Author Topic: Saturday at the Fest  (Read 5868 times)

Offline Irishcoda

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • This That & The Other Thing
Saturday at the Fest
« on: August 16, 2009, 04:02:00 PM »
Hi you guys,

I haven't posted in a long long time but have been lurking and keeping up with DS news and the daily episodes you guys are doing.  :)

My husband and I went to the Fest on Saturday.  I mostly wanted to see friends, hear the presentation on time travel, and then enjoy watching Jonathan Frid and the cast reunion.  

The last time I went to a Fest was in 2001.  If I'm not crazy, I seem to remember that there were volunteers to help meet the needs of disabled fans.  Am I nuts or did that happen?  Well, anyway, my DH and I both have spine issues now and both of us need surgery.  We are still ambulatory but can't stand for more than a few minutes at a time.

Anyway, I saw some of my friends and that was wonderful.  Both my hubby and I totally enjoyed the time travel presentation.  We left our seats (in the back) and went to get lunch and visit the merchandise room.  We got back around 2.  I knew the room would be crowded because of Frid and then the reunion.  But what I didn't figure on was that there wouldn't be a single seat left, not even way in the back, last row.  People are standing up all over, packing in like sardines.  People in wheelchairs aren't in the front, like I thought they'd be, they're all over.  Some people in the chairs are asking the standees to please move because they can't see.  There's also no volunteers around.

Hubs and I went from back up to the front searching for friends.  There's lots of chairs empty except for purses or programs—you know “saved for others” seats.  There's also a bunch of “reserved for Marcy” seats, most are empty.  One of my friends tells me, if Marcy's volunteers all don't show up, maybe we could sit there.  So Ted and I sit.  A woman (a volunteer I recognized from before) leans over right off and says, “You can't sit here.”

I say, “My husband and I are disabled in that we can't stand.  Can we sit here and see if all the volunteers show up?”

She goes, “Well, then they'd be for the stars.”

About she also didn't say, listen, let's go find two chairs for you.  I don't care if we sat in the back of the room up against the back wall.  All we needed was to sit down.  But she said nothing.

Ted and I went back out to the table where people had originally registered us.  I thought, okay, maybe on the original online form there’d been a place to indicate you needed accommodation as a disabled person.  So I asked the one guy.  He didn’t know, referred me over to Anne.  So I asked Anne the same question.  She didn’t answer my question but she did say, “You need to find a volunteer and tell them you need to have a seat.”

I said the only volunteers I’d seen were sitting down in the front and there weren’t any chairs in there.  Anne goes, “Well, I don’t know what to tell you.”

Guys, I was shocked.  She repeated herself, like maybe I was deaf.  

So my husband and I left.  We didn’t see Jonathan Frid nor the cast reunion.  We’d driven over two hours to spend the day and had spend only three hours there. I mean, I might have been able to manage sitting on the floor but not my husband.  There was no point in staying.

I looked on the registration form at the website today and I’m seeing that there IS no place to indicate a person is in a wheelchair/needs a chair/needs any accommodation.  ?? ??

I figured I would write to Jim Pierson or whoever’s in charge of the Fest now and suggest they add that to the form.  Then wouldn’t they consider having a place set aside for people who need it?  You know what else?  There *are* deaf fans of DS out there because they can get captioned versions of it now…but deaf people sure can’t come if there’s no interpreters and no way to request them, right?

I did enjoy spending time with my friends, though.  That part was good.
I've learned.... that everyone wants to
live on top of the mountain, but all the
happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it.
--Andy Rooney

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Saturday at the Fest
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 06:44:16 PM »
If I'm not crazy, I seem to remember that there were volunteers to help meet the needs of disabled fans.

I'm pretty sure that in the past the Fest has accommodated disabled fans. I'm sorry to read that you had problems this year - and that caused you to miss out on something you were looking forward to.

And welcome back!  [ghost_smiley]

Offline Irishcoda

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 06:52:11 PM »
Thanks, M.B.  Love the glow in the dark eyes! [ghost_smiley]
--Andy Rooney

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 07:45:06 PM »
I'm so sorry to hear about what happened to you and your husband, Irishcoda!  I work with people with disabilities, so I'm really touchy about this.  I certainly hope you do push this with Jim Pierson and whoever else puts on the Fests.  There can be no excuse for this.  They need to make sure that all venues and activities are accessible, including by providing reserved space for wheelchairs as well as chairs for those who require them.  And obviously, there must be some type of "workshop" with the volunteers so they know what to do.  All that the one you you asked - or any of the ones you asked - about acquiring a couple extra chairs had to do was was go look for some, or ask one of the hotel personnel who would've fetched them immediately.  It was as simple as that and it boggles my mind that no one you asked had any clue (or desire) as to what to do.

Oh, and Jim Pierson or whoever is in charge had better refund your admission fee and provide you with free admission the next time you are able to attend. 

Gerard

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 07:53:12 PM »
Aww, that is a shame.  I've volunteered in the past and I know what you mean about not always being enough chairs or people holding spots for others.  I think it is a shame that an able bodied person did not offer to give up their seat and stand.  Something I just thought of would be for anyone who is in a similiar situation may want to think about bringing one of those little chairs that fold up.  I've seen some that can actually be folded and fit into a bag and then you just pull the legs down when you need a seat.  You may not get a front row view but at least be able to rest your legs while listening to what's going on.
The staff, volunteers and hotel need to  get more on the ball with this issue because we dark shadows fans are all aging and more and more will need assistance for future fest.
I am glad you enjoyed your time with friends~~
" Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"

Offline rainingwolf

• Full Poster
  • Not all wolves are werewolves!
    • View Profile
    • MySpace Page
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 08:29:46 PM »
It is a shame, but the reality is that most able bodied folks don't think about the needs of the disabled. I have learned that we must advocate for ourselves. So please do follow through with writing to the Fest organizers. Your idea of a line on the registration is great-that will give the organizers an idea of how many wheelchairs/regular chairs to expect. Gerard is right also-you need to insist the price be refunded since the Fest was not accessible.  And by the way, all public events are required under ADA to be accessible. I really want to go to the Fest the next time it is in California, so those of us who need accommodation (I am in a power chair and on a ventilator)should get moving on making sure the changes happen the next time. Good post, Irishcoda! I am sorry  you were not able to enjoy the entire Fest.
"Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History..."

Offline Irishcoda

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 09:44:41 PM »
Thanks, Gerard.  I thought that the organizers used to do a better job with this but I wasn't having physical problems in 2001 (last time I attended) so maybe I'm wrong...or things have really changed!   [ghost_tongue]  You're right about the admission.  I hadn't thought to ask for it back but it was a two hour drive for us one way...
--Andy Rooney

Offline Irishcoda

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009, 09:49:42 PM »
Something I just thought of would be for anyone who is in a similiar situation may want to think about bringing one of those little chairs that fold up.  I've seen some that can actually be folded and fit into a bag and then you just pull the legs down when you need a seat.

You know, that's not a bad idea until they get on the ball with this one.  I wish we'd thought of it.  I wouldn't have cared if we'd been up against the back wall, just needed seats.  But I'll tell you...if there'd been a fire or any kind of emergency, it was so crowded people would've been hurt or killed--especially if visually/mobility disabled people hadn't had someone right there looking out for them.   [ghost_tongue]
--Andy Rooney

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2009, 09:55:25 PM »
I thought the same thing about fire safety when I heard people had to stand due to a shortage of seats.  That would be an issue the hotel should look into.  My father was a fire inspector and would have had a fit.

Offline Irishcoda

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2009, 09:56:28 PM »
And by the way, all public events are required under ADA to be accessible. I really want to go to the Fest the next time it is in California, so those of us who need accommodation (I am in a power chair and on a ventilator)should get moving on making sure the changes happen the next time.

Funny thing, I'm used to advocating for the deaf.  I have deaf parents and used to be a sign language interpreter.  Now I need to get used to advocating for my husband and me.  

About the ADA:  Wow, that's right--I'd forgotten that after nearly 10 years of not interpreting anymore!  *All* public functions must be accessible to all.  Many times I'd be hired to go to a town meeting or school board or community event just in case deaf people showed up.  The deaf people didn't have to ask ahead of time.  

It should be that way for all of us but I think at the very least the Fest committee could find out from us if/what accommodations we need.  It *is* the law.
--Andy Rooney

Offline Irishcoda

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2009, 09:59:59 PM »
We probably should have gone right around to the hotel desk but didn't think about it, we were so upset.  I don't know if it's crowded again today or not. 
--Andy Rooney

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2009, 10:08:16 PM »
You're right about the admission.  I hadn't thought to ask for it back but it was a two hour drive for us one way...

A two hour drive each way!  Then Jim Pierson also owes you for gas and mileage!  H-E-Double-Hockey-Sticks, he should pick up your lunch tab, too!  And throw in a new washer and dryer for good measure!  I know that was silly, but right now I'm so dog-gone mad!!!! [ghost_mad]  And I can't believe that no one there had the decency to offer you their seats.  Let me tell you, if I were there, I would've seen to it that you got them, even if I had to yank them out from under someone.  What's the matter with these people?  Our beloved Jonathan Frid is there.  He may not be non-ambulatory, but most likely he wouldn't be able to chase Alex Stephens around the stage hitting him with his cane anymore.  Imagine if he needed some assistance; what would they do, just gauk at him and say there's nothing they can do?

All our friends who are there now, start talking to people, especially those in charge, about this!  Make an issue out of it!  Rouse some rabble!   oooooooooo........I'm just so mad!!!!!!!!!

Gerard

Offline Irishcoda

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2009, 10:28:53 PM »
I think it'd be a great idea--the more people who wrote to the fest organizers about the issue the better--even able bodied people should write.  Someone pointed out that a lot of us fans are getting older and more and more people are going to need accommodations of one sort or another. 

One of the stars joked one year we'd start having Fests in the nursing home.  The committee ought to think about that.  They definitely would not treat Jonathan Frid--or any of their VIPs that way.  Fans should receive no less respect than simple courtesy and accommodation for needs.

On a side note:  I wasn't even all that impressed with the hotel's idea of "accommodations" in the restroom.  The disabled stall was way down the at the very end of the room, no short distance.  When you go into the ladies' room, there's a sharp turn to get to the stalls.  Not easy to maneuver.   [ghost_tongue]
--Andy Rooney

Offline 4everfridean

• Junior Poster
  • Belonging heart, soul and neck to the vampire!
    • View Profile
    • The Collins Mausoleum fanzine online
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2009, 12:14:43 AM »
 Our beloved Jonathan Frid is there.  He may not be non-ambulatory, but most likely he wouldn't be able to chase Alex Stephens around the stage hitting him with his cane anymore.  Imagine if he needed some assistance; what would they do, just gawk at him and say there's nothing they can do?

We kind of saw the answer to that last year when he fell on stage during his Sunday program.  There were half a dozen people, including his assistants, right there.  But the fans?  I was in the second row both Saturday and Sunday last year, and had someone try to take a seat I HAD to save because it was for my then 12 year old son, who was sometimes with us, sometimes with another family (and we gave up the seat when we found our son was with the other family).  We had to rotate out getting food, bathroom, etc. the entire weekend because if your seat gets left open, it WILL be taken.  Are there really fans so pig-headed that they couldn't show some respect to those who could not stand?  I'm with you, Gerard, I've been angry about this since I first read it this morning.

It is high time, after over 25 years of this, that this nonsense stopped!  Imagine how, if the movie takes off, movie fans start showing up.  We will be laughed to scorn over this utter idiocy of stampeding like cattle.  It's even true of the banquet, and while I'm at it, HOW ABOUT A DRESS CODE???  It irks me no end that people can't even be bothered to put on something besides T shirts and jeans for something they've paid $60 to attend.  If they can afford to do that, they can darn well get something decent to wear.  I'm not asking for black-tie (even though that was, in essence, what my family and I did last year because we were combining it with another occasion), but I think a no-denim rule would not be out of line.

Oh, before I go on ranting, I'd better just stop.  Thank you to those who have listened.  Julie

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2009, 12:35:59 AM »
I've given up on getting a good seat in the ballroom so usually I head straight to the back.  It's kind of nice that way if you need to run out to the restroom and just discreetly leave if you get a bit bored with what' going on at the time.
It doesn't bother me what people wear ( within reason) so much.  I'm sure  many save and pinch pennies all year just for the opportunity to go and feel the whole fest experience and fashion may not be on their priority list.  I gave up the whole banquet thing a few years ago when I realized the cost did not equal the quality of food.  The last time my meal was not edible so I've skipped it and usually find a nice local place to eat and then head back to say my good byes until next year [ghost_sad]