her. It's quite jarring to hear.

At the end of the episode Barnabas seemd as if he was giving in to the fact that someone was bound to discover he was the victim of the vampire, and that if anyone found out, it might as well be Julia. It was as though it was a relief to him that someone finally knew.
Barnabas to little Sarah's ghost: "I forbid you to leave! I beg you to stay!"

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 09:40:20 PM »
This Patterson seemed on the verge of considering the supernatural with Barnabas.   Something happening right now in the house that was affecting him?  That's either the supernatural or something medical.  Julia should mantion having heard the back door slam.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 10:20:23 PM »
This is the fourth Sheriff Patterson!  The most re-casted character on DS.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 11:01:12 PM »
I wish somebody would throw Sheriff Patterson #4 off of Widows Hill.  He seems to think he's on Perry Mason, not Dark Shadows.  I felt terribly sorry for Jonathan Frid, who had to do quite a long scene with him.

Lovely performance by Frid, despite his ghastly co-worker.  Nobody does sick better than jf.

It is really extraordinary how Angelique refuses to learn.  She has had ample experience of the sort of punishments Nicholas doles out for disobedience, but here she is, once again disobeying him.  He tells her to stay away from Barnabas, and she feeds on him so often it's a wonder she isn't bloated out of all recognition.  I imagine Eve is thrilled that Adam's too sick to pay any attention to her right now.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 02:44:48 AM »
Angelique will never learn.  Who do we hate most this sheriff, Dr Lang, or the last Dr Woodard?

This show I kept saying where is Julia, and why hasn't she caught on?

Great Friday ending. JF did a great job.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Joy Collins

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 04:29:40 PM »
Who do we hate most this sheriff, Dr Lang, or the last Dr Woodard?

Hmm, tough! I think my vote has to go for the last Dr. Woodard. Of course, I really loved Dr. Woodard #2, so in a way I think it was better that he got replaced because
[spoiler]I wouldn't have wanted to see him get killed.[/spoiler]

The last sheriff was pretty awful though. But in my opinion, Dr. Lang was too hilarious to hate! [ghost_cheesy]

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 11:26:01 PM »
Here comes Julia and her blue dress and green/twedish/colored coat which I love.  Did anyone besides me notice any apparent cut, and not a seamless one either.  One minute Patterson, Julia, and Mrs. J are in the foyer at the doors and suddenly it cuts and they are in the drawing room?  Perhaps this poor Patterson couldn't remember his lines?  He wasn't really that good bless his heart.  Or maybe something else happend.  I don't know.  I just noticed this and wanted to know if anyone else did?  In my notes I wrote, "POOR COP HE KEEPS READING THE THE PROMPTER" so I agree with everyone else he wasn't good very good at his craft.  Julia is insistent on examining Barnabas.  MMM HUH!  Julia you dirty girl.... [ghost_tongue2]

I agree Dr Lang is a HOOT!! 
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 08:52:59 AM »
This is the fourth Sheriff Patterson!  The most re-casted character on DS.
That rates a milestone! [milestone] This Sheriff Patterson was the worst actor. Indeed, he did appear to be reading the teleprompter a lot. [winkg]

Did anyone besides me notice any apparent cut, and not a seamless one either.  One minute Patterson, Julia, and Mrs. J are in the foyer at the doors and suddenly it cuts and they are in the drawing room?
I noticed that, too. [ghost_smiley]

I loved the end, when Julia finally discovered Barnabas' bite marks! You could hear the love and concern in her voice as she said, "Oh, Barnabas." [luv] It was a touching scene.  [love9]

Angelique reminded me of a drug addict. She just couldn't get enough of Barnabas' blood! [shkdg]

Many times, Barnabas was self-assured and in control, but he clearly was not when Angelique summoned him. It was fun to watch Barnabas being so distracted when Sheriff Patterson was questioning him. [ghost_cheesy]

----- Sally -----
[coolg] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 09:51:46 AM »
Dr. Lang.  I liked the last Dr. Woodard.  He was different from the next-to-last, but he was good in his own way.  And Sheriff Patterson #4 was just in and out, whereas Dr. Lang went on forever.  Even after he died he made a return appearance, which was sheer cruelty on the part of the writers.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 09:59:44 AM »
This Patterson seemed fine to me.   AP was bad but didn't have much to work with, with dialogue.   Woodard 3 was a replacement at a bizarre point in the storyline, and he suffers our wrath as a result, decades later.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 02:21:11 AM »
Julia always looked great in the blue dress. Always a good color for her.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2008, 05:35:52 PM »

I simply could not stand the last Dr. Woodard (Peter Turgeon) and his stupidity. For me, the only good thing about him was we didn't have to put up with him and his very small IQ for very long.

Thank goodness Julia now knows that Barnabas is now also the vampire's victim. Now she understands why Joe wanted to strangle him. Now she has just has to find out just who the vampire is.

I love watching Angelique bite Barnabas. Robin calls some of her bites on him erotic and I agree. It's thrilling, yet sexy to watch. Though it's discouraging to realize that she intends to make him a vampire again.

As for this Sheriff Patterson, I agree he doesn't really cut the mustard. Though I can tolerate him more than Woodard number three. At least AP's Sheriff Patterson could see something was up with Barnabas.

Does anyone know why Dana Elcar had left the show? He's my favorite sheriff.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2008, 07:39:56 PM »
Does anyone know why Dana Elcar had left the show? He's my favorite sheriff.

Unfortunately I've never seen a definitive answer to that.  His last appearance (in #329) taped on Sept. 15, 1967, and when the weekend was over, Vince O'Brien had taken over his part (in #328, which was shot out of order on Sept. 18).  Elcar was on the show just over a year, so perhaps it was a contract issue?  [Note: The Aftra strike hadn't started yet, so if Elcar was given his walking papers, it wasn't because he refused to cross the line.]

About a month later, Angus Cairns had the role briefly.  Then O'Brien returned, but we got Alfred Sandor at this point, and O'Brien was the series' final George Patterson.  I think I got that right.  Anyway, it's all pretty schizo.

Of course, the part was recast again for HoDS, giving Dennis Patrick a role in the movie.

Offline JWGucciEnvy

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Soap Opera Saga
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2008, 05:38:02 AM »
The Barnabas and The Sheriff scenes were painful to watch today. It was long and uncomfortable to watch. Seriously, how did he get cast as the sheriff? Did he know any of his lines? I'm not trying to be mean, but I am sure there was plenty of other actors in New York who could have remember their lines. Every other sentence he was looking for his lines. sigh.

[devil2]

BTW I just order Box Set #12 and #13 Today !!! Woo-HOO!! [skelleton_runs]
I love Soap Operas & Comic Books